Speculative saleman... - johnnyrev

.....so the salesman who sold us our new car 18 months ago phoned to invite us into the dealership to see if he can do us a deal on a new car.

What are your experience of this sort of speculative sales patter? Is it just because it is a slow time of year for sales or are we likely to get a good deal?

We had no plans to change our car but a good deal may change our mind...

Speculative saleman... - barney100

Forgive my cynicism but I always find anyone ringing me to sell something has their own interests at heart and not mine!

Speculative saleman... - RT

That's realism, not cynicism.

Speculative saleman... - jc2

December is a slow month in the trade-you can get a good deal and he'll get commission.My daughter has just had a similar call-she was going to book her car in for a service-now no service but a new car for the same payments.In the past,I had a call offering me a new car in place of a six month old one and reduced payments and a lump sum to me-I paused long enough to ask what colours-two days later,I was in a new car.However,when I bought my next car,I was told that that salesman and his manager were no longer employed by the dealer.

Speculative saleman... - RicardoB

Sounds like he was just doing his job.

Yes, he would have been thinking of commission I guess, but also the business as a whole.

It's a shame that in my experience, some sales staff don't do themselves or their dealerships a lot of favours by appearing a tad intimidating or, perhaps even more crucially, having remarkably poor product knowledge. Maybe it's me though, reading up too much about makes and models on manufacturers websites and sites like this!

It's a shame that in my experience, some sales staff don't do themselves or their dealerships a lot of favours by appearing a tad intimidating or, perhaps even more crucially, having remarkably poor product knowledge. Maybe it's me though, reading up too much about makes and models on manufacturers websites and sites like this!

But salesmen only need good product knowledge of the brand they're selling - many can't even manage that.

Yes, that was my point. Too many don't seem to know about even basic info about the makes and models they are representing.

Speculative saleman... - TeeCee

Yes, that was my point. Too many don't seem to know about even basic info about the makes and models they are representing.

I had a long chat once with a chap who owned a small hotel I stayed in. His previous career had been in sales, most things including a long stint in the motor industry. He'd worked for Volvo, Rover, Ford and a few others.

As he put it, the most soul-destroying experience was working for Ford. Everywhere else he needed to know the product and the options, provide a test drive, trot out the best sales chat and then wait, hoping he'd done well, to see if the punter came back to buy after they'd seen everything else on their list of possibilities.

Selling Fords was all about having a new one of what the punter already had, available in the right colour. A Ford customer had invariably made up their mind before setting foot in the showroom.

Speculative saleman... - Avant

As others have said, he's just doing his job.

My first Octavia vRS was about 18 months old when it went in for its 20,000-mile service. Sam the salesman at Jewsons Skoda in Oxford recognised the car and while I was out with the loan car prepared a quote for a new one (on a PCP as was the first) for £80 a month less than I was paying. And the deal on that first one had been pretty good.

He got a sale: I got a new car. Opportunism perhaps - but that's what he's paid for. So have a look and see if a new one would be the same or cheaper than the one you have now. If there's a special offer on, as there was with mine, it could be worthwhile.

Speculative saleman... - tony g
It's no surprise to me ,that as a thirty year veteran of the car trade ,that many buyers find car buying a poor experience.
It's rare that any dealer either independent or multiple, provides training to it's sales staff ,in product knowledge or basic sales training.

Most youngsters coming in to the trade ,with the promise of £35k a year for on target earnings ,plus a company car ,last less than a year.

Initially they are out of their depth on product knowledge ,so they waffle.
This alienates a potential buyer and their promised earnings often reach just £15k a year for a 200 240 hour working month.

The car trade must be the only business where a consumer goes out to spend £10k plus and has to deal with an individual who knows less about the product than the buyer.

The answer has to be ,initially a month on product knowledge and basic sales technique ,ie listen twice as much as you speak.it's an old mantra that's stood me in good stead for many years.

What has been other buyers experience of car sales ,especially the good ones .
I'm always looking to learn something new.

Tony g
Initially they are out of their depth on product knowledge ,so they waffle. Tony g

Why don't they start by reading the sales brochures - and then asking their manager or a technician to explain each term in the brochure they don't understand - and then follow on by reading every magazine review of each of the models they sell.

Personally, I don't want a sales person's attention when I go to buy a car, or anything else - I want someone that can tell me, or find me, the technical information I need - they don't have to be an Oracle of all knowledge as long as they can understand the question and know where to find the answer - then I'll make my own mind up what/when to buy - and then I need an order-taker - simples!

I may be a car salesman's worst nightmare but I never waste their time - if I'm only browsing I say so and let them get on with something else.

Hi rt ,an arrogant collection of comments,it's clear you're not employed in dealing with the public.
(I say so and let them get on with something else !!!)
I can't imagine many sales people would want to spend any time with you ,with that kind of attitude.

Tony g
Hi rt ,an arrogant collection of comments,it's clear you're not employed in dealing with the public. (I say so and let them get on with something else !!!) I can't imagine many sales people would want to spend any time with you ,with that kind of attitude. Tony g

What would you rather I do - politely give them time to try to sell me something I may not want and will decide in the end not to buy - that's wasting both our time.

If I'm spending £5,000 - £50,000 on a car I'll decide if I want to buy it - not someone else who isn't affected if it's not the best choice.

What would you rather I do - politely give them time to try to sell me something I may not want and will decide in the end not to buy - that's wasting both our time

Rt .yet your quite happy to demand the salesmans time when you want technical information .to assist you in making a decision.
What do you when you have the information. wave him away?

You demand professionalism from the salespeople you deal with,then treat them in arrogant way.

Is it an opportunity to be in control that you enjoy.

Tony g
What would you rather I do - politely give them time to try to sell me something I may not want and will decide in the end not to buy - that's wasting both our time Rt .yet your quite happy to demand the salesmans time when you want technical information .to assist you in making a decision. What do you when you have the information. wave him away? You demand professionalism from the salespeople you deal with,then treat them in arrogant way. Is it an opportunity to be in control that you enjoy. Tony g

Tony - I'm not a control freak - but I am in control of MY money, not someone else, and I'll decide how to spend it. That's not arrogance, just plain common sense.

Speculative saleman... - Roly93

As a sales person (not motor trade), I have to feel slightly sorry for some of these guys. Times are very hard for some of them and at least he is being proactive.

A lot of car sales people expect sales to fall into their lap with minimum work, this annoys me in our industry (telecoms) also !

Speculative saleman... - SamPazza

I often get annoyed at being contacted like this for sales (get loads because of work) but to be fair they are just going their job.

Speculative saleman... - colinh

Had an email from VW last month noting my Golf was 6 years old and they offered a direct from VW rebate of €1000 in addition to the normal dealer discounts (didn't like to tell them it was sold a couple of years ago).

I agree that it's not an easy job, especially at the moment. And of course it is hard to judge whether a potential customer wants to be approached or left to browse. They run the risk of being accused of ignoring or the other extreme, being too pushy.

Best way is just a friendly "hello"/acknowledgement along the lines of "here if you need me" etc.

Obvious really. But then I spent many years in retail.

Maybe I should apply to car sales. But then again, I'm too old now, being over the early 20s!

Speculative saleman... - concrete

As with any industry there are good, bad and indifferent on how they interact with a potential customer. It does take years to aquire the skills to learn when to speak and when to listen. When to follow through and when to retreat.The good ones, and I know a few, are a pleasure to deal with. They are invariably honest with the figures and do not try the 'smoke and mirrors' approach. Some I know personally will actually warn you off a vehicle they don't think is 'right'. They realise you are not a fool and any hint of trickery, the deal is off. Once the figures are on the table the negotiating begins, hopefully a point can be reached where both are happy. I don't really expect an encyclopaedic knowledge of the product, I prefer my own research. I simply expect a level of respect, honest figures and negotiations and above all the authority to agree a deal with me. I do find it difficult to give cold calls my time when I am not in the market, but you never know, there just may be a great deal from a hungry dealer. Not an easy time for any industry, including my own, at present, so you can't really knock a bit of initiative. I must say though, my local family run Skoda dealer runs a very pleasant operation, relaxed, confident and friendly. Perhaps he ought to give lessons! Best to all. Concrete

Speculative saleman... - dieseldogg

Being engaged in the process of buying another car at the moment I am amused/appalled at the lack of knowledge & attitude of some/most of the uninformed arrogent young male sales staff.

I get the distinct impression that one is supposed to to glad to be able to buy a car off them, that is buy the car they want to sell as opposed to the model one expressed an interest in (&with clearly spelled out reasons)

We have met a couple of exceptions, one gentleman, in the trade for twenty years, the other a young woman who could be a farmers daughter.

One pup even tried to mislead me that traction control was the same as a vehicle stability or electronic stability package control.

I was civil & polite but boy o boy were the wife & the daughter not comparing notes in respect of his failings as we left the dealership.

The wife should be going back today to a particular dealership to deal with a particular agent with whom we established an easy rapport last week.

Speculative saleman... - Armitage Shanks {p}

I used to have dealings with a major Mercedes dealership in Munchen Gladbach. The senior saleman was very smart and a product knowledge that defied belief. He knew the spec, options, engine variants and trim options of every car they sold, a smaller range than today admittedly. More like Mastermind than a car sales man!

Speculative saleman... - dieseldogg

Ah but!

If Aldi could train their staff to memorise the prices of all the produsts the store stocked, ( & Ok this was in the 1980's, & before cheap laser scanners? ) such feats? should be commonplace.

I do know that the main secondhand local car dealer here locally can recite the details of all or certainly most of his stock off the top of his head, Ok he has been in the business this 30 years and it is his business, but.......ditto for the various agricultural machinery dealers/owners.

Cheers

M

Edited by dieseldogg on 05/12/2011 at 11:32