Fiat Punto 1.2 - How Important is it to fit the right head gasket ? - punto54
I would really appreciate any advice, had a head gasket done and car still playing up, over heated 5 weeks after having it done with car making horrendous knocking sounds and smoke coming from drivers side front binnet, took it back, mechanic said the fan had gone, replaced that, didnt resolve it, then said it was water pump, didnt resolve it, then said radiator had blockage, didnt resolve it, had diagnostics run and the temp sensor is faulty. Whilst looking through reciept, I decided to check the head gasket part number and it seems that the head gasket purchased was for upto a 2003 punto. Mines a 54 plate, and the difference in shape is obviously noticeable, also it is a different material, the supplier has specified it is important to select right head gasket, but mechanics saying its not important as long as the holes are in the same place, I am really concerned about this and would like somebody to advise me about the importance of the right head gasket part. Thank you in advance.
Fiat Punto 1.2 - How Important is it to fit the right head gasket ? - craig-pd130

On this engine I think it's critical, the 1.1 / 1.2 FIRE has a reputation for lunching the head gasket. I suspect the mating faces of the cylinder head and block may need attention too.

Fiat Punto 1.2 - How Important is it to fit the right head gasket ? - injection doc

the correct headgasket is critical. I had to remove a head of a punto and the oil gallery hole hadnt lined up starving the cam of oil. Quite incrediably the cam never seiezd up !

The garage that originally fitted the wrong head gasket said it was the exhaust that was making the car sound nosiey ! whereas it was the lack of oil.

Most importantlly the heads need skimming when they overheat, has it been machined. there is an oversized headgasket available if too much has to be taken off the head.

Fiat Punto 1.2 - How Important is it to fit the right head gasket ? - RT

It's critical on any engine - if the differences didn't matter, the aftermarket suppliers would just use one part number and list it as suitable for two, or more, models.

Fiat Punto 1.2 - How Important is it to fit the right head gasket ? - thunderbird

It's critical on any engine - if the differences didn't matter, the aftermarket suppliers would just use one part number and list it as suitable for two, or more, models.

Could not have put it better myself.

Will add that different gaskets can be a different thickness as well, if the replacement s too thin it will increase compression ratio and risk valves hitting pistons, both will damage your engine. If the new one is thicker you will get very poor performance.

Your mechanic is having a laugh nad its costing you a small fortune no doubt.

Fiat Punto 1.2 - How Important is it to fit the right head gasket ? - punto54

Thanks you lot, I eventually got a different mechanic to look at the car after the one who fitted wrong head gasket didnt know what parts he was buying, I started to notice discrepancies and then lies, the verdict HE HAD FITTED THE TIMING BELT WRONG.....AND OBVIOUSLY HEAD GASKET NEEDED DOING, AND ............I NEED A NEW ENGINE ! I wouldnt mind but I actually told the mechanic when he first took it back that I thought he had done timing wrong and he was ADAMANT it was right......so I have told him I wil be sending him the repair bill. What started off as head gasket, timing belt and thermostat.......then fan, waterpump and rad flush, temp coolant sensor and map sensor ..........now ENGINE REPLACEMENT.

Fiat Punto 1.2 - How Important is it to fit the right head gasket ? - unthrottled

Sorry to hear of your woes-pretty incompetent mechanic.

I'm still not convinced of the value of skimming the head as a matter of course. I've done three head gaskets (different cars), never skimmed and they stayed sealed.

Sending the head off is a hassle and expensive most people can well do without. Just check the face with a straight edge and feeler gauge. No warp (or negligible warp),=no skim.

TTY bolts on the other hand are strictly single use!