Decision time - i30 v Focus - Dingle232

Well, I have sold my existing i30 as I figured it was time for an upgrade so have been agonising for a couple of days over the next car - a choice which I am going to have to make very quickly as I will be without wheels from next weekend.

Basically I have decided between another, newer Hyundai i30 given that my last experience with them was really positive and the dealership is fantastic. I can get a 10/60 plate for under £10k and possibly even an 11 plate with the balance of a mega warranty for piece of mind.

Or I can get a 59 plate Focus with under 20k on the clock for just under £9k.

Both diesels by the way.

Focus is the better drive, i30 probably the less exciting (if either are!) but steady. Am just mindful that the i30 will be replaced in March 2012 so that will see its value plummet.

Any views as to which I should go for? I plan to keep the car between 2 and 3 years.

Decision time - i30 v Focus - MikeTorque

I've driven both and prefer the Focus mid-life facelift as of 2008. The Kia i30 1.6 CRDi engine goes well but has a boomy spot around 1500rmp whereas the Focus 1.6 TDCi 110ps is sweet throughout the rev range and is more fuel efficient than the i30 1.6 CRDi.

The Focus had additional noise insulation added for the facelift and it really does help provide a significant improvement to the internal environment although having a quiet & comfort bias tyre choice also helps.

The Focus also has a more comfortable ride quality with standard suspension compared with the i30. A Focus with sports suspension offers a firm ride and lets you know everything about the road which can become a pain to live with especially on rough roads and we have plenty of those around.

The Kia i30 will carry a longer warranty that the Focus which helps provide some piece of mind but the i30 will depreciate faster than the Focus.

However, Kia are noted for their friendly customer service, and I've experienced it for myself and it is very good indeed, so if you're happy with the service you have been getting and the i30 is ok then it's well worth considering going for another i30.

Best thing to do is have a long test drive in the Focus and compare it with the i30, then decide afterwards which you prefer.

Thanks for the response Mike. You have summed up my dilemma very well. The Focus I am looking at is actually a 1.8 TDCi as I have been pretty put off by the horror stories of problems with the 1.6 DPF stuff to be honest. However I am aware that the 1.8 TDCi engine is pretty old tehnology and not without its issues either.

I am certainly no expert but my simple thinking on the Focus is that, with around 17k on the clock and FSH it 'shouldn't' give too many issues but I'd be interested to understand the specifics of the problems experienced with this particular unit and how common they are?

How do you spot a bad one?

I would agree that the Focus is a much more rewarding drive.

Normally I wouldnt hesitate but, despite its lesser appeal and 'less good' drive, I had such a positive all round experience withthe Hyundai and it's backed up with a mega warranty. My past experience with Ford dealers hasn't been quite so enamouring so, despite the depreciation etc the Hyundai actually does present quite a compelling argument.

Decision time - i30 v Focus - colinh

Possibly purchasing an extra two years extended warranty on the Focus may solve your dilemma

Decision time - i30 v Focus - 2.0Tsi
MikeTorque, do you mean the Hyundai i30 and not Kia?

Anyway moving on;

I would question your comment ref depreciation, the focus actually depriaciates faster than the i30 in diesel spec.

Also, under no circumstances would I be potentially buying a used diesel that will go out of manufacturers warranty in the current climate of EGR/DPF/DMF failures. That one big bill could ruin your day and bank balance if outside warranty !

If you get on with your Hyundai dealer and have a good relationship that's a bonus, the Ford dealership will have forgotten you before you have driven off the forecourt.

My wife has a 59 reg i10, I have an 11 Reg Octavia Vrs I will never go back to Ford(owned focus&mondeo)or Vauxhall(vectra) again, they simply don't try hard enough in any way.
Decision time - i30 v Focus - thunderbird
If you get on with your Hyundai dealer and have a good relationship that's a bonus, the Ford dealership will have forgotten you before you have driven off the forecourt.

Had a Focus 1.6 TDCi for 5 years, other than a new alternator belt that was starting to crack did not spend a penny other than fuel, service and tyres, brilliant car. Got a Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDi nowand to be honest I think its a better car, we love it. Its bigger, quieter, better equipped and much quicker, would not want to go back.

As I said above we did not have a problem but at work we have several Fords on fleet and getting work carried out under warranty is a nightmare. The 3 year warranty is a joke if you have a problem, after the first year they call any problem you have as trim related and trim is not covered. As an example on car had its handbrake mechanism fail, the lever fell apart. The dealer said it was trim and not covered, Ford confirmed this, how is an handbrake trim for gods sake, it a vital part of the car and an MOT essential.

Stick with Hyundai or try Kia.

Decision time - i30 v Focus - Talking Hoarse

I have an i30 CRDi auto, and several years ago used to often get Focus's as hire cars.

I always found the Focus to be a drivers car, I loved their handling, composure etc and would buy one without hesitation. But the i30 (and maybe also Cee'd in my opinion) is almost as good as the Focus. In everyday use its not a lot different - just what you prefer. Overall I think the i30 is a very good car that could be better. It could be quieter, it could be more comfortable (although I have learned to like it - and we have recently travelled 500 miles with 5 adults in it quite comfortably), and it could offer more steering feel or feedback etc etc. I have posted my owners review elsewhere on HJ. Before I bought the i30 I also looked at the Cee'd. We actually preferred the Cee'd as it seemed better equipped and quieter, however for me at least, the deal was not there as it was £3000+ more expensive for the equivalent auto.

For me - the deciding factor was the auto & diesel combination of the i30 - such a good deal new if bought "new" at the right price via a broker. Bear in mind that you can have a new i30 1.4 for about £9000 at the moment, yes I know its not a diesel, but it is new, unabused, and has 5yr warranty, and many £000's less than a new Focus.

I think I am going to stick with Hyundai all things considered as I want to be sure of hassle free motoring as far as possible and I can't rely on that with the Focus from what's been posted.

Talking Hoa*** - would you let me know what the VED costs are for an Automatic i30 and also what your realistic mpg is please? I was drawn to the i30 manual with the £30 pounds a year tax plus higher MPG from the 6 speed box.

TH - by the way the *** appended to your user name in my last post were added by the site, not me, presumably it picks up those letters as a swear word. Just didn't want you thinking I was asking for help and being an idiot!! :-)

Decision time - i30 v Focus - Talking Hoarse

i30 CRDi auto - VED is £130 py (I think) as its CO2 is 150. MPG is a bit "son-in-law" (ie I hoped for better) - I get about 44mpg on mixed journeys, more on longer runs, much less around town of course and with cold starts. MPG is poorer at the moment with winter /cold weather tyres, and I think is well dragged down by the auto box. I drive carefully /economically most of the time but usually make good progress.

MikeTorque, do you mean the Hyundai i30 and not Kia?

Yes you are correct, sorry about that. I've been driving a lot of Kia's recently...

The only issue with the Focus 1.8 TDCi engine is it has a tendancy to try to stall if there are low revs when engaging the clutch, if it stalls it cuts out with a sudden bang to protect the DMF. As the engine becomes freer it's less likely to occur (e.g. 20k+ miles).

We have been running a Focus Estate 1.8 TDCi for over 5 years and it's not had any faults, mpg on the motorway of around 64+mpg at legal speeds, lots of torque, the engine makes slightly more noise than the 1.6 TDCi. We've noticed the 1.8 TDCi engine is smoother with Millers Diesel Power Ecomax and fuel economy improves by around 2mpg as well.

As far as I know most of the serious faults of the earlier 1.6 TDCi engines have been sorted out by Ford and a post 2008 1.6 TDCi Focus which has regular oil & filter changes has a fair chance of providing reliable motoring. The oil sump doesn't hold that much oil so draining it out and refilling more often than the recommended interval can aid engine protection.

Dingle232, what did you choose in the end ?

Bought a 2010 i30 1.6 CRDi today. 25k miles, immaculate with FSH and really did my homework on the car before buying and got a discount on the screen price from a small independent.

All it needs are tyres so have ordered some Avon Ice Touring winters for now as the ones on the car are an odd mix of Hankook, Michelin and Conti; the result being quite noisy. I'll ditch them, run the Avons 'til March then put something decent on.

What swung it was, again, the service from respective dealers. Rang Hyundai today to check out the car and confirm warranty - could not be more helpful and obliging. This week rag 4 Ford dealers to enquire about Focii - could not have been less helpful!

Car was serviced in Sept 2011 but wonder whether it's worth having another oil/filter change - or is that not necessary? I always tend to do that habitually with diesels when I buy them just so I know it's decent lube in there but in this case the service was done by a Hyundai Main dealer in Sept about 3k miles ago.

In all, very very pleased.

Edited by Dingle232 on 23/12/2011 at 23:33

Decision time - i30 v Focus - RT
Car was serviced in Sept 2011 but wonder whether it's worth having another oil/filter change - or is that not necessary? I always tend to do that habitually with diesels when I buy them just so I know it's decent lube in there but in this case the service was done by a Hyundai Main dealer in Sept about 3k miles ago.

In all, very very pleased.

It's worth doing an oil/filter change using the specified ACEA C3 oil - anecdotally one or two Hyundai dealers have been continuing to use the A3/B3 oil required by earlier non-DPF diesels

How do you make sure they use the right stuff?

Buy it yourself and take it in seems to be favourite - not that you can even guarantee that they'll actually use it.

Decision time - i30 v Focus - bintang
I have never known a car so easily stalled as the i30, until I got an i10. It must be a Hyundai thing. I wonder if first is too high, maybe to get good mpg.
I have never known a car so easily stalled as the i30, until I got an i10. It must be a Hyundai thing. I wonder if first is too high, maybe to get good mpg.

The amount of time spent in 1st gear is so little that it's effect on fuel consumption must be negligible.

Decision time - i30 v Focus - KB.

I have never known a car so easily stalled as the i30, until I got an i10. It must be a Hyundai thing. ..........

Agreed. Others on Hyundai forums have noticed it too. One of the reasons I bought an auto i10, having had a manual one which did it...(as well as suffer clutch judder and clonky 1st to 2nd changes...and it would seem clutch cables do like to stretch from new too. Having said all that, the automatic on facelifted versions has a bit of an issue which I'm currently pursuing but still too soon to draw conclusions. The dealer is doing his best it has to be said - it's now passed on to Hyundai Head Office and their technical department and I wouldn't be put off an i30 by these i10 issues.

Interesting. This is my second i30 and I have never had that problem.

Good choice Dingle, the dealer servicing is a key consideration and the warranty provides good backup. What's the bhp of your i30 ?

I've never had a problem with the i30 stalling, the 115ps I've driven was so throttle sensitive the car would fly down the road with the lightest of touches.

Regarding the oil/filter, yes it's a good plan to change the oil/filter if you're not sure about their status. If you've been happy with your previous i30 servicing then you may as well entrust them to do the oil/filter change whilst you watch over them, if in doubt take your own choice of oil along and watch them pour it in, they usually don't mind at all.

The Avon Ice Touring winters (ST) have good reviews and are comfortable as well, a good choice for a winter tyre.

Pity you had poor experiences with the Ford dealers, I've met more than one who were clueless, fortunately there are some good ones out there. When I purchased my used Focus the service was 1st class, patient, hospitable, plenty of time for road tests and helpful throughout.

Mike

Pretty pleased with the decision all round. BHP is 113 with a 6 speed box and it flies along so happy. Will the dealers be ffended if I take my own oil or, conversely, if I buy a filter and oil and get an independent to do it - will they ever know?

I've never had a problem taking in my own oil and asking them to use it although I do have them use & fit one of their official oil filters. Also it's worth while making sure they do actually change the oil filter as I've known them not to do so.

These days if I have a car that is still in warranty I tend to get the dealership to do the oil & filter change and have them stamp the service book to show the work done, that way you cover all angles in case of a warranty claim, plus you have a full record of work done.

It's worth asking the garage what they charge for an oil/filter change as prices do vary. If there is a large differential in price between your garage/dealership for their oil/filter package compared to using your own oil (ensure you use a Hyundai oil filter) then make sure your choosen oil spec. is as recommeded or exceeds spec. then give the work to a trusted garage who will do the work according to your requirements and have them stamp the service book oil & filter change record and make a note of the materials used.

Also ensure they change the sump plug washer when they do the oil change, saves a possible leak occurring at a later date.

I have had a bit of time to root through all the stuff that the car came with now. The car was given its full 2 year/20k service in September this year and has covered only 1500 miles since. I don't think that the oil change is a necessity at this stage; particularly as I found that the previous owner was a nice chap who lived about 2 miles from me and who confirmed that the car was sound and that all servicing carried out properly and prommptly.

Tyres arriving this week so it will probably handle like a very different motor once they are on - am looking forward to that.

What I have spotted though is that the front passenger seat has 2 very small holes in the fabric that will probably get bigger if left. Can you get these repaired and is it expensive?I am in the Warrington/Merseyside area if anyone knows a decent outfit who do this kind of work?