Nissan Micra - What car to buy? - RuthS

I currently drive an 08 plate Nissan Micra and am very happy with it having previously driven a 51 plate Micra and have never had any major problems with either. At the moment I drive about 180 miles a week between commuting to work and social driving. Next year my work is moving offices and instead of an 11 mile drive each way to work, it will be 33 each way, mostly on motorways. This will take my weekly mileage to over 400!

So I reckon I am going to have to get a new car as I don't think a Micra would be up to that mileage daily. Any advice what I should buy? I haven't got a budget at present but I won't have a large amount to spend. Most important to me is fuel economy (I want a petrol and not diesel), safety and reliability. I live in Scotland so it also needs to be good in ice and snow and start first time before 6am when frosted up and I'm leaving for work! I have heard that Ford Focus has good fuel economy and I liked the idea of a Golf but then I read the prices and they're too expensive..... Ideally I'd look to buy a 1 to 2 year old car.

Any advice gratefully received!

Nissan Micra - What car to buy? - jamie745

On 400 miles a week that'll take your average annual mileage to over 20,000 and on that sort of mileage its definately worth considering a diesel. General rule of thumb is over 15k - diesel. With mostly motorway mileage this would suit a large-ish comfortable diesel car perfectly. Diesels are generally more to buy but the higher mileage you do the sooner you'll be 'in the black' as it were.

However if you're looking to buy a 1-2 year old car then i think you're right to avoid diesels with the well documented DPF problems (feel free to scour this forum for DPF related threads). The Focus is a very good car but petrol models are not tremendously economical, you're looking at over £3,000 a year in petrol alone on that sort of mileage. The best normal car for snow that ive ever encountered is the Peugeot 406, they are getting on a bit now though of course, generally anything with smallish wheels, chunky tyres and half decent ground clearence (no BMW's on 19 inch wheels etc) should be ok.

Generally i'd recommend buying a three-year old car from a franchised dealership, most warranties are three years so you know its had everything it needs during that time and will probably cost half as much as it did new. If you really dont want a diesel then something like a Toyota Prius would probably be the only way to keep fuel costs halfway sensible on 20k a year but i wouldnt want to drive one in snow without putting some decent premium tyres on it over the horrid eco friendly things its made with. Personally if i was doing 20k a year i'd rather have something like a Volvo S80 D5 (diesel) over something like a Prius.

If you could let us know what 'not a large amount to spend' would be that'd be helpful. Just a ballpark figure would be great.

Welcome to the forum by the way! :)

Nissan Micra - What car to buy? - Avant

Ruth - welcome. You can buy a diesel safely as with the mileage you're going to do you won't have a problem with the particulate filter (the filters give grief if used for too many short journeys).

If you don't need a lot of room for people and luggage, a smallish car with a big engine could suit you - like a Skoda Fabia 1.9 TDI or newer 1.6 TDI (cheaper than a Golf for a car of similar age, but with the same engine), or a Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDI. The VW Polo is smaller than the Golf, therefore cheaper, although probably still more than a Fabia.

There are also some good economical petrol engines about, such as the 1.3 Toyota Yaris or Honda Jazz (also 1.3 although they call it 1.4 - it's 1339 cc).

Nissan Micra - What car to buy? - Falkirk Bairn

66 mls per day in a Micra - I would not think it would be a problem.

What is the journey?

I used to do the at least 30 mile each way trip 2/3 days, Aberdeen, Inverness and most large towns 2/3 days a week. That was when I was gainfully employed rather than a sponging OAP that I am now!

Buying a new diesel car will save you ££s at the petrol pump but you will fork out a lot more cash to buy the car or cash every month if it is on HP.

Garages love people buying new cars at many thousands of new profit to save a few hundred a year on petrol.

I am still looking to buy a Honda Legend 3.5 ltr petrol 2nd hand - say £10-£12K rather than say a brand new Lexus IS at £22K - Lower depreciation and high fuel rather than High depreciation and more modest fuel

Edited by Falkirk Bairn on 23/11/2011 at 20:26

Nissan Micra - What car to buy? - oldtoffee

>>>I currently drive an 08 plate Nissan Micra and am very happy with it

I'd keep it and see how it works out for you on the new longer commute, give it a couple of months, measure the mpg you get, see how you feel in the car on the drive and then look at a small diesel like those recommended and calculate the extra cost of buying it, factor in lower fuel costs and see if you're better off sticking with your current car.

Edited by oldtoffee on 23/11/2011 at 21:52

Nissan Micra - What car to buy? - Bobbin Threadbare

I echo oldtoffee's sentiments. Keep your Micra - it's reasonably new, you like it and you need to test it out on a big journey. I used to commute 120 miles a day in a petrol Ford Focus. I could have swapped it in for a diesel I suppose but I really liked it. It was comfortable, which is the most important factor when you're doing long journeys I reckon. You might get surprisingly decent economy on the motorway from the Micra anyway.

The rule of thumb about the diesel/petrol economy values is all well and good, but there are other costs and considerations and it's making petrol cars seem like inefficient steam engines or something, when they're not!

(Oh I also meant to say - I have a friend who has a 57 plate Micra and she does a round trip of about 52 miles a day in it - it holds up pretty well!)

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 24/11/2011 at 08:13

Nissan Micra - What car to buy? - Chris79

Hello,

I have just sold a 2003 1.2 petrol micra. The reason... well i am doing a 100 mile daily commute and found that the micra whilst reliable and reasonably economical wasnt very comfortable. It wasnt that i got out at the end and had a bad back or sore neck, it just wasnt a very relaxing place to be in.

I guess it comes down to how much money you are prepared to spend on your comfort, After a year of the micra on my commute i felt that 5700 on a diesel Kia Ceed was money well spent.

Hello,

I have just sold a 2003 1.2 petrol micra. The reason... well i am doing a 100 mile daily commute and found that the micra whilst reliable and reasonably economical wasnt very comfortable. It wasnt that i got out at the end and had a bad back or sore neck, it just wasnt a very relaxing place to be in.

I guess it comes down to how much money you are prepared to spend on your comfort, After a year of the micra on my commute i felt that 5700 on a diesel Kia Ceed was money well spent.

I dont know how refined the newer micras are, but i am currently driving a loan car a new Polo 1.2 . Its amazing how much more refined it is than the Micra. I always felt that half the problem with the micra was it s lack of refinement.

Nissan Micra - What car to buy? - Ethan Edwards

I'm shocked by that. I have had Micra's as loan cars whilst my Xtrail and Note are being serviced etc. I've always found them to be very good - comfy and quiet.

So much so that I seriously looked at one before I ended up with the Note. IMO a Micra (old shape) is head and shoulders above say a Corsa and compared very well with riding in my colleagues 07 Fiesta.

Only reason I went with the Note was for a wee bit more interior space - that and a better overall deal.

Nissan Micra - What car to buy? - Alby Back

I'd keep it unless you begin to find it uncomfortabe. You'll lose a shedload in depreciation. 30 odd miles is also about the perfect distance to please your car mechanically too ! Enough time / distance for everything to warm through properly without being so far as to put huge miles on every year. I'd bet you you could get that wee car well up past 100k miles without too much grief using it like that. As for winter capability, it's a small front wheel drive. More or less ideal. Just make sure your tyres are in good nick.

Hello,

I'd have to agree with humph, I'm sure it will be reliable, and keeping it will save you a fortune in depreciation. It will just come down to how much emphasis you put on your comfort.

Having just driven to work and back in the polo I would say again how much more refined it is than the micra.
Nissan Micra - What car to buy? - RuthS

Thanks for all the advice and welcome. I know I'll not be helping here but I seriously don't have any idea of a budget at the moment. I think I paid about £6000 for the Micra and I could probably go a little higher so maybe £7000 at the very maximum.

The commute would be Dumbarton to Blantyre so A82, Erskine Bridge, M8, new M74 extension, M74. I'm also waiting to find out what type of disturbance allowance is available and also whether some of us can lift share. And from that perspective I'd need a 5 door (currently 3 door). I have no problems ever driving the Micra on motorways, I'm just concerned that on a regular basis it wouldn't cope. Polo is tempting. Nissan Note also crossed my mind as slightly more to it.

Because I have never had such a long commute, I just don't know about the type of car I should look for. I've always just gone for a small, economical one that doesn't need to have loads of extras, just gets me about the place safely!

Nissan Micra - What car to buy? - jamie745

Theres no reason why the Micra wouldnt cope with regular motorway journies but in my opinion theres other, bigger cars which would do the job more comfortably. I find after a longish journey in a little car i know ive done a longish journey (Smart Four-Four most notably) yet in the S-Type its just like popping to the shop.

If anything all cars prefer regular use at steady speeds, small cars dont rattle on motorways like the old Fiesta's of 25 years ago.

And what on earth is a disturbance allowance?

:)

Nissan Micra - What car to buy? - Avant

It sounds like an allowance given for having to drive an old-style diesel like a Perkins Prima - but actually it's what some employers offer you if your job is moving further from home. They offer it because they don't want to be sued for constructive dismissal (this wouldn't be the case unless the distance became uncommutable).

Nissan Micra - What car to buy? - Alby Back

Well, the journey doesn't sound too hard on the car. I know that stretch can be busy but at least it's mainly motorway. I guess if the question is "will the car take it? " then yes, there's no reason to suspect it wouldn't. A Note for example is mechanically very similar so wouldn't really give any longevity advantages. Having said that, the Micra shouldn't give any bother either.

However, if you would feel safer or more comfortable in a bigger car and that's the real question then fair enough. More than understandable. If you could stretch your budget a wee bit you might find an early Qashqai 1.6 petrol. Top notch safety rating, chain cam engine and easily tops 40mpg. Tons of room too.

Hope you get something sorted !

Nissan Micra - What car to buy? - hotbiker

Nissan Micra Vs Chevrolet Beat -- Check this link you will be getting you answer for sure as i also got my answer from this site do register here. you will be getting your answer very quickly. www.indiagarage.com/thread13201.html