Opel Corsa - Tyre pressures on hire car - AlwaysANewbie

Sometimes I rent in Germany, especially basic Opel Corsas. The tyre pressures are usually set to 2.6 (front), and 3.2 (rear).

I'm sure that this is for a fully laden vehicle when I'm just on my own with little luggage. Therefore I should change the pressures to 2.0 (front) and 1.8 (rear) according to the manual.

But why should hire companies assume the fully laden pressures are the most appropriate? What are the dangers of me not bothering to change the pressures at the start of the rental, or not changing them back at the end, if the next renter has a family and suitcases?

Opel Corsa - Tyre pressures on hire car - thunderbird

Sometimes I rent in Germany, especially basic Opel Corsas. The tyre pressures are usually set to 2.6 (front), and 3.2 (rear).

That is 38 psi front and 46 psi rear in old money which is way above the manufacturers recomendations even for a fully loaded vehicle. It is likely to make the vehicle ride very hard on the road and possibly unstable when it bounces on bumps rather than absorbing them. Reduce them to the correct pressure for the load/speed just like you would on your own car.

Opel Corsa - Tyre pressures on hire car - 1litregolfeater

The recommended pressures are purely that, recommended.

By someone who doesn't know you, how you drive, what you like, how good or bad you are.

As the operator it is up to you, not the manufacturer or supplier, to ensure your own safety, and that of others.

You can tune your drive a lot by varying pressures, if you know what you are doing. If you don't. the maker's recommendations are always good.

After a lot of driving, I always put in 40 all round, as a starting point. I sacrifice traction and grip for more feel and lightness. I may reduce to 15 in snow.

You must do what is right, for you.