Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - Astra 1.3cdti Any reason not to buy? - rpmmatt

I am after a cheap estate to replace my battered V-reg Focus 1.8tddi. Been seeing quite a few of these 1.3 cdti Astra's coming up, mostly ex-fleet. They are coming in just under my budget and I fancy something a little newer than I currently have.

Will be driving about 60-70 miles a day, mostly stop start round town(basically using it as a small courier vehicle)

Other than being a little slow and low spec, neither of which bother me, is there any reason not to go for one of these, the cheap tax and very low insurance group is attractive.

Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - Astra 1.3cdti Any reason not to buy? - Big John

One reason TO buy one is I believe the 1.3 doesn't have a DPF

Yes, lack of DPF would be a bonus. And considering the 1.3 has 90bhp, same as my Focus, it can't be that awful surely.

Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - Astra 1.3cdti Any reason not to buy? - unthrottled

Reason not to buy: the 1.7D is nicer to drive and more economical.

Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - Astra 1.3cdti Any reason not to buy? - jamie745

Define 'nicer to drive' though when we're talking about small Vauxhall diesels.

Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - Astra 1.3cdti Any reason not to buy? - Big John

Indeed

1.3 would do the job though

Edited by Big John on 03/02/2012 at 23:03

Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - Astra 1.3cdti Any reason not to buy? - unthrottled

Define nicer to drive:

The 1.3 will make as much power as the 1.8tddi-once the turbo is spooled. From a standing start, you'll have no assistance from the turbo and you'll have about 30% less power than the 1.8. On the motorway-no problem, but stop start work will be more of a chore.

Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - Astra 1.3cdti Any reason not to buy? - Avant

Is the 1.7 a lot more expensive to tax and insure? If so and you're not worried about lack of performance (and possible turbo lag with a small-capacity turbo-diesel), the 1.3 should be satisfactory if unexciting. But if not, the 1.7 should be better all-round and probably no less economical.

Probably not a huge difference in running costs, there just seemes to a lot of the 1.3's around at the moment was all.

Performance doesn't bother me to much, as this only a work car.

Vauxhall Astra G Diesel - Astra 1.3cdti Any reason not to buy? - RT

There's a big flaw in this idea - Vauxhall didn't fit the 1.3CDTi in the Astra-G (1998-2006), it was only available with the 1.7CDTi, 2.0Di or 2.0DTi - presumably the OP means an Astra-H (2004-2011) which has the choice of 1.3CDTi, 1.7CDTi, 1.9CDTi 120 or 1.9CDTi 150

Indeed i do. looking at 57 platers mostly.