No specific car make - Alca windscreen wiper blades? - Waino

As the wiper blades on my Astra H estate are getting noisier, I made some enquiries regarding replacements. They seemed to vary from around £30 a pair to the £41 asked by my local vauxhall main dealer - a bit steep, I thought, for a couple of glorified strips of rubber.

I came across 'ALCA super-flat wiper blades' on e-bay for £16.99 a pair, and wonder if anyone has any experience of them - I'd never heard of them before. Do they do the job, are they easy to fit etc? Any comments will be gratefully received.

Cheers Waino

Top Reply

No specific car make - Alca windscreen wiper blades? - Collos25

Alca is a top German company and make many types of car products their wiper blades are second to none.

All Replies

No specific car make - Alca windscreen wiper blades? - thunderbird

As the wiper blades on my Astra H estate are getting noisier, I made some enquiries regarding replacements. They seemed to vary from around £30 a pair to the £41 asked by my local vauxhall main dealer - a bit steep, I thought, for a couple of glorified strips of rubber.

I came across 'ALCA super-flat wiper blades' on e-bay for £16.99 a pair, and wonder if anyone has any experience of them - I'd never heard of them before. Do they do the job, are they easy to fit etc? Any comments will be gratefully received.

Cheers Waino

Parts like like this are usually cheap and on e-bay for a very good reason, leave them where they are. Visibilty is very important especially this time of year and even £41 is not that much for something that lasted 5 years on my last car, spend that much every time I visit the pumps.

No specific car make - Alca windscreen wiper blades? - Collos25

Alca is a top German company and make many types of car products their wiper blades are second to none.

No specific car make - Alca windscreen wiper blades? - Bobbin Threadbare

I buy Bosch ones - they're pretty good and I think I paid about £28 for 2 front ones.

Many thanks for the comments - though it doesn't look as though anyone has actually (knowingly) tried the brand of wiper-blades in question. My plan is to get some and try them - then I'll post the results on here.

No specific car make - Alca windscreen wiper blades? - John Boy

... My plan is to get some and try them - then I'll post the results on here.

That will be great. I, for one, will be very interested to read them. Whenever possible, I’ve bought cheap ones from places like LIDL and ALDI. I’ve never had any which disintegrated, wore out rapidly or simply didn’t clear water. To me it seems an obvious way to save money.

No specific car make - Alca windscreen wiper blades? - Hamsafar

I have bought 180° branded blades from ebay for years from this seller, and have always found them to be as good as BOSCH Aerotwin at 1/4 of the price. In fact I suspect they are made in the same Chinese factory, as they are identical except for the BOSCH legend and 4x inflated price tag..

highbank-car

Sadly, they don't sell them for my current car and I bought two sets frome bay, the first were fabulous at £8 delivered OE quality but were 22" instead of 23"+24". the next were £22 and utter rubbish in every way so I returned them. In the end I got genuine ones which thankfully were on speacial offer at about £22 a pair.

Edited by Hamsafar on 03/01/2012 at 15:29

No specific car make - Alca windscreen wiper blades? - primeradriver

My experience with wiper blades is thus: refills don't work because the backing strip is far too weak as a result of them having to be cuttable; the ones in the pound shop are diabolical and were removed within minutes of installation; just about everything else works to the same standard initially but the Bosch ones tend to last longer.

There may well be poor ones out there on ebay but I've not found any.

Always a great believer in personal recommendations based on experience, I've followed Hamsafar's advice (thanks) and ordered a pair of blades from highbank-car; they're £9.99 a pair inc. delivery. This is a quarter the price of genuine Vauxhall parts, so I'll be interested to see how they perform.

The (£9.99) blades arrived yesterday and, bar a couple of 'production' stamps, they look identical to the ones I'm replacing. I suspect that the ones that I've taken off are the originals and the car is 5 years old so, if these last for 2 years, then they'll have paid their way. I tested them using the windscreen washer, and they appeared fine - we'll see what happens in a rainstorm!

I hadn't changed the 'side-pin' type of blades previously - but they're an absolute doddle!

No specific car make - Alca windscreen wiper blades? - ZXzoomer

I bought some from here www.carcare4me.co.uk and got to say there just as good as the Bosch ones that I usually buy at a cheaper price, bargain!