Yaris/Fiesta 1.4di,peugot 206 1.4i,peugot 307 1.4i - 1.4 DIESEL cars...up to £2300...advice pls? - TRAVELMAN

Guys/gals,

My trusty 106 xnd is getting old now & I need another car. Deffo want 1.4disel-as cheap tax & car insurance. I don't do a huge lot of miles but want diesel as engines go on & on...can you advise which you think of the 4 above are best bet? They're all about the same (I think!) for economy/tax/insurance-but which do you think are the most reliable/cheapest for parts? I'll probably buy from a dealer as no expert at all so wouldn't want to buy privately....although if I saw a good private deal I might pay for an rac/aa inspection...

Any advice? Clueless about cars!

Thanks!

Yaris/Fiesta 1.4di,peugot 206 1.4i,peugot 307 1.4i - 1.4 DIESEL cars...up to £2300...advice pls? - Avant

"I don't do a huge lot of miles but want diesel as engines go on & on."

Sadly although that was true of older diesel engines like the one in your 106, newer models have components whivh are liable to expensive failure as they get older.

At your budget level I'd suggest looking for a petrol Toyota Yaris (go for the 1.3) or Corolla. Old petrol Toyotas are the ones that go on and on.

Yaris/Fiesta 1.4di,peugot 206 1.4i,peugot 307 1.4i - 1.4 DIESEL cars...up to £2300...advice pls? - Auristocrat

First generation Mazda 2 built between 2003-07 - third model in the Fiesta/Fusion line up. European versions built by Ford using same engines, etc as the Fiesta/Fusion. Petrol or diesel versions.

Yaris/Fiesta 1.4di,peugot 206 1.4i,peugot 307 1.4i - 1.4 DIESEL cars...up to £2300...advice pls? - TRAVELMAN

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies! I suppose at the budget I've got anythings a bit of a risk! Will check out the mazda 2 & third generation fiestas. After posting on here I did see v. good reviews on parkers of the yaris-my only concern is the cost of parts (!). In some respects it's 'better the devil you know' but the heater matrix on my 106 is clogged-so only a touch of warmth in winter-leak somewhere so misty inside car in am, dodgy knocking suspension/ball joint & a blowing exhaust! Again i could get most fixed for around £200 i guess but its old now (p plate). Still its economical & on a p plate-will run happily on properly (bs standard) made bio diesel which is good. Might even consider another 106 but wanted something a bit posher & more economical.

Any other thoughsw would ge great! Can i ask what the Mazda & 3rd gen fiestas have over & above my choices? Just more reliable?

Yaris/Fiesta 1.4di,peugot 206 1.4i,peugot 307 1.4i - 1.4 DIESEL cars...up to £2300...advice pls? - Bobbin Threadbare

You'll get a newer Mazda/Fiesta for your money than any Toyota, in general (lower mileage too more often than not).

They're cheap to service and repair, and also to insure. More spacious too. Petrol Mazdas have a reputation (which I can back up from my own experience) of running, and running, and running.....! They don't seem to die.

Some examples:

Petrol Yaris - www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20114943451...p

Diesel Yaris - www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20120544559...p

Petrol Mazda 2 (this one's a 1.6) - www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20120644812...p

Fiesta - www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20113541282...p

I've a friend who runs an 03 plate petrol Fiesta; she drives it between the North-West and London frequently and it handles that well. Its seats are quite comfy.

Thanks-will look into those!

Yaris/Fiesta 1.4di,peugot 206 1.4i,peugot 307 1.4i - 1.4 DIESEL cars...up to £2300...advice pls? - madf

I have a 2003 Yaris 1.4 diesel. Short journeys are not a problem. (owned since 2005)

I only travel c 6,000 miles a year and average 57mpg, £30 Road Fund Licence, sub £200 insurance.. and servcing costs by Toyota are sub £200 a pop.. but I diy so less.

It has none of the design faults of its competitoirs(like VW, or Renualt) nor do its electrics give up after 8 years (like VW) and it's near the top in reliability reviews.

Lots of cheap pattern parts.. but as they can do 200k miles plus if maintained, rarely needed.

Diesels without DPF are IDEAL town cars as fuel economy when cold is excellent - unlike petrols.

Try to get 45mpg with a small petrol car driven on 2 mile trips in winter.. very difficult. A petrol Yaris will average under 40mpg in those circumstances.

Nice to drive and park as well. Tyres are cheap c £50 each..

A 5 door is more comfortable for passengers...

Ideal shopping car, but perfectly acceptable 300 miles on motorways...(where it does over 65mpg)

Edited by madf on 10/02/2012 at 11:58

Yaris/Fiesta 1.4di,peugot 206 1.4i,peugot 307 1.4i - 1.4 DIESEL cars...up to £2300...advice pls? - Bobbin Threadbare

Madf has hit the nail on the head there - it's the DPF that causes trouble. If you can find a well looked after non-DPF diesel example (of any car) then you will save yourself a few quid on fuel. Also, a lot of people prefer how a diesel drives and responds.

Hi! Sorry to be thick....does that mean the DPF is NOT fitted on Toyota Yaris ? Also...what are yourr thoughts on the clio 1.5d 2002-2004?

Mk I Yarises (Yarii?) don't have dpf but Mk II do I believe. Also the D4-D ones have the dual mass flywheel.....

My sister's partner runs a 2003 Clio. It's ok; nothing special as far as tax and insurance go and it's very small. His ECU went kaputt too - they do not like to be driven in very wet conditions it would seem!

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 10/02/2012 at 17:18

Yaris/Fiesta 1.4di,peugot 206 1.4i,peugot 307 1.4i - 1.4 DIESEL cars...up to £2300...advice pls? - madf

Renault 1.5dci has a built in DPF.. which is troublesome..

Persoanlly I would never buy an elderly Renault as the electrics do not stand age well.. Nor does much else...

(which is really being polite.. )

Mark1 Yaris - to 2005 NO DPF.

After that? Yes.. incarnation of Satan fitted -.

Thanks SO MUCH! I'm leaning towards the yaris....! What is a dual mass flywheel?

And how do you guys think the corsa 1.3td1 & fiesta 1.4di (2002-2004) compare to the yaris (I'm thinking servicing etc!).

Yaris/Fiesta 1.4di,peugot 206 1.4i,peugot 307 1.4i - 1.4 DIESEL cars...up to £2300...advice pls? - SteveLee

+1 for the Yaris petrol, it'll soldier on forever. Daihatsu Charade/Sirion shares many of the Yaris underpinnings and is even better value - not as good looking though.

Thanks! How do you rate the yaris 1.4 diesel? Will have a look at the daihatsu...

Yaris/Fiesta 1.4di,peugot 206 1.4i,peugot 307 1.4i - 1.4 DIESEL cars...up to £2300...advice pls? - Avant

Madf is of course right, and speaks from experience: the older non-DPF Yaris diesel will give as good service as the petrol. But small diesels don't sell as well as they did when the Peugeot 205 and 106 were in their heyday, and if you want a Yaris you'll find more petrol Yarises (Yares, if you like, Bobbin) than diesels.

Remember that at your budget condition is more important than make or model, and any of the suggestions made by others above are worth looking at.

If you search this forum for technical issues buy model, (and allow for the fact some cars are sold in greater volumes than others).. Toyotas are llargely notable by their absence,, and Yares even more so..

My local MOT inspectors comments are:

"Not many problems with Yaris.

Lots of problems with eldely fiats. and eledely Citroens"

Not that he's complaining about elderly cars failing: he makes loads of money repeairing them.. (and he's rather good as well)