Chevrolet Epica - Dud Battery - oldroverboy

Latest in the saga of Epica ownership, had a bit of difficulty starting the car recently, thought it was cold/short runs, so my friendly Vaux dealerscame and boosted the car for me, and then I made sure properly charged, and less short runs, till yesterday when car started but only just, and windscreen washer level warning light coming on intermittently, with fluid level and strength good, also the glow plug warning light intermittently not coming on on the run through checks when switching the ignition to position 2. Phoned the chevrolet dealers near here and after speaking to the very helpful master techie, booked the car in for diagnostic checks (under warranty)

After a while told battery failed, will order replacement chevrolet 100amp battery, then the bad news, not available till monday, as 2 day delivery, can,t promise it will be there for sat am. disappointed, but went to my local Vaux dealer who could procure a battery overnight, but wouldn,t be warranty as that has to be chevrolet doing the work, so phoned chevrolet, told them my problem, that SWMBO is doctor on call this weekend, why could i get a battery from 1 vauxhall dealer for next morning, and not from chevrolet? Uuh? let me make a phone call sir, I'll call you back in 5 mins. (AND SHE DID!) dealer told to order part VOR, so next day delivery, called dealer to rebook car for tomorrow to be told delivery not certain! But chevrolet said it would... call in the morning to check before coming, (sensible, it is 30 miles) but the actual point here is the dealer ordering 2 day delivery to make a bit extra profit. techie, who was pretty good said the warning lights might be related to the battery being shot, so will wait for that before the next bit of the saga,

Will follow up, more soon.

Edited by OldRoverboy on 05/01/2012 at 16:46

Chevrolet Epica - Dud Battery - Avant

They ought to check the alternator too, in case it isn't charging the battery properly.

Just back from the chevrolet dealers, (FRFSwansea) upgraded battery fitted, alternator checked, and dealt with very quickly too, and thanks to the girls on service reception, and to the manager steve secombe, with whom i had a very instructive talk. Thanks also to danielle at chevrolet customer services who proved that they can be helpful. Was also quoted for the next service and agreed on this. was also quoted £650 for 2 year extended chevrolet warranty, The way I was dealt with was good, and am pleased to say so.

Chevrolet Epica - Dud Battery - jamie745

If that thank you speech was any longer we'd have had that Award Show music that they use to hustle long winded actors off the stage...

Edited by jamie745 on 06/01/2012 at 20:20

Chevrolet Epica - Dud Battery - Victorbox

jamie745 what is the point of your post?

Is it too early in the evening for a drunken rant? Why not just say something utterly stupid for a change? I like your comments better when they say something sensible, But the forum wouldn't be the same without you.
God bless Jamie, and don't forget to take your pills.

God you lot are a gormless bunch.

Chevrolet Epica - Dud Battery - justadriver
As in lead by example jamie745...
Chevrolet Epica - Dud Battery - Avant

Jamie, you've been so much more constructive recently: please don't regress.

A lot of threads on here are complaints about cars or dealer service, and that's fair enough: trhe information is usually helpful to the rest of us. But it's good when someone with a positive attitude like ORB takes the time to report good service. Why belittle that?

Im not belittling anything, you lot take everything far too seriously. On any other forum that comment would've been met with a smiley or two, if that yet on here its analysed and pedantically criticised.

Lighten up for goodness sake. Pull yourselves together.

Jamie, Take a minute to read my comments in the context of the fact that I have not always been so kind to chevrolet, and if you have read my owners review about the state the car was delivered in you would see that i have had cause for concern. This was heightened by my experience when an oil change at a chevrolet dealers in st albans was messed up with the wrong lubricant being used, (and if not spotted by me could have affected my warranty) I was further irritated by multiple visits, 5 in all to get the problems with the car sorted under warranty, but they were sorted! As you are aware, SWMBO is a hospital doc and needs transport to get to work on her 12.5 hour on-call at night, there are no buses here after 7pm or so, and it was good of FRF and Chevrolet to make sure that the part was delivered fitted and the rest of the associated bits checked.
After working in parts in main dealers in switzerland for many years in the motor trade, I have often been perplexed by the attitude of some uk dealerships. So given that i know a bit about my subject, I feel that if I have been critical when things haven't been done to my satisfaction, then when they are I should also take the time to encourage those people who do make an effort.
The upshot for FRF is that we have negotiated a satisfactory rate for me for my next service, I have had an instructive little talk with the service manager, and I was able to thank him for his peoples help!
So jamie, lighten up, if you want to comment, comment, but comment fairly,
Happy motoring to all
ORB
dealer visits for warranty and other inc Dud Battery - oldroverboy
Since I have had the car, actual number of visits has been as follows:
aug 2010 collected car
sept 3 visits to replace non working drivers door mirror and mirror switch.
oct 2 visits to replace oil pipe and repair air-con
oct 1 visit to replace oil (wrong grade put in at intermediate oil change done at my request while in for warranty work)
dec 1 visit replace fuse, immobiliser warning light on
march 2011 annual service
july 2011 intermediate oil change after "change oil now light on"
oct 2011 next annual service after 10,000 miles so next service due to stay in warranty terms.
dec 2011 4 new tyres (not strictly necessary but nice to have new rubber before winter and lots of tread...)
jan 2012 2 visits to get battery sorted, alternator checked and warning lights disappeared with new battery.

although it has had some problems, till the battery went, the other problems were present at purchase, and because of holidays at that time was necessary to split the work for the mirror/oil leak/aircon.

And actually, because it is so good on the motorways and so comfortable, I'm happy with the servicing costs, reasonable, and given that the warranty problems HAVE been sorted each time, I am still happy overall!