VW Golf mk2 - Poor Acceleration/Spluttering - dogstick

My G reg VW Golf mk2 seems to slow down and almost stop for a couple of seconds when I accelerate from a standing start.. It then starts to pick up but still runs poorly and will cut out when I stop. I know it is probably to do with the Pierburg 2e2 carb.

Fuel pump pumping, Visible jet at top under valve/flap jetting. It just seems like on acceleration too much air is getting drawn in and is affecting the fuel mix.

Any Ideas/info gratefully received

Thanks

Edited by dogstick on 05/12/2011 at 14:52

VW Golf mk2 - Poor Acceleration/Spluttering - VR6

My old G reg 1.6 Golf used to suffer from the carb freezing when the outside temp dropped. Its been a while since I owned it but......

There was a foam covered pipe, approx 2 inch dia from the airbox are to the carb which would divert warm air to the carb. The foam perished allowing cold air into the pipe, causing carb freezing. Cured by bodging some foam & duct tape around pipe.

VW Golf mk2 - Poor Acceleration/Spluttering - Big John

My old Polo 1.0 used to have the same problem. The large(ish) pipe from the top of the exhaust manifold to the air filter intake is usually the thing that falls appart or falls off causing carb icing. In my case it wasn't this but the small thermostatic vacuum device that opens the valve on the air filter when cold - I simply moved the vacuum pipe straight onto the valve.

VW Golf mk2 - Poor Acceleration/Spluttering - TeeCee

Banging "Pierburg 2e2" into Google produces a whole slew of sites with useful info on fault finding.

From this one: http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/baden/2e2.htm your problem sounds very like number 9 on the list, with the likely culprits identified as: "Carburettor icing due to failed intake preheater (defective control valve or flap in air intake) or defective bypass heater. Rubber flange broken"

Thanks Guys for your advice... I will check this out. One other thing I noticed today was that it ran really badly as before to the Station. I parked and when I returned 15 mins later it ran OK... as if something has operated and recovered the fault...?

Cheers

VW Golf mk2 - Poor Acceleration/Spluttering - VR6

Mine was the same. When moving, 'wind chill' increases the carb icing. Once stationary for a while, the warm engine and lack of moving air defrosts the carb.

VW Golf mk2 - Poor Acceleration/Spluttering - hardway

Classic symptoms of a failed car/manifold composite gasket.sometimes so bad if you pull at the carb body while running it'll stall as the cracks are opend up,sometimes the carb almost comes off!!not a big job,might have to order the composite gaket these days though.

I removed the airbox assembly and checked that the flap inside operates to a vaccum and isn't jammed. I believe this only functions until warm air is detected in the air filter box. It seems to be working OK and I have removed the air hose to the wheel arch so just getting air from inside the engine compartment. Have also made sure the hose from the manifold is properly connected. The car does seem to be running/idling better already.

I will check the carb/manifold gasket tomorrow. The carb does seem to wobble quite easily and the gasket wasn't changed when I fitted a new inlet manifold a year or so ago.

Thanks again for all the help...