Volvo V50 or Audi A4 Avant? - Lord Laughton

My wife and I are after a medium sized estate and we have narrowed it down to either an A4 Avant or a Volvo V50. Will prob go for the diesel engines in 2.0 form both around 140 bhp I read. Any views preferences? I have an 02 plate golf 130 bhp golf tdi and it's been fantastic, is the same level of reliablity, performance , economy to be found in the later 2.0 VAG tdi engine? Likewise is the Volvo 2.0 diesel the same as the focus durotec 2.0 unit? Which car is the best all round drive - we are after decent low speed drive and good mid range punch - like the golf.

What are the petrol units like in either? Dont fancy the running costs on a Volvo T5 or audi 2.0 TFSI but the costs of the 2.4 petrol Volvo or 1.8 T A4 seem to be more acceptable........

Volvo V50 or Audi A4 Avant? - jamie745

Could you give us an idea of what you're looking to spend M'Lord

Volvo V50 or Audi A4 Avant? - thunderbird

Both are not at all big for estates, we found the Volvo especially disapointing when we looked, think the saloon had a bigger lugaage capacity. If you like the VAG units have a look at the Passat, much more like a propper estate.

I really like the passat especially in 170 bhp mode! Do the earlier models 05-08 have a handbrake button on the dashboard?

Yup, forgot that bit.....looking to spend approx 7-8k on an 06/07 plate seen plenty on autotrader with around 90000 on clock should be ex fleet motrway milers.

Volvo V50 or Audi A4 Avant? - jamie745

To be honest if you want a newish properly big estate car then i think you should consider the Ford Mondeo. Im not sure exactly what you'd want a small or medium estate car for. For example a Ford Focus hatchback could rival a V50 for luggage space.

Edited by jamie745 on 26/01/2012 at 14:56

Volvo V50 or Audi A4 Avant? - thunderbird

To be honest if you want a newish properly big estate car then i think you should consider the Ford Mondeo. Im not sure exactly what you'd want a small or medium estate car for. For example a Ford Focus hatchback could rival a V50 for luggage space.

The Ford Focus Estate has far more space than a Volvo V50 and the Kia Ceed SW we bought has as much luggage space as the Mondeo Estate. We really liked the Passat Estate but the only reasonably priced one we found (supermarket) was only the 110 engine.

Volvo V50 or Audi A4 Avant? - Avant

Unless you do a high mileage, a petrol would be a better bet. The VAG 1.9 TDI and the newer common-rail 2.0 TDI are fine but the older 2.0 seems to be liable to expensive failure.

If I were you I'd look at the 1.8T petrol engine in an A4 Avant or Octavia estate: I'm not sure if the Passat came with that engine. The Octavia would be the best value of those three for your money.

A Focus with the 1.8 or 2.0 petrol engine is worth a look: remember that the Mondeo is a lot bigger than the V50 or A4 that you have in mind. Mazda 6 estate perhaps, although don't even think about a diesel Mazda.