Toyota Yaris - Puncture / spare wheel advice - Teapot42

Set off this morning on the drive from Stockport to Shrewsbury. As soon as I started moving there was a thunk-thunk sound. Pulled in and found a big screw embedded at right-angles to the tyre... I have my suspicions it was put there as I've never seen something that big go in at that angle before but that's not really the point here!

Does anyone know of any tyre repair or replacement places in Stockport or south Manchester that will be open on Boxing Day? Everywhere seems to be closed until Tuesday. (I think the big boys are missing a trick here, open just a few branches on Boxing Day and you'd rake it in from people like me who have problems!)

The spare on the Yaris is a skinny - would it be viable to drive to Shrewsbury (about 65 miles each way) and back on it? Would even driving one way be possible? The backup plan is to go tomorrow, stay overnight and get the tyre fixed on Tuesday but that means missing Christmas with the family.

Also, any advice on where to fit the skinny? It is a front tyre that has gone but I've read somewhere that due to the difference in diameter you are putting a lot of load on the diff if you fit it on the front. Would I be better taking a back wheel off and putting that on the front and having the skinny on the rear?

Lastly, I have removed the screw and the tyre hasn't actually gone down... However, it was probably 1/4" in past the bottom of the tread. Is this too deep to risk using the tyre still?

Oh, actually, one other thing. On the advice of my mechanic I had 195/60 tyres fitted in place of the standard 175/65s. Is somewhere like Kwikfit going to find this a problem as they aren't standard or will they just change the tyre without question? Also, I'm finding that while I like the road holding of the larger tyres they are eating in to the fuel efficiency. Is there any legal reason why I couldn't replace both front tyres with say 185s (or even 175s) and replace the back tyres at a later date, or do all four tyres have to be the same width? I don't really want to have to shell out for four tyres in one go unless I have to but was thinking of going back more towards standard sizes.

Toyota Yaris - Puncture / spare wheel advice - unthrottled

I think the big boys are missing a trick here, open just a few branches on Boxing Day and you'd rake it in from people like me who have problems!)

Would you volunteer for the boxing Day shift?!

It is a front tyre that has gone but I've read somewhere that due to the difference in diameter you are putting a lot of load on the diff if you fit it on the front.

Think about what a differential does. The clue is in the name. (It'll be fine btw). I wouldn't fit it to the back axle; it's too easy to induce fishtailing.

130 miles is a long way to travel on a space saver. Space savers wear quickly and lose grip. But you'll be ok.

tbh, if the original tyre hasn't gone down, I would just drive on it and hope for the best!

BTW-why did the mechanic advise you to fit a 195mm tyre to the rim instead of the 175mm tyre?

Edited by unthrottled on 25/12/2011 at 13:39

A boxing day shift need only be 4-5 hours and if you get paid double....

Thanks for the advice re the diff - I know that is the point of it but wasn't sure if the fact it would be working harder due to the difference in circumference would be a major worry. I guess that as a lot of the journey is on the A49 which doesn't have many straight sections, the wheels would be turning at different speeds anyway!

The route is part of the reason I'm unsure about driving on the original tyre - there aren't many places to pull over to change it on some parts of the A49!

The reason for the change was that I was complaining that there seemed a lack of front traction, partly as I'd got stuck in the snow last year but also I found that there were a few junctions where in the wet it was difficult to avoid wheelslip when 'making progress'. (Not booting it, just trying to get on with it) I've since realised that fitting bigger tyres is not a good idea for snow but it has made a slightly improvement overall. However, I think (and what I'd really meant originally) was that better quality tyres would be a better choice than wider tyres.

A quick google suggests different width tyres are OK as long as not on the same axle but I'd always appreciate confirmation!

Toyota Yaris - Puncture / spare wheel advice - unthrottled

Wider tyres will give better grip in the dry, but worse grip on rain soaked roads-which is when you most need it!

You're right, there's nothing 'wrong' with putting a wider tyre on the rim (within reason).

To be honest, I think the problem is lack of weight over the front wheels rather than the tyres. I have noticed better grip both wet and dry but of course it could just be better tyres...

Would it be sensible to just go back to 175s on both front wheels and replace the 195s on the back at a later date?

Toyota Yaris - Puncture / spare wheel advice - thunderbird

The 175 will give better grip in wet conditions and in snowy conditions much better grip. The weight of the var will make the narrower tyre bite through the water and snow through to the tarmac where the grip is, the wider tyre will potentially ride on top of the water and snow and have little or no grip. In the dry the wider tyre will certainly give more grip but manuufacturers choose the tyre size following much research and other than appearance bigger options rarely do anything better, ask a BMW owner.

It is unwise to fit differnet size tyre on the front and rear unless it is a manufacturers option, if you do not tell your insurance company you will probably find yourself without cover after an accident if the size is not standard or a manufacturers option.

Personally I would fit a set of mid range 175's all round and sell the surplus 195's on e-bay.