04 vauxhall vectra 1.9 CDTI - fuel injector 3 fault - womandriver

HELP! fuel emissions light is on, car not driving properly at all, shuddering is the best way to describe it! no power. took it to mechanic where it showed a problem with fuel injector 3. injectors have been removed and tested and they're fine! egr valve, air flow meter, pump, wiring to the injectors, and everything else the mechanic can think would be causing the problem has been checked. He's stumped. when injectors were put back in and car put on computer again Fuel Injector 3 showed as a fault again. there are 4 valves behind/under the injectors, 2 of which have been bolted down! Mechanic hasn't seen this b4. does this make any sense to anyone?? Would anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

04 vauxhall vectra 1.9 CDTI - fuel injector 3 fault - ChannelZ

Injector loom is a known and common fault on these engines. He may well have "tested it", but I'm betting there's an intermittant fault in the loom. It rubs against the stupid plastic engine cover and the wires degrade inside due to the rubbing and vibrations.

The other thing you're describing sounds like the swirl flaps. These are a common fault on this engine too, they gum up and fail. The fix is to replace or remove, both method need the inlet manifold removed which is a BIG job. Took me and a mechanic friend an afternoon to remove mine, strip the swirl flaps out, cleaning the inside of the manifold, and blanking off the EGR valve, then getting the EGR mapped out through a remapping company.

To be honest, the 1.9CDTI is a pup, especially in 16c 150hp guise. EGR faults, injector wiring, injectors, water pumps failing and flinging the timing belt. My best advice is get rid before you end up with an expensive boat anchor.

Appreciate your feedback and it looks like you're spot on! We've discoverd that the swirl flap accentuator has actually been broken of the last 2 flaps and bent right back, so they're spewing oil out all over the place, and are all gunked up. It all leads back to injector 3, which is why it's showing as a fault. Thanks for your help.

04 vauxhall vectra 1.9 CDTI - fuel injector 3 fault - Railroad.

Speaking as someone who worked in a Vauxhall dealership for 15 years from 1980 to 1995 I personally think the Vectra C is close to the worst car Vauxhall have ever built. Even worse than the FD Victor.

The best car was the 1982 - 88 Cavalier, especially the 1987 facelifted models, but they're rarely seen these days more's the pity.....

Appreciate the feedback folks, thanks.

Edited by womandriver on 26/01/2012 at 10:17