any - Mobiles cause jams - motorprop

We've all seen this , and I see a lot as a cyclist albeit with 25 yrs driving in London ;

Traffic stops for lights , people start looking at their phones , replying to texts / e mails, traffic moves, but as they're not looking ahead , only 3 cars make the lights and not 6 . Selfish people , and who says technology takes us forward ?

Unrelated, you'll be surprised at how many screws / nails / bottles lie in the gutter ( I pick up some daily, as my good deed ) - so do understand why we cyclists need to ride nearer the middle.

any - Mobiles cause jams - jamie745

I think bicycles should have big magnets on the front for that purpose. I would suggest huge magnets on cars but that could cause problems, specifically for the aforementioned cyclists.

any - Mobiles cause jams - unthrottled

No, I don't get punctures. Slick tyres, 60ish psi. No problems. Ride just to the right of drain covers-no further is necessary-why impede traffic to make a point?

Thats all very nice unthrottled but its not a giant magnet is it?

Think about it!

a metre away from parked cars - when somebody opens their door on you , as has happened to me a few times , and don't start, reflective clothes , good lights, helmets and paying attention, plus the best tyres

Reflective clothes? i'm not a navvy on a building site.

Helmet? I'm not a deep-seam coal miner.

Yes, I cycle in urban areas-use the right hand lane on roundabouts etc. It's not that hard. Grow a pair.

If safety is your number one priority, there's lots of solid metal cages with 4 wheels...

If safety is your number one priority, there's lots of solid metal cages with 4 wheels...

Fair point, it is odd when motorcyclists choose to sit unrestrained on an engine with two wheels attached to it, fully exposed to all elements and then shift the blame to everybody else when they end up under a lorry or in a hedge upside down on fire. Cycling and motorcycling is naturally a more risky/dangerous activity than using a car or going on a bus or something, just because you were stupid enough to get on the lethal contraption in the first place dont blame everybody else when you come unstuck. Nobody made you get on it.

Indeed!

I quite like cycling, but the Notting Hill Martyrs make me reach for the car keys. They whine about other road users taking unnecessary risks then ride a fixie through Piccadilly Circus!

There really is a sense of 'ive decided to use an unsafe mode of transport so the entire world has to pander to me' about it. Ive got no problem with road users of the two wheeled variety i just want it made clear they decided to get on the deathtrap. With 32 million vehicles on Britain's roads, even with all the campaigns and best will in the world it is impossible for all of them to be faultless (such as in the case mentioned earlier of car users opening doors, most will see the cyclist but it only takes one who doesnt look to cause a problem) and i think we all accept that. The difference of course is when you're on a bicycle or motorbike, that one error from somebody else is likely to have a bigger impact on you than if you were in a car and thats just the basic brutal fact which you have to accept if you choose to use such a mode of transport.

Im a pragmatic person - pragmatism being cover for the fact i'd fall off a bike in hilarious fashion very quickly - and i use vehicles of a four wheeled variety because if someone crashes into me in town in my car im likely to be fine, if someone crashes into a cyclist the odds are rather less favourable. Like everything else, it all comes down to maths.

any - Mobiles cause jams - nortones2

It's not the maths, it's the assumptions. For example, that KSI per distance travelled is a valid indicator of risk.

Mobiles cause jams - sirionman

How did an observation from a cyclist that cell phones slow traffic down, end up as a hate cyclists rant? Rhetorical question really and I am about to tell you the answer.

The bottom line is car/van/truck/bus drivers hate cyclists almost universally because cyclists should not share roads with the above vehicles - it is that simple. To mix modes of transport with such varying degrees of ability defies logic. As an example it is unheard of in aviation to mix jet aircraft with hang gliders at the same airport - the reason is obvious.

However it is deemed acceptable for this gross mis-match to occur on the roads. Go figure. In addition the cyclist has recently taken the moral high ground for a variety of reasons (that's another story) and now sees it completely right and proper that all others should work around them, and in addition feel free not to have to buy into the road system in any way.

My reply to the predictable backlash from outraged cyclists is this. If you want to share the road get your bike/tricycle/rickshaw/segue/whatever registered and display a number plate. Have it annually inspected for roadworthiness. Pay towards the road upkeep (rego). Get insurance. Take a test and have a licence. Oh yeh I forgot one other, get off the moral high ground and act like a grown up and accept the responsibility that you are very vulnerable wobbling around in traffic, and at least wear a helmet and use all appropriate safety equipment.

If you want in on the roads lets do it properly.

I recently went to Oxford, which is famous for its park-and-ride service. The double decker was crammed with patient and polite car drivers that were held to ransom going in and out of town and every 50 yards some numpty with a baby in a cot or basonnette on wheels attached to a bike/rickshaw/trike/skateboard/whatever was holding the bus up by sticking their arm out without checking behind and just moving into traffic. Is it any wonder car/bus/van/truck drivers loathe cyclists.

And that is why drivers hate cyclists. If you are an outraged cyclist please feel free to climb onto that moral high ground and abuse me. Also when you are lying in hospital remember the car/truck/van/bus is mightier than the treddly. Be afraid.

Mobiles cause jams - motorprop

Wrong Sirion - note that as I've said, I've been driving for 25 years and I drive daily. I own 4 cars and classified myself till recently as a petrolhead. It's only when fuel will reach £2.00 a litre plus that many more people will give up their motors. When it takes 20 -25 mins to cover 4-5 miles on a pushbike and there are no parking issues at both ends, then it makes no sense to drive if you are able bodied. I only drive when ferrying my child and or wife / heavy shopping. And for £32 a year I have 3rd party insurance .. covering me on any pushbike.

The reason most car drivers dislike cyclists is that they feel frustrated at being stuck while a cyclist can continue moving while keeping fit for very little outlay.

On Sunday evening in the frost I did a 20 mile round trip, which took me down the A1 by a***nal's ground. Suddenly, cue a huge jam, cars reversing, horns , anger. I dismounted , walked the bike on the pavemet, all traffic was directed into a side street, and then I walked past the incident : a moderate shunt , fire brigade as usual got their tools out and sliced a car in half. It didn't look necessary to stop all traffic passing but am no expert. The whole artery was shut to traffic - am sure all car drivers were seething. So yes, you don't see this while trapped in the steel box. You need to get out more.

Mobiles cause jams - motorprop

Why did the Big Brother moderator see the need to blank out the name of the football ground I gave as a geographical reference point ?- Who are they gunning for here ?

Mobiles cause jams - veryoldbear

Just going back to original point of this thread (just for a change).

I would venture to suggest that the present law on mobile phones is causing an unexpected consequence. How many times do you see people weaving around while they text, holding their phones down low so they can't be seen from outside the car? Probably far more dangerous than actually talking.on a phone while looking at the road ...

Mmmm

Mobiles cause jams - Pondlife
The same reason AOL blocked discussion of a town in Lincolnshire fifteen years ago: stupid filtering software.
Mobiles cause jams - Bobbin Threadbare

Original thread idea - yes, people on mobiles aren't paying attention. I've said this before; it makes me feel sick to see some dippy woman in a giant 4x4 with a horde of kids in it, yakking away on her mobile, half a hand on the wheel, blocking a junction. One slip and she clonks someone else, and she ought to think of the kids!!

Mobiles cause jams - Avant

"Why did the Big Brother moderator see the need to blank out the name of the football ground I gave as a geographical reference point ?- Who are they gunning for here ?"

Not the big brother moderator - I'm not that sort. It's the zealous swear-filter which works automatically and can't be avoided. Indeed when it censors the name of the football club managed by Mr Wenger, it makes matters worse (see above). Sorry!

Born-Again Cyclist - sirionman

Dear motorprop,

Congratulations on having insurance for your cycle. My point is, the requirements I outlined are to be manadatory for all, and not voluntary. For cyclists to have a stake in what happens on the road they should speak from a level playing field and not from the sidelines, or from the moral high ground as most do including yourself.

You should also not speak for other motorists as to why they are annoyed with cyclists, it is very presumptious and in my case incorrect.

As for the rest of your diatribe I have no idea what the points are that you are trying to make apart from proclaiming to be a born-again cyclist.

Have a nice day

Born-Again Cyclist - jamie745

What is annoying is if you dare to make quite a reasonable bicycle related point on HJ, such as pointing out its naturally more dangerous than driving a car (and i included motorcycling in the same point) it immediately gets labelled an 'anti cyclist rant.' Is even mentioning cyclists in any capacity now such a taboo subject that regardless of the point you're trying to make its dismissed as a rant? Im convinced the politically correct brigade dont read the post they just see the word bicycle, label it a rant, make a dismissive post and then move on.

Pathetic.

Edited by jamie745 on 20/12/2011 at 17:05

Born-Again Cyclist - Bobbin Threadbare

I cycle, until it gets chilly enough to get achy hands! I just assume that drivers cannot see me at all, and act accordingly. I've no problems with hopping off and pushing the bike to avoid a bunch of horrible traffic.

Mobiles cause jams - Roly93

The reason most car drivers dislike cyclists is that they feel frustrated at being stuck while a cyclist can continue moving while keeping fit for very little outlay.

Sorry have to respectfully disagree here. Most motorists dont like cyclists because a huge number of cyclists take risks and blatantly disobey the rules of the road with impunity. But come the day they come to greif it is always someone elses fault, and they get to do this all for free with no road TAX as a side issue.

I could give cyclists my blessing were this not the case.

Mobiles cause jams - Bromptonaut

Sorry have to respectfully disagree here. Most motorists dont like cyclists because a huge number of cyclists take risks and blatantly disobey the rules of the road with impunity. But come the day they come to greif it is always someone elses fault, and they get to do this all for free with no road TAX as a side issue.

There's no such thing as 'road tax'. Hypothecation of the tax disc revenues ceased before WW2. We all pay for the roads through general taxation.

Mobiles cause jams - bathtub tom

There's no such thing as 'road tax'. Hypothecation of the tax disc revenues ceased before WW2. We all pay for the roads through general taxation.

Cyclists pay exactly the same VED (vehicle excise duty - AKA road tax) as any other low emission vehicle. There's a Volvo, diesel estate that's zero rated.

Edited by bathtub tom on 22/12/2011 at 19:36

I'm sorry Sirion but I don't get your point. Motor vehicles are subject to registration, testing and driver licensing because they're potentially lethal. Nothing 'bad' about that but something with a mass over a tonne and capable of 70mph++ inevtably has that characteristic.

To test cyclists, impose registration and mandate insurance would require proof that there's a problem now. There isn't. In the last decade a handful of people have died as a result of being 'run down' by a cyclist. Cause of death almost always fractured skull becuase they fell on their head - just the same as if they'd been skittled over by a careless jogger.

How much loss is caused in a year by uninsured cyclists? Most have insurance anyway even if they don't know it - included in household insurance.

And as the tax disc is (a) not hypothecated to road spend and (b) emisions related it has no relevance to cycling.

The playing field is already level; regulation is proportionate to risk/damage.

Mobiles cause jams - nortones2

Drivers don't hate cyclists, Sirion, but I can see that you, as an individual, have an irrational dislike. Consider the most frequent cause of delays to drivers. Other drivers, in line, due to congestion. Do you get out of your car and berate other drivers in the line for holding you up? And what pray is this about? " Also when you are lying in hospital remember the car/truck/van/bus is mightier than the treddly. Be afraid." A coded threat? Armchair warrior.

any - Mobiles cause jams - Bromptonaut

Edit - duplicate post

Edited by Bromptonaut on 21/12/2011 at 13:26

No, I don't get punctures. Slick tyres, 60ish psi. No problems. Ride just to the right of drain covers-no further is necessary-why impede traffic to make a point?

Just right of the drain covers is a bit close to the kerb. 'Keeping out of the way of the cars' is all well and good but a fair number take it as licence to ignore you and pass close/fast. If anything goes wring & you're only a gulley's width out there's little scope to move further left, particularly if thre are railings on the pavement.

Better to take a good Primary (see Cyclecraft) and make sure you're seen and heeded.

Not about making a point; its demonstrably safer.

If anything goes wring & you're only a gulley's width out there's little scope to move further left,

It's six of one and half a dozen of another.

If you're well away from the kerb and a car overtakes you-it will pass more closely than if you were nearer the kerb.

Also, if a car is car is 'stuck' behind you for a period of time, then the drive is more likely to make an unwise overtaking manoeuvre since you'll be providing him with fewer opportunities.

If you're well away from the kerb and a car overtakes you-it will pass more closely than if you were nearer the kerb.

Also, if a car is car is 'stuck' behind you for a period of time, then the drive is more likely to make an unwise overtaking manoeuvre since you'll be providing him with fewer opportunities.

You may need to be far enough out to preclude overtakes altogether. Do that every day just past Euston at the north end of Gordon St. Keeping left invites a close pass in a pinch point or even worse a 'left hook' by vehicles turning into Endsleigh Gardens.

Same for a short length of Remnant St where there's just no space but taxis bound for the Inns try and squeeze through.

Frustration and provocation of unwise overtakes acheived by keeping speed up and pulling in at first safe opportunity.

This is though Central London and traffic/cycle speed differential is small.

I have long thought that a pushbike in London traffic is an excellent platform from which to issue FPNs for mobile use. CPSO equipped with a helmet camera should get 20-30 a day.

It's only when fuel will reach £2.00 a litre plus that many more people will give up their motors.

Why can't you just you ride your bike and enjoy it? I don't understand (nor do I wish to) the evangelicalism that goes with cycling zealots.

Saving money? I used to commute 10 miles each way to work. I arrived at work sweaty, change into my work clothes. At the end of the day, I had to get back into the sweaty cycling clothes and face either a cold damp/hot dusty journey home depending on the time of year. To save half a gallon of fuel a day. Except that I didn't even save that, because I had to eat like a horse to keep my energy levels up. Then there was all the extra washing.

Eventually, I stopped pretending to enjoy it,and realised that sitting in a car with radio 4 and a packet of fags was a much more agreeable way to get to and fro work.

The fuel savings on any journey that's bikeable are tiny. I hate to say this, but the dent that cycling makes to your carbon footprint is trivial.

If fuel hits £2 a litre, people will switch to electric cars, which will put a huge strain on our power generating capabililty which is already pretty creaky. And the government will be left with a huge loss of revenue whiich will have to recouped someplace else. Probably via a tax whose collection is more costly and invasive.

More of a distopia than a utopia.

any - Mobiles cause jams - Bobbin Threadbare

The fuel savings on any journey that's bikeable are tiny. I hate to say this, but the dent that cycling makes to your carbon footprint is trivial.

True. Chances are your bike was made in the Far East anyway so it's travelled around the world same as some car parts have.

My husband does a cycle commute in the spring and summer; he's under no illusions that it helps the planet in any way, but it keeps him fit. It also means that the washing machine goes on for an extra load or so each week!

Am not cycling to save fuel per se- it is an added bonus , and not to save the planet either. I probably pick up 50-60 screws a year from the roadside , keep thinking its karmic, that one could be our puncture , AND find about £50 in loose change ( easily a quid a week ) on the road and the occasional tool. I found a Rothberger wrench that costs £35 in a plumber's shop and once found £60 in notes lying in the gutter in a well known high street -- none of these happen driving a car.

Last three weeks I've averaged 100 miles a week, over the year I now average 85 miles a week. With the median journey being of 2 miles, am wondering what the saving on fuel actually is - not ' tiny ' for sure - our family car being 2.5 litre 4 Cyl. petrol, with cold start up and the engine operating below optimum temperature - not to mention parking and maintenance issues . Say 4000 miles a year at 30p ( per mile ) is £1200 pa - enough for a good holiday . Sure, the bike costs £150 pa to maintain , but with the extra fitness and associated health benefits it's win win for me .

Say 4000 miles a year at 30p ( per mile )

A marginal cost of 30p/mile (virtually all fuel) works out at about 20mpg at current fuel prices (probably about right for a 2.5 litre engine in heavy traffic. A lot of the costs of motoring (insurance, tax, MOT, depreciation etc) are largely or totally standing charges and cycling won't reduce those.

To be fair, a 2.5 litre petrol is an unusual choice of urban transport nowadays. The average motorist's marginal cost would be lower. 4000 miles p.a. on a bike is a lot. This winter has been very mild; the summer very temperate. I lost interest when the hard frosts started biting

How long have you been commuting for?

Not really commuting between fixed points - just work matters that involve covering various locations

I know a guy who ' commutes ' between home and a fixed place of work, 20 miles each way daily = 200 miles a week

and 2.5 petrol - outside our child's nursery that's a very small engine - very small women all driving 5 litre V8's . I cycle the toddler in during warm months

I doubt many of the Chelsea tractors have 5.0l V8s in. The Notting Hill set might not be hurt by fuel prices-but they notice BIK. They'll all be 3.0l diesels-probably capable of better economy than the 2.5 petrol!

You still haven't answered the question: how long have you been biking instead of driving/. I managed 6 months before I got bored. Bikes do make sense in cities though.

question not relevant - as mentioned herein , I still drive . Only today had to use my US pickup ( 6.9 V8 diesel ) to collect a large ladder and deposit waste , but cycled the 3 miles to where its kept

The nursery set drive mostly Range Rovers , lots of Cayennes and a few Q7 Audis. One has a 6.3 V8 AMG C63 Mercedes and she lives a mile away. Have noticed that quite a few of these only get taxed for 6 months at a time - you work it out, £40 -50 k cars getting 6 months worth . They can be shocking drivers too

Isn't this the truck that is effectively banned from the LEZ in 8 days? As I remember, you were rather cross about that. This is a bit of a volte face!

The very truck ! And where exactly is the volte face here ?

However , all is not lost....

I remember defending your right to drive the behemoth truck in an environment to which it is totally unsuited, but please spare us the lectures on urban fuel economy, congestion, noise, and pollution!

Compared to an F350 anything is going to seem like a sensible choice...

No lectures here apart from yours

That vehicle works and earns its keep , it is only brought out to carry large or heavy items that cannot be carried in normal cars or even vans, and still does below 1000 miles per year . My friend was refurbishing a Georgian building in W1 , and had a replacement giant window frame made at a joiners' - no van could carry it there as it wouldn't fit , the only way possible was on the back of the F250 across the bed . It stuck out a foot or so either side ( same as mirror profiles ) and out the rear too . It does the same MPG as a London taxi

...then it makes no sense to drive if you are able bodied. I only drive when ferrying my child and or wife / heavy shopping.

OK-not a sermon, but a hint of moral self righteousness, no?

It does the same MPG as a London taxi

Come off it! The 6.9 IDI wasn't a bad motor in it's day, but there's no way it'll get the same economy as a turbocharged direct injection 4 pot. 'Specially in a 5000lb pick up.

no van could carry it there as it wouldn't fit

any - Mobiles cause jams - Smileyman

Agreed - it's about time the authorities took stern action about illegal mobile usage by drivers .... and make it very clear this activity will not be tolerated.

It needs to be elevated on par with drink driving - loss of licence etc - in my view it's a bigger danger than driving a few mph over the speed limit for which there tends to be no shortage of activity.