Age of Rover K-series engine - Chris_Bell
Hi,
I am building a GTM K3 kitcar based on a 1992 GTI metro. I need to get it through the SVA test (a kind of super MOT). As part of this, there is an emission test. The standard of this varies depending on the age of the engine. Allegedly with my age of car, Austin-Rover were using stuck on engine numbers. (I have found a stuck on gearbox number which bears this out). Mine has come unstuck. This means that the SVA testers are unable to identify the engine as the one in the V5 documentation, which means that I have to take a catalyst based test.

Does anybody know if there are any ways of identifying the age of the engine apart from the stuck on number. Mine has an alloy injection unit plus a steel sump. If it is possible to identify the age of the engine via its spec, does anybody have a suggestion someone who could write an authoritative letter or of any sources of authoritative information. (Basically anythng that would convince a VIA inspector)

Thanks,

Chris Bell

Age of Rover K-series engine - Hugo {P}
Chris

I can't help you with your question, other than suggest you speak to Rover themselves. They may be able to 'date' your engine by certain features.

For example, my Renault 11 timing chain tensioner was different on my car as it was for newer models.

Mor importantly, you will need to date your engine not only for the SVA test but also should you need any spare bits.

Good luck

Hugo

Age of Rover K-series engine - Cyd
Why not ask an MGR dealer or MGR themselves if they can tell you when they started using stamped on numbers - this will give you a minimum age.

Why not try looking for date markings in the castings and various plastic mouldings in the engine? The alloy inlet manifold should have a date marking, but it may be on the underside. Lift the cam covers and see if there are date markings in the alloy head. The markings on the cambelt covers will also be on the inside.
Age of Rover K-series engine - David Davies
Chris
Just one possible way would be to take the numbers stamped on the distributor body (there might even be a date) and work back from them.Another possibility is the I.D. sticker on the MEMS ECU.They may convince the SVA people.Is there any way of tracing the donor vehicle for your GTM?That would be a sure fix for your problem.
David Davies (Tune-Up Raglan)
Age of Rover K-series engine - Cyd
Wasn't the Metro GTi at this age still a 16V single point (throttle body) injection engine? Later on they were 16V multi point injection - get a dealer to check the service fiches for the change point. Calling Dave Lacey!

Was MEMS in use this early? Wasn't it Lucas injection back then?

Actually, I have a colleague who worked on MEMS - I cannot contact him till the new year so email me in Jan to remind me to contact him to see if he can help.
Age of Rover K-series engine - David Lacey
There's loads of ways to date your engine, fear not.

Got any digital piccies of it? I need to see the front edge of the cylinder block plus the inlet manifold if poss.

I *might* be able to date it via the engine number aswell, no promises tho']

MG-Rover Problems? forums.mg-rover.org