Hyundai i30 - All Season Tyres vs Winter Tyres - Dingle232

Am considering whether to buy a set of winter tyres for the car but, as my Summer tyres will also need replacing at the end of winter, that's quite an outlay.

Are 'All Season Tyres' a good option and if so has anyone any recommendations?

Cheers.

Hyundai i30 - All Season Tyres vs Winter Tyres - thunderbird

We have Kleber Quadraxer on our Ceed and 1 series and these are an all season tyre. They do have the 3 peak mountain and snow flake symbol on them which means they have been tested and approved for use where winter tyres are mandatory. They grip well in ordinary (wet/dry) winter conditions, cannot tell any difference between these and summer tyres but when it gets slippery they are a vast improvement. They are no noisier than summer tyres plus I have noticed no difference in fuel consumption.

Bought ours from Event Tyres http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/ they fitted them at home and the fitter was the most careful I have ever seen, not a mark on the alloys. When I bought the last 4 in August they were fitted for £290 all in, just checked and for 205/55 16 V they are £360 now, quite an increase.

Hyundai i30 - All Season Tyres vs Winter Tyres - Talking Hoarse

I think we would all appreciate some feedback about all season tyres - like the Kleber Quadraxers. I gather that they are inferior to cold weather /winter tyres in extreme cold /snow etc - but to most of us (eg those of us not living in hilly /bleak places affected badly by ice & snow) then these may be good enough. And with a car like the i30 then the extra wheel rims will be a very significant cost for separate winter tyres.

Me - I do have a 2nd set of winter wheels (15") for my i30 and am utterly astonished at how good the Michelin Alpin A4's were last winter - the car went everywhere and was never pushed or dug. The car was also much more secure on cold /damp /greasy surfaces. They are back on again now, but the weather hasnt happened for us yet to test them again. On dry roads they are significantly noisier than even the OE 16" Hankook's.

TH - I got my new i30 today and the wheels are bigger than my previous one as they are 205/55 R16. Ideally I would love a set of steel wheels so I can swap them over myself and just store them during the non winter months.

Any tips on where I may get some? They are about 65 pounds each from a dealer.

Kleber Quadraxers are made by Michelin and if you look a the patterns they are very similar to the Michelin Winter Tyre.

Although they are "all season tyres" we still have them on another set of rims. Bought ours off e-bay, the Ceed ones were £80 for 4 brand new alloys, I was the only bidder, 2 series ones were £120. Over a 5 year period the total cost is less than having new summer tyres every 2 or 3 years plus when you sell the car if the wheels won't fit the new one sell them and get some money back.

Hyundai i30 - All Season Tyres vs Winter Tyres - Talking Hoarse

Any tips on where I may get some? They are about 65 pounds each from a dealer.

Look at sites like Ebay or Gumtree for 2ndhand. I reckon that other cars rims will fit - like Kia Cee'd and maybe more. Alternatively Mytyres.co.uk will supply steel or alloy rims with winter tyres fitted. Or of course buy some aftermarket alloy wheels from likes of Halfords. Beware that wheel nuts may not be compatable if not using OE rims, and wheel nuts can be costly as well as a nuisance to have 2 sets.

TH thanks that's great. The issue I have is that MyTyres gives you a range of options for sizes and I have no idea which is right for my car. I have no idea whether the car is 'FD' or FDH or what the kw number is.

The sizes do actually look the same regardless of the variants but it does look like a good option!

Hyundai i30 - All Season Tyres vs Winter Tyres - RT

If you multiply your engine power output (in PS or bhp) by 0.74, that'll give the kw output.

Hyundai i30 - All Season Tyres vs Winter Tyres - miroku1949

I have a Yaris which I have run for 12 months on these www.tyretest.com/allseason_tyres/kumho/solus_kh21/...l

They are actually quieter than the orignal Continental summer tyres that were fitted. Handling is good in all weathers, mpg is the same.

I like them for peace of mind also that if it snows you have a much better chance of being in control of the car.

Hyundai i30 - All Season Tyres vs Winter Tyres - gordonbennet

I have a Yaris which I have run for 12 months on these www.tyretest.com/allseason_tyres/kumho/solus_kh21/...l

Good was hoping someone had tried these, i had considered them earlier in the year for my daughters car, but finding meaningful reviews proved impossible so bought a trusted by previous use allseason instead.

Have you used them in ice and snow yet, do they feel well footed in the wet and was there a period of scrubbing/bedding in before they gave their best please?
Hyundai i30 - All Season Tyres vs Winter Tyres - miroku1949

We have only had a little bit of snow where I live but they were ok, the braking grip was excellent, cornering was ok, no slides.

Wet grip is very good in heavy rain and in ordinary conditions also. I have not had to go round any corners in the wet or dry any slower since having them fitted but I was amazed at the difference in road noise compared to the Continental tires that were fitted.

I tend to run tyres in for about 100 miles, which I did with the Kuhmo's, but at no time was there a feeling of less grip while they were new.

When they wear out I intend to have them fitted again.

When they wear out I intend to have them fitted again.

Thanks for that Miroku, if it had been for my own car i might well have bought them at the time, may well give them a try as when i need another set.

One point to consider when buying a second set of wheels, try and get a set that were an option for the car. Insurance companies now appear to be happy with people fitting winter tyres but wheels other than OE will be considered an option and insurance company need to be notified, there may also be a charge. When I bought mine I found a set of steel ones for peanuts that came off the base model. Insurance company wanted another £60, reason was steel whels are not fitted with locking nuts like alloys, when i said I would certainly be fitting locking nuts it made no difference. Alloys cost me £20 more than steels with no extra insurance.

Hyundai i30 - All Season Tyres vs Winter Tyres - Ed V

I'm out on a limb here, as I have never found any problem with summer slicks. Mind you, I'm a Londoner, and don't do early runs to work either. My guess is that only with snow and ice on a regular basis does anyone - except tyre manufactuers - need winter tyres.

Certainly, travelling anywhere at the type of speeds I drive is never going to test anything. I've not driven in under 3C yet this year, and was quite happy in minus temps last year around town and suburban - which is after all about 80% of us.

I'm out on a limb here, as I have never found any problem with summer slicks. Mind you, I'm a Londoner, and don't do early runs to work either. My guess is that only with snow and ice on a regular basis does anyone - except tyre manufactuers - need winter tyres.

Certainly, travelling anywhere at the type of speeds I drive is never going to test anything. I've not driven in under 3C yet this year, and was quite happy in minus temps last year around town and suburban - which is after all about 80% of us.

Driving around at 3 degrees in London will not be a problem for summer tyres but when during an average winter (not the last 3 severe ones) you get several falls of snow and you have to drive up to 20 miles each way on poorly treated roads they make one hell of a difference. Just have a read at either Honest Johns or the Auto Express winter tyre test to see what a huge difference they make to braking safety alone.

Last winter 17" of snow fell on our garden over a 3 day period, actually there was more than 17" but once it was 17" deep the next dump just compressed it to 17". 225 summer slicks would been an absolute disaster, man up street with new Passat CC thought he could defy the laws of the universe and drive the brand new car like it was dry, traction contol, ESP, ABS etc will sort out any problem he thought, well the kerb on the first corner stopped him. Whatever speed you drive and however careful you are conditions can catch you out.

As I have said before they do not cost me anything. Keep cars 5 years and normally need a one set of new tyres during that time, rotate them front to back to even wear. Summer tyres are about £125 each for one acra and £165 for the other. The Kleber tyres we have cost me £290 a set, wheels off e-bay £80 and £120 a set, both of those are way less than a set of summer tyres.

Providing we don't have a puncture that damages a tyre beyond repair we will not have to buy any more tyres for either car while we own them, if the wheels don't fit the next car stick them back on e-bay, won't loose any money.

Hyundai i30 - All Season Tyres vs Winter Tyres - ChannelZ

The OH has a i30 - a 1.4 Comfort. It's the last of the ones running the 15" alloys and 185-65/15 tyres.

The factory Hankook Optimo K415 are rubbish. Fronts are nearly down to 3mm after less than 10k. Noisy as hell too. The sooner the other 2 wear out the better. I'm happy with the Hankook Ventus Primes I have on my Mondeo, but these Optimos on the i30 are junk.

Probably going to replace with Bridgestone's Weathercontrol A001 which is a UK/Ireland specific all-season tyre.

Hyundai i30 - All Season Tyres vs Winter Tyres - galileo

The OH has a i30 - a 1.4 Comfort. It's the last of the ones running the 15" alloys and 185-65/15 tyres.

The factory Hankook Optimo K415 are rubbish. Fronts are nearly down to 3mm after less than 10k.

Channel, I respectfully suggest your driving style may have something to do with your tyre wear - on my 1.4 i30 Comfort I just changed the front Hankook Optimos at 21000 miles with 3.5 mm tread left.

(And no, I don't drive slowly).

The OH has a i30.

Fronts are nearly down to 3mm after less than 10k.

Channel, I respectfully suggest your driving style may have something to do with your tyre wear - on my 1.4 i30 Comfort I just changed the front Hankook Optimos at 21000 miles with 3.5 mm tread left.

(And no, I don't drive slowly).

It's the OH's car (Other Half) - she doesn't drive fast. In fact it's usually 10mph below the speed limit, old granny style.

Why did you change them with 3.5mm tread?

3mm is the recommended minimum depth for reasonable wet grip - so if safety figures anywhere on your priorities it's a good figure to use.

3mm is the recommended minimum depth for reasonable wet grip - so if safety figures anywhere on your priorities it's a good figure to use.

I'm wondering what you replaced them with, and what do you think of the new tyres? I've been bitten before when fitting new tyres to a car, and the tyre turning out to be unsuitable for that car's chassis.

Hyundai i30 - All Season Tyres vs Winter Tyres - Collos25

4mm is the guide for changing them in Germany new tyres are 8mm all tyre especially winter yres loose more than 50% of the effectiveness even though there is 50% of the tread left.

4mm is the guide for changing them in Germany new tyres are 8mm all tyre especially winter yres loose more than 50% of the effectiveness even though there is 50% of the tread left.

4mm is the legal minimum in Germany for winter use.

Hyundai i30 - All Season Tyres vs Winter Tyres - galileo

I'm wondering what you replaced them with, and what do you think of the new tyres? I've been bitten before when fitting new tyres to a car, and the tyre turning out to be unsuitable for that car's chassis.

Up here on the edge of the Pennines we had plenty of snow last winter, the Hankook Optimos worked well on snowy gradients, so with winter approaching I replaced the fronts with the same tyres. The rears still had almost 6mm on so now I have the same tyres all round with plenty tread. As these were the factory fit and have performed OK why change?

I replaced the fronts with the same tyres.

Thats torn it, i can hear the doom brigade foaming at the mouth, i'd have done same as you, but oh boy are you in for it..:-)

As these were the factory fit and have performed OK why change?

I think they're very noisy, so that's my reason for wanting something different. Agreed that they perform decently, as I've found with most Hankook tyres.

Maybe the tyres aren't THAT noisy, and the i30 just has rubbish sound insulation compared the the 12 year old design of my Mondeo...