Peugeot 307 1.6 SW 2003 Petrol - Default Brake related question! - koliva
Hello all,

I have a feeling that my brake pedal is harder than it was before. This happened recently and when I press the brake pedal, the pedal itself make a kind of noise as well. There is no noise coming from the wheels when I apply brake. Today I checked the brake hydraulic level and I realized that it is above maximum level. When I opened the cap, I could easily see the fluid inside. However, I remember that I could see the filter like sieve there. My front discs are quite new but not rear ones. Brake pads are similar. I am thinking to replace rear ones but if the problem is worn brake pads and discs, the fluid level would decrease not increase right?
Can you comment on this problem? What needs to be done? Thank you.
Peugeot 307 1.6 SW 2003 Petrol - Default Brake related question! - Peter.N.

If you have recently had the pads replaced you won't get full efficiency until they have bedded in, if they were OK after being changed and this problem has occured since its likely that there is a brake servo fault.

I didn't have the discs and pads replaced recently. It was about a year ago that they are replaced. There was no such feeling before. This feeling happened recently. How can I check the break servo is really gone? I havePP2000, can I check it with PP2000? Thanks.

Peugeot 307 1.6 SW 2003 Petrol - Default Brake related question! - Peter D

If you replaced the disc's and pads the fluid level will go up. You say you have had the front disc's and pads replaced recently so it may explain the high fluid level and now the pads have bedded in the pedal will be a little firmer. Can you describe the noise and where is it comming from. Regards Peter

I haven't the discs and pads replaced. This started happening about a week ago and front discs and pads replaced about a year ago. The noise is something very similar to spring noise. Since the pedal is hard, I guess I need to apply more pressure on it and it makes a kind of squeezing-compressing noise. I went to the car to capture video just couple of minutes back but apparently the noise starts coming after some time. Maybe the noise is just because of lack of lubricant there. Since the heater is on a lot nowadays the lubricant dries after some time or whatever. Just I am trying to guess.

Edited by koliva on 07/01/2012 at 10:47

Brakes are safety critical. Does the car stop well and does anyone else drive the car and what is there opinion on the brakes. If you put your foot under the pedal can you lift it up.

Sit i the car without the engine running and press on the brakes and keep them pressed and start the engine, note what happens to the pedal then post back and tell me. Regards Peter

I need to go for a short trip now and I will have my camera with me. I will capture some videos. Thank you very much sir.

I tell you that "Brakes are safety critical" and you go out for a short trip without doing a simple test. Regards Peter

You are right sir but I did many tests before driving it.

Here is the video. www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECabV0Q3R5g

I couldn't capture the noise because it appears only while driving. I was not safe to adjust the camera while driving. When the car is stand still, it disappears.

What do you think?

Looks completely normal to me. What makes you think the pedal has become stiff. Regards Peter

When the car is stand still, there seems no problem but after driving some time, the noise starts coming and the pedal is becoming stiff. I guess I need to capture a video while I am driving otherwise it is hard to explain.

Detail this noise and exactly when does it happen. If you apply a gentle pressure on the pedal does the noise start and continue until you release the pedal. Does it sound like air being sucked through a small hole. Regards Peter

I will drive my car tomorrow and take another video for the noise. I will ask my wife's help at this time. The brakes are working well, so there is no safety issue for now.

The noise starts after driving let say 15 kilometer till the car stops. It is not continuous noise, it happens only when I apply pressure on the pedal. It is not like "air being sucked through a small hole" either. It is best to wait till I capture another video of it because it is hard to explain. If I try to explain I would say, it sounds like the noise is coming from the spring of the brake pedal which needs some lube but I am not sure because it would behave similar even the engine is not running. On the other hand, I feel the pedal becomes stiff whenever this noise occurs. Another issue is that the hydraulic level is increased. Not too much but increased instead of decrease. I could clearly see the siege when I look from the top but now I can't see because it is full of fluid now. This also makes me suspicious. Why does hydraulic level increase?

I appreciate your helps. I will look forward hearing your comment after uploading my new video tomorrow(European time).

Thanks.

Edited by koliva on 08/01/2012 at 20:27

Peugeot 307 1.6 SW 2003 Petrol - Default Brake related question! - bathtub tom

Hydraulic fluid will absorb water. Could the reservoir cap have been incorrectly fitted?

Fill an egg-cup with brake fluid and stand it on your kitchen windowsill overnight (in a saucer). You'll be surprised!

I don't think that the reservoir cap is incorrectly fitted.

I have taken another video for the noise. Note that this noise only appears after driving around 10 kilometers (depending on how many times I applied brake). The video is captured while I am driving arond 20-30 km/h till reaching the parking spot. In the video, I am pumping the brake several times to show the noise, otherwise it is not my tradition to do it :)

Please visit: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCz17kZXosQ

Where the push rod enters the servo there is a rubber boot/bellows and air does vent through this. It may shut up if you clean and lubricate the boot. I suspoect it does not make the noise at first due to the ambient temperature. Regards Peter