2008 Lancer Mitsubish 1.8 petrol gs3 - OIL specs differ on Castrol website vs dealer. - Paul G1pdc

Good morning.

I bought a 1.8 petrol lancer 2008 model a few months ago, and it will be due a service in approx 2,000 miles, so am gathering together the parts to do so, the filters etc I bought from the main dealer yesterday,

but the oil the dealer uses for the service is 10w-40 semi synth..

but according to the castrol oil website when you enter your reg number they recommend 5w-30 edge.

any ideas....which one would be best.

Paul

2008 Lancer Mitsubish 1.8 petrol gs3 - OIL specs differ on Castrol website vs dealer. - RT

The information on oil viscosity and specification should be in the owners manual - you may need to select the climate temperate range for the UK as the tables printed are often multi-market.

Don't worry about the semi-synth, etc - viscosity and ACEA grade are the important bits.

If you haven't got the owners manual or it doesn't give it then contact Mitsubishi directly - some dealers are slow to change bulk supply oil specifications and can't be relied on to use/recommend the correct grade - the majority are fine but since you never know who the dumb ones are, check with the manufacturer or importer in this case.

Castrol have also been known to recommend a different viscosity to the manufacturer!

I'm not casting aspersions of dealers or Castrol - just going from my own experience of Vauxhall, Subaru and Hyundai.

2008 Lancer Mitsubish 1.8 petrol gs3 - OIL specs differ on Castrol website vs dealer. - Falkirk Bairn

>>Castrol have also been known to recommend a different viscosity to the manufacturer!

I think you will find tht Castrol Edge is the new "HIGHER PRICED" oil - funny that Castrol would recommend the dearest oil they make!

2008 Lancer Mitsubish 1.8 petrol gs3 - OIL specs differ on Castrol website vs dealer. - Paul G1pdc

thanks for the replies... .

the castrol website for my wifes v40 volvo said 10/40 but the 5/30 for the Lancer..

glad I went to the main dealer though, as it turns out the car has an outstanding safety recall...

will have to look into it further...have the service/owners book at home,,,