Nissan Serena - Advice needed please - replacing & upgrading - Lizzy66

Hi all,

my Nissan Serena was stolen 2 days ago. Im both gutted and in need of instant advice.

This was my livliehood as I drive big drums around to do community and school workshops. www.taikoschool.com

I am looking for something a bit bigger inside than a NS, more like VW transporter space.

My budget cannot go past 2k unfortunately.

The NS was thristy and noisy but a real workhorse (an import so also pain in the butt to replace parts).

Obviously I need to think of the following:-

• Fuel consumption (I do many miles up and down the country)
  • Space
  • Seating (would be great to seat another 2 passengers, maybe even 4!
  • Keeping any equipment hidden (not that I usually keep stuff inside!)

I know naff all about vans, where to look and just want something reliable, low fuel consumption and enough space.

ANY advice or help REALLY appreciated!!!

Cheers, Liz.

Edited by Lizzy66 on 24/11/2011 at 12:55

Nissan Serena - Advice needed please - replacing & upgrading - gordonbennet

You could do far worse than seek out a Toyota Hiace Diesel van.

Transits are good too.

Nissan Serena - Advice needed please - replacing & upgrading - Ethan Edwards

A friend swears by her Kia Sedona...thats hugemungous I beleive.

Nissan Serena - Advice needed please - replacing & upgrading - Collos25

Watch out for the road tax costs on the Kia most even the diesels are in the high bracket £440.

Nissan Serena - Advice needed please - replacing & upgrading - Trilogy

I agree with the Toyota suggestion. These are very reliable vehicles. I'd go for one over a VW on those grounds.

Nissan Serena - Advice needed please - replacing & upgrading - jamie745

Watch out for the road tax costs on the Kia most even the diesels are in the high bracket £440.

Not on ones within her budget they're not. For 2k she's looking at 53 plate at the newest really. The two highest VED bands L and M are not relevent to cars registered before a 56 plate.

Nissan Serena - Advice needed please - replacing & upgrading - a900ss
If you need seats as well, what about an early Toyota Previa or one of the Previa imports?

MUCH more refined than your Nissan, bigger, faster and more economical (but I am guessing on the economy part so please check!!!)

Good luck.

Hi all..........thanks for the advice!

Having found a great Toyota Hiace, I have now bumped smack into the London Emissions Zone changes for Jan 2012.

It wasnt the weight but the age of the van (1998) which prevented it from passing the requirements!

Have we any other suggestions aside from the Toyotsa Hiace?.......feel like Im banging my head on a brick wall here :(

Nissan Serena - Advice needed please - replacing & upgrading - gordonbennet

Dang, forgot about that, quick scrap all those older vans and build new ones, it's better for the environment and green headlines..;)

Well apart from a newer Hiace, and i really don't know how new you would have to go or indeed when they will next shift the goal posts, i'm stumped.

Have you double and triple checked the LEZ situation, eg your type of use, is there no way round it?

Righto assuming the Hiace is out the window, Peugeot 806 or it's identical sisters Citroen Synergie and Fiat Ulysses, don't whatever you do and however cheap it is be tempted into an 807 or it's equivalents or an Espace.

Van wise, Peugout Expert, Citroen Dispatch, Fiat Scudo..all the same and good vehicles, some models came with rear seats, these are superb vehicles and Eurotaxi are re upholstered versions of them which go one to starship mileages.

Proper UK model Previa...it will be petrol engined in your budget and they have a serious drink problem but one already LPG converted could be a possibility.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201138417442901/sort/priceasc/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/price-to/2000/model/sedona/make/kia/page/1/postcode/e154bq/radius/30?logcode=p

VED is 12months for £260 as it's a before 2006.

7 seater -thats going to be far roomier than your Serena.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 29/11/2011 at 14:51

I took a look at your link Ethan....thanks a lot.

I think I have to look at vans only as I will need to keep equipment out of sight from now on (if I have to keep it in there)

Keep any links coming people.....it really helps!!

OK but vans are subject to the LEZ whereas cars are not.

You could just use some tint or mirror film on the rear windows to obscure the vision. AFAIK It's only the driver and pass front windows and windscreen that need to be clear -ish.

OK! I will make a cuppa and go look into these.

The guy sellig the Hiace phoned VOSA who helpfully told him his van would defo not make it thro.

Whats going to happen every year...........are they going to keep raising the year's of vehicles until we all have to stop running our own businesses and go work for someone else!!! Grrrrr........

I will report back later....thanks again :)