peugeot 306 tdi 1.9 - Car wont start - Jeffo77
I have a problem with my peugeot where it just wont start it fires fine but engine wont start at all been told fuel pump needs replacing also soliniod on the pump might have gone any one gt any other ideas i could try ??

its had new glow plugs
peugeot 306 tdi 1.9 - Car wont start - Peter.N.

Firstly we need to know what engine you have, they don't make a 1.9 tdi - well not in a Peugeot anyway. It will either be a 1.9 XUD or a 2.0 litre Hdi which would be from '99 onwards, they are very different engines and need different diagnosis.

2.0 HDI thanks s reg

Right, that helps, although 'S' sounds early for an Hdi. Does the engine actually fire when you try to start it and the stop, do you get any smoke from the exhaust while its turning over?

The solonoid mentioned is on the earlier cars with the 1.9 engine, the most likely problem with an Hdi is the fuel pump fitted in the fuel tank, you should be able to hear ir run for a couple of seconds when you turn the ignition on.

Yeh it fires when i start it yeh get smoke from exhaust as well you cant hear anything from the back had a so called mobile mechanic come this afternoon while i ws in work all he done ws phone people up he told me on the phone the solonoid is a sealed until and has to be grinded off.So he cant do it !!

That's quite correct if its a 1.9 engine, as far as I know the Hdi doesn't have one but if its smoking that indicates that fuel is getting in, failure of the solonoid will prevent this. Did this suddenly happen or have there been previous problems? This sounds to me like a 1.9 engine, does it have a fuel pump with a pipe going to each injector?. If that has happened suddenly I would suggest that the cam belt has slipped a tooth or two and put the timing out.

Yeh it has suddenly happened i will check the pump pipe wen i get home from work. How hard is it to sort the cam belt out is it DIY job or garage ?
So if it is the solinoid how do i go about replacing it ?

You can do the cam belt with the engine in situ but its a bit fiddly due to lack of space but I have done several and survived. Do you know when the belt was last changed because it shouldn't be loose enough to slip unless its well overdue and you could end up with a wrecked engine.

A Haynes manual will give you precise instructions.

Car running now thanks seems there was a fuel blockage no diesel coming through in to pump .A friend of mine started it Saturday for me been running fine since thanks