vw golf 1.6 mk4 2001 - vw golf mk4 starter motor proplems - lukedall

Hi, I recently had trouble starting my vw golf 2001 1.6 mk4 on a very hot (35C) day. It made a loud grinding noise. I called road side assistance and by the time they got out, the problem had stopped. this happened a few more times on very hot days until the car stopped turning over all together. I took the car to the mechanic to get the starter motor replaced. the starter motor was totally stuffed. the mechanic said he has seen this happen before so he put a relay in as well as a new starter motor. there was a small amount of damage done to the ring gear resulting in a small noise upon starting. he assured me that this will not result in any extra issues. however, on another hot day the car made the grinding noise again. the noise subsided once the car had time to cool down from the suns heat. the car works fine in normal temperatures. it is only on hot days that the noise seems to appear. any suggestions?

vw golf 1.6 mk4 2001 - vw golf mk4 starter motor proplems - Peter.N.

Not heard of high temperature causing this before, must be peculiar to Golf starters. What's happening is that the starter gear is not fully engaging with the flywheel ring and slipping which will damage both the starter and the flywheel. Under normal circumstances this can't happen as the current to the motor shouldn't be switched on until the gears are in mesh, so I would suspect a faulty starter again unless the damage to the flywheel is considerable.