Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost - Trilogy

Ford has announced prices for new ultra-efficient three-cylinder petrol engined Focus EcoBoost, which will be available from next month. The entry-level Focus Edge will be priced at £16,245, a £250 premium over the 104bhp 1.6 model, while the 118hp 5dr will be £500 more.

The turbocharged 1.0-litre engine will be offered in two power levels, and both will qualify for zero vehicle excise duty in the first year. The most potent will offer 123hp, delivering a claimed 56.5mpg on the combined cycle while producing only 114g/km of Co2.

Equipped with the 99bhp Ecoboost engine, the Ford Focus returns an average of 58.9mpg and Co2 emissions of 109g/km, best in class for a petrol engine.

Although the all-new 1.0 litre EcoBoost’s cylinder block can fit onto a sheet of A4 paper, it has the highest power density of any Ford production engine to date, with 125lb ft of peak torque (147lb ft on overboost) between 1,400 and 4,500rpm.

Mark Ovenden, Ford of Britain managing director, said: “Gone are the days when the number of cylinders dictates performance. This highly efficient, technically advanced powertrain is not only great fun to drive, but it delivers fuel economy improvements and ultra-low CO2 emissions which lead to real world cost savings for our customers.”

It will be interesting to see if the claimed fuel consumption translates in the real world!

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost - Avant

It may take more talent than the average Ford salesman possesses to sell a 1.0 for £250 more than a 1.6, unless the punter is in the know as you and I are and can believe that the 1.0 may perform better.

Engines like this could in time burst the diesel bubble, but only if\:

- they're priced sensibly,

- they last as well as less-stressed higher-capacity engines (I'm not saying they won't, but time will tell), and

- they are economical in normal driving, not just pussyfooting about to prove a point.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost - unthrottled

On the motorway, it's going to get caned by the 1.6TDCi in terms of fuel economy.

As I've said before, everything you see on a passenger car was used on trucks decades ago. To haulage firms, fuel economy matters-to most car drivers, economy is a little more than a bragging point at the water cooler.

I've yet to see a truck engine equipped with spark plugs.

But that doesn't mean it won't be any good. It'll warm up faster than a diesel, and it has a more flexible powerband.

But don't expect miracles in terms of fuel economy. The tiny 0.9l Fiat twin air had all the bells and whistles of variable valve timing, direct injection, and turbocharging-but a lot of buyers were disappointed in the overall consumption. And it has the benefit of being in a tiny car...

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost - jamie745

Despite being something of a car enthusiast i have absolutely no idea how they work. I filled my washer bottle once, that was progress.

However i just tend to believe that a bigger engine is best. A 1.0litre will be working harder and more stressed on a motorway (especially in a heavy car like a Focus) than an engine twice as big - simple fact.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost - ChannelZ

On the motorway, it's going to get caned by the 1.6TDCi in terms of fuel economy.

Shame the 1.6TDCI is an awful engine. Injectors that leak, DPF that clogs, urea bags that need refilled, in winter it never really warms up sufficiently leaving cabin heating to an inefficient electric heater....less said about the power delivery, especially on the engines with the dynamic overboost. My 1.8 petrol Mondeo has better low end torque and driveability round town than a Focus with the 1.6TDCI off-boost.

Ford need to get rid of the 1.6 Sigma - they won't sell the 1.0 Ecoboost unless they do. I can't see any point in that old engine, it's not very powerful, it's got high emissions and poor fuel economy. It's 10 years past it's best IMHO.

Edited by ChannelZ on 31/01/2012 at 09:07

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost - injection doc

"Shame the 1.6TDCI is an awful engine. Injectors that leak, DPF that clogs, urea bags that need refilled, in winter it never really warms up sufficiently leaving cabin heating to an inefficient electric heater....less said about the power delivery, especially on the engines with the dynamic overboost."

This only applies to the focus.

Our 1.6TDCi Fiesta has been absolutley fantastic, economical, no problems with injectors or turbo, doesnt have DPf or urea bag, heater gets too hot even in winter & the power delivery is terrific for a small car , pulls like a train from 1600rpm and very rarley ever even get to 3000 rpm as their is no need.

Strangley a 1.8 petrol Mondeo produces 165NM of torque @3950rpm & a 1.6TDCi engine produces 204NM of Torque @1750RPM so dont quite see how a mondeo 1.8 petrol has better low end torque ?

As for a 1.0ltr engine with turbo, others have tried and not done too well and as for the 1.4TSi VW with supercharger & Turbo well the engines couldnt last.

Time will tell

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost - daveyjp

Definately a car for those who pootle round town and have the very occasional motorway trip where its inadequacies can be tolerated.

I'd rather have the slightly higher annual running costs of the well proven 1.6 petrol and live with the fact I'll never be presented with a bill for a new turbo.

Strangley a 1.8 petrol Mondeo produces 165NM of torque @3950rpm & a 1.6TDCi engine produces 204NM of Torque @1750RPM so dont quite see how a mondeo 1.8 petrol has better low end torque ?

As for a 1.0ltr engine with turbo, others have tried and not done too well and as for the 1.4TSi VW with supercharger & Turbo well the engines couldnt last.

Time will tell

Perhaps the Superchips remap I have on my 1.8 helps, but in driving the petrol Mondeo will negotiate mini roundabouts and pull off cleanly in 2nd, where the 1.6TDCI Focus will sit there like a lame duck doing nothing, then suddenly take off with wheels scrabbling. Before the turbo kicks in there is a shocking lack of torque. Even in 1st the Focus doesn't inspire any sort of confidence. I don't know what it is, but the good old 1.8 MZR drives far more confidently.

I think these new, small engines will last longer, as they are designed for the specific purpose. Perhaps a few years ago, the engines were an older design with a turbo slapped on (see Renault's 1.2TCe, the TFSI you mention, Vauxhall's 1.4 and 1.6 Turbos in the Astra and Corsa).

Perhaps the Superchips remap I have on my 1.8 helps

This ain't a turbo diesel. Chipping an n/a petrol is a placebo since nothing can be done!

Good point about the power delivery in a turbo. In spite of the hyperbole, all feedback loops have lag-and from a standing start it is noticeable.

Edited by unthrottled on 31/01/2012 at 13:04

Perhaps the Superchips remap I have on my 1.8 helps

This ain't a turbo diesel. Chipping an n/a petrol is a placebo since nothing can be done!

It's not placebo - the car is remarkably better to drive when remapped. No flat spot around 2500rpm, revs towards the red line harder, and as I said there's significantly better responce at low revs. I've driven plenty of Mk3 Mondeos, and with the map mine is without doubt the best 4-pot petrol one I've driven, including the 2 litre ones in the pool.

I've had people borrow my car, and they've all remarked how well it goes, without prompting.

Yes, I agree that obviously it's not like a TD where a remap adds 30-50hp, but it certainly transforms the car enough that it's noticeable. Fill it with super unleaded and it goes even better, though that's not something I do often.

Considering my car now has 70k on the clock, and is only on it's 2nd set of spark plugs since new, I'm more than impressed by it's performance. It goes far better than the 1.8VVT Vectra (140hp) it replaced.

Weird. Is it drive by wire? Maybe Ford intentionally left a 'flat spot' at 2500 RPM-beats me as to why though.

Weird. Is it drive by wire? Maybe Ford intentionally left a 'flat spot' at 2500 RPM-beats me as to why though.

Nope, it's throttle cable. The flat spot conincides with 60mph in 5th - perhaps some pathetic fuel saving attempt?

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost - barney100

Seems a little underpowered to me, 1 litre in a Focus size car.The engine will have to be workede hard to keep up with the traffic surely. I hope it does well though, perhaps there is more power in the engine than meets the eye.

Seems a little underpowered to me, 1 litre in a Focus size car.The engine will have to be workede hard to keep up with the traffic surely. I hope it does well though, perhaps there is more power in the engine than meets the eye.

They did the Mk2 Focus with a 80hp 1.4 petrol. People didn't die due to going to slowly in that.

perhaps there is more power in the engine than meets the eye.

118hp is 118hp however you look at it!

It'll be absolutely fine when bowling along, but from a standing start (as with all small turbo engines), there'll be no disguising the lack of displacement. The 3 cylinder throb will also be noticeable at low speed; it'll be interesting to see how well the DMF attenuates it.