VW Golf 1.4 2002 Engine BCA - How to reset an Exhaust emission warning lamp - s lyle

I had a continuous clicking noise from the front right hand side of my car which I traced to the purge valve on the top of the charcoal filter for the emission control system. I disconnected the electrical connector for the valve, whilst I had the ignition "On" (foolishly) and now that I have reconnected it, the Exhaust emission warning light is "On"and the clicking has also since stopped.

Can anybody please tell me

1) How to reset the Exhaust Emission Warning Lamp ?

2) Is this clicking common or does it point to a blocked carbon filter, dodgey purge valve or some ecu controlling the valve ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

VW Golf 1.4 2002 Engine BCA - How to reset an Exhaust emission warning lamp - injection doc

The purge valve is ECU controlled and some people do complain they can hear them clicking away.

out of interest have you had a new windscreen fitted recently or any other work carried out ? as often if a seal between the outer & inner body isnt 100% these noises are greatly exagerated from the engine compartment.

The light will need a reset with diagnostic equipment to clear the logged fault. having said that occasionally the lamp will reset after 30-50 starts & drives if the fault doesnt re-occur.

VW Golf 1.4 2002 Engine BCA - How to reset an Exhaust emission warning lamp - s lyle

Thanks for the quick reply, injection doc.

For info. I haven't had any work carried out recently.

Would one of the handheld obd code readers reset it, or does it need to go to a garage ?

VW Golf 1.4 2002 Engine BCA - How to reset an Exhaust emission warning lamp - Big John

Also - Try disconnecting your battery for 20mins.

VW Golf 1.4 2002 Engine BCA - How to reset an Exhaust emission warning lamp - ChannelZ

Just plug the connection back in, the fault will then go away, so the light will go out.

Clicking purge valve is normal. Once the canister is purged, it'll stop.