Ford Focus 51 plate 1600 auto 130,000 miles - Focus electrical problems is it terminal ? - Paul Farrar

We have a intermittent complicated problem with this car.

It behaves normally for ages then suddenly you get in and turn the key and nothing, no ignition lights no radio, not even the digital clock. when you turn the key back to the off position the central locking starts going nuts !, clicking on/off in rapid succession.

This can happen after a period of non use or after a trip to the shops.

The only way to stop the central locking it is turn the key again as if to start the car, sometimes at this point you get very dim ingnition lights again. Turn it off again you get the central locking problem again.

I have booster pack that will not start the car fully charged when in this condition but it will normally start with jump leads from another car but start like it has a low battery. As soon as you connect a running car you get all the normal ignition lights.

It happened again today, and today I noticed that a relay in the auxillary relay box in the engine unit was also clicking rapidly. I norrowed this down the R7, the fuel pump relay.

Recently we have had a new battary and a new altinator. We do get a lot of "furring" deposits on the positive side of the battery, even after the altinator replacement. The car was parked on the street so I jumped the car and it started OK with jump leads and I got parked on the drive turned if off and tried to start it , back to the clicking central locking.

So I jumped it again and left it running a while. Any ideas from anybody ?

Otherwise the car is very clean, no rust and no other problems, it has been wellserviced and has had the cam belt work done.

Ford Focus 51 plate 1600 auto 130,000 miles - Focus electrical problems is it terminal ? - elekie&a/c doctor

I would start by cleaning both battery terminals and leads.Also take a look at the earth leads where they bolt onto the inner wing.Remove the bolts and thoroughly clean the metal surface and the ring terminals.There are also earth connections in the cabin ,behind each front footwell plastic trim panels.hth

Ford Focus 51 plate 1600 auto 130,000 miles - Focus electrical problems is it terminal ? - Peter.N.

I would second that. Don't assume that because the inside of the battery terminals look clean that they are, give them a good scrape with a stanley knife or a file until they are shiney and then apply some grease. Your symptoms are classic poor battery connection - unless of course your battery is faulty.

Ford Focus 51 plate 1600 auto 130,000 miles - Focus electrical problems is it terminal ? - Paul Farrar

Thanks, I will check all the earths.

The battery is quite new. One mechanic has suggested it could be the Engine Management unit, overcharging the battery - £600 to replace, I hope its just a bad earth !

Thanks to the guys who offered help.

On their advice I undid the two earth points wire brushed them cleaned all the terminals etc and then screwed them back up with lots of vasoline.

Then I tackled the battery terminals. I did notice that despite being tightened as far as they could be they were still lose on the terminal of the battery, so after I cleaned the connections and terminals I packed out the battery terminals with some heavy gauge aluminium foil tightened it all back up (no movement now the greased it all.

Turned the key, got all the ignition lights and the clockes did a full sweep and it started first time.

Fingers crossed see if this home fix helps and saves from any more expense

Ford Focus 51 plate 1600 auto 130,000 miles - Focus electrical problems is it terminal ? - Falkirk Bairn

I would also check the earth strap where it attaches to the body - detach, clan with wire brush and re-attach