mercedes e 280 cdi estate - what m.p.g should i get - mercmancdi

i have a jan 2007 mercedes e 280 cdi estate with 100000 mls full mercedes benz service history and it runs like new but i find it is only doing around 30-32 mpg although this is mostly short trips last year i had the same car in salon version with 60000 mls and it was doing 36-39 mpg why is there such a difference in the same cars

thank you for any suggestions

mercedes e 280 cdi estate - what m.p.g should i get - Peter.N.

I take it this is an auto, a manual should do a lot better than that. Is this based on the actual read out from the fuel computer, if so have you backed it up with a brim to brim test?. If you have only recently bought it the cold weather will have an effect on fuel consumption especially if you are only doing short journeys. Assuming you are doing similar journeys at similar speeds to the old car I can't see why it should be much worse. The estate is somewhat heavier but I wouldn't have thought that would have made a difference of more thn 1 - 2 mpg - unless you are carrying a lot of weight.

mercedes e 280 cdi estate - what m.p.g should i get - Collos25

A full MB service history means absolutely nothing look in the service book and see when the Air filter was last replaced or better still have a look yourself very easy job.I have just bought a e class 220cdi for use in the UK although a full service history the air filter was black bright it was date stamped probably the original a new filter and the cars consumption increased by 6mpg and I also cleaned the EGR valve another 2mpg most of the DB agents in the UK that I have come across are pathetic would be bankrupt in a month if they offered the same quality of service in Germany.