Cautionary Ebay Sale Warning - PayPal - Trilogy

The other night when out with friends I was told a cautionary, true, ebay event. A friend's friend had listed a car for sale. It was listed stating it was to be trailered away and not driven. The buyer paid by PayPal and insisted on driving the vehicle home. Needless to say the vehicle apparently broke down on the way home.

The buyer claimed a refund from PayPal. PayPal paid up. The vendor told ebay the advert clearly stated the vehicle should be trailered home. PayPal didn't want to know.

Cautionary Ebay Sale Warning - PayPal - daveyjp

This is the largest flaw with Paypal and it is widely reported. If you are selling a car on e-bay instant cash transfer is the only safe way.

Cautionary Ebay Sale Warning - PayPal - Chris M

ebay has came in for a lot of criticism for buyers being ripped off by sellers. I believe it's now turned around. My wife has used ebay alot over many years. She is now quite reluctant to sell. She has been ripped off by buyers several times and paypal are no help. She has sold items (not cars) in perfect condition, the buyer then complains to ebay that the item is faulty, it's your word against theirs, but paypal refund without question. As a seller, you have little, if any, comeback and buyers know it. 99% of ebayers are honest - it's the other 1%.

Cautionary Ebay Sale Warning - PayPal - Trilogy

And, more often than not, items sent to Italy get lost in the post.

Cautionary Ebay Sale Warning - PayPal - jamie745

There was a time when ebay looked after its sellers very well, now they focus more heavily on looking after the buyers and they screw sellers over at the first opportunity. You need a proper legal boffin to write out your terms and conditions for selling a used teapot on there now.

Cautionary Ebay Sale Warning - PayPal - tony g
E bay won't allow a seller to leave negative feedback for a buyer anymore .

The system has become far to biased in favour of buyers.
Cautionary Ebay Sale Warning - PayPal - bathtub tom

And, more often than not, items sent to Italy get lost in the post.

There must be a joke about sending it by sea here, but damned if I can think of one!

Cautionary Ebay Sale Warning - PayPal - unthrottled

Perhaps they get lost at sea?

Cautionary Ebay Sale Warning - PayPal - dieselnut

Saw a nice model of a cruise ship on Ebay last week, I couldn't afford it at the time so asked the seller to put in on one side for me ;) Sorry.

Cautionary Ebay Sale Warning - PayPal - unthrottled

Good one. Filed away for the pub.

Cautionary Ebay Sale Warning - PayPal - Bobbin Threadbare

Oh groan!!

Cautionary Ebay Sale Warning - PayPal - tony g
Just a thought about the e bay 'pay pal issue,

I wonder if the police would pursue an action for fraud ,The goods were sold with an appropriate description ,the deal was done ,the car was driven away,then payment was stopped .

Sounds like fraud to me. I do know that if you paid with a cheque and the cheque bounced ,you commit a criminal offence.

Perhaps someone will pursue that line .

Tony g