Ford Focus 1.6 petrol - Dropping out of gear - Brianb

We have a 2005 1.6 Zetec Focus. Had the car for about 6 years and covered 36K and always serviced by my excellent local ford dealer. Recently (6 months) the car has been dropping out of second gear intermittantly. It goes in easy enough no noise or problems, first and reverse engage without problems. It might be dropping out of third too, but I'm not 100% sure (wife's car). Without having problems enagaging first or reverse it doesn't soundl like its the clutch, but I'm not an expert. With the previous good history we intended to keep the car, but the power steering pump failed recently, £350 :(, and the coil pack before that. So I'm now thinking of changing before I sink too much into the car. Any ideas what might be the cause and hence the cure and some approximate cost for a garage to fix?

Ford Focus 1.6 petrol - Dropping out of gear - Peter.N.

Sounds like gearbox wear to me I'm afraid, probably on the 2nd gear synchro hub, these tend to have a hard life if you change gear to quickly. Its probably worthwhile checking the linkage but if it feels as though its going right in, it will be the box.

Ford Focus 1.6 petrol - Dropping out of gear - Brianb

I had the car in the Ford dealer and they couldn't replicate the problem. It's behaving itself at the moment and as the dealer won't diagnose the problem without witnessing it I can't do anything at the moment.

Might be a good time to px though?

Ford Focus 1.6 petrol - Dropping out of gear - unthrottled

Worn synchros tend to make engaging a gear (esp downshifting) difficult. Agree that 2nd synchro leads a hard life, but third as well?

It could be that the selector forks are bent and not allowing the baulk rings to fully engage. If you're very lucky, a maladjusted linkage would have the same effect!

Ford Focus 1.6 petrol - Dropping out of gear - Peter.N.

The fact that the dealer cannot replicate the fault maybe because it only occurs when the engine/gearbox is hot and the oil thin.

Ford Focus 1.6 petrol - Dropping out of gear - Galaxy

The gearbox is controlled by cables which are mounted below the gear lever. It's possible to adjust these but it's definitely a garage job because you have to get right underneath the car to be able to do it.

I rather think this might be your problem. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the design of that gearbox; mine's done 190K and it's still going strong!