Help Required with New Car Options Please - leonora

Hi All

The time has arrived when I must replace my much-loved Mini Cooper which I have thoroughly enjoyed owning and driving over the last nearly 5 years. Unfortunately, my 89-year old mother is no longer able to get out of the back which has led to a couple of very distressing incidents in the past few months. As I am up and down the motorway caring for both elderly parents and ferrying them to medical appointments it is vital that I now have a reliable, economical, practical 5-door car. I also need an automatic as I have developed a form of arthritis (fully automatic I may add, none of those wretched semi-automatics which are jerky and horrible to drive in my experience).

The contenders have been reduced from a long list of over 20 down to 4 cars, Honda Jazz EX (2011), Nissan Note Tekna, Toyota Prius T-spirit and Honda Civic; we already have one of these latter as a lease vehicle which has about 11 months to go so obviously I am familiar with this one. I've test-driven the Jazz and found the steering rather imprecise and tried out the Note which did not appear to have any lumbar support in the seats so may not be as supportive as I like. The Prius I tried out 5 years ago in my last search so i know it is not unpleasant to drive.

My requirements are: automatic, 5-door, 5-seater, reliable, economical, practical (i.e. good seat manoeuvrability) not French or Italian (sorry but reliability is important) with air-con, electric retractable mirrors, plenty of leg room in rear with height sufficient for 6 footer son/husband, auto lighting and wipers, bluetooth for handsfree phone use, USB socket for interactive i-pod listening, preferably sat-nav, ABS and all safety acronyms, I would love the keyless entry and start I have with the mini but this seems in short supply (Note has it). Of course, I have been spoilt by the mini with the driving experience and so found the Jazz a bit lacklustre so this is why I am tempted by another Civic which is full of almost all the (let's face it) toys I want and I enjoy driving but is not as economical to run.

I have a budget of £14,000 allowing for trade-in figure of about £6,500 (slight dents to mini boot where it argued with electric garage door) and am looking for a car less than a year old if poss - I think this rules out Prius anyway.

Any ideas please? Have already discounted A-class as seat on test run did my back in!

Many thanks for all your help.

Help Required with New Car Options Please - RT

Add to your shortlist all the soft-road SUVs and crossovers - most of them have a more economical 2wd option and many are MORE suited to those with mobility issues than conventional cars which are significantly lower.

The extra height makes it so much easier to get in/out when matched to the person.

Make a shortlist of those that you like when you test drive and then take your mother for a "test sit".

Help Required with New Car Options Please - gordonbennet

Don't rule out Prius, even if it means 2 years old, very reliable long term bet. Would Auris Hybrid come into your range yet. Better still apparently there is a Yaris Hybrid planned and should be available soon.

If you recall from your test of Prius previously they are hard to beat for the smoothest drive train and power take up, silent too.

Seeing as proper auto boxed Diesels are as rare as hens teeth in small/medium cars (new Avensis too big?), about the only really economical petrol auto is going to be a hybrid.

Help Required with New Car Options Please - Bobbin Threadbare

As far as the Auris goes, you can get lots of different engines in the automatic version. The hybrid one is VED exempt. There are diesels too. It's a nice neat car as well, with good sit-up seats.

Oh, I forgot to say it has to fit through my garage door which is a couple of inches short of standard size (wayward builders...) - Civic will just go through but am not confident at all with this as very steep drive with brick wall very close to right hand side and problematic neighbour parking directly behind drive and out of sight owing to pitch of drive - think the door width is 2100 mm. And, of course, because of steep drive car should preferably either have ground clearance at front (to avoid bottoming out as it enters garage - Civic does this!) or short stubby bonnet (like Mini or A-class). Phew - IS there such a car?

Looked at new Yaris - not enough height in rear for my males I'm afraid.

Gordon Bennett - do you have personal experience of the Prius? If so what are the servicing intervals and is it expensive to service - presumably only at a Toyota garage?

Help Required with New Car Options Please - jamie745

Gordon Bennett - do you have personal experience of the Prius? If so what are the servicing intervals and is it expensive to service - presumably only at a Toyota garage??

I believe anywhere can service a Prius, its essentially a normal 1.5litre car with a battery stuck on the side. Servicing is very reasonable on the Prius i believe. 10,000 mile service intervals i think.

I know you asked Gordon but here is my review of my afternoon with a Prius, always worth a plug :P

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=92783

Help Required with New Car Options Please - gordonbennet

'''Gordon Bennett - do you have personal experience of the Prius? '''

Driven dozens, owned none, your budget should get you in Prius 3 the current model which is a 1.8 engine plus electric motors..

Toyota servicing is very reasonably priced and their service depts are second to none, i wouldn't entrust a hybrid to anyone else, there are many running round as taxis and are reaching high mileages with little in the way of problems.

The approach angle situation you have is a bit of a quandry, and if the Civic scrapes then an Auris will as will many modern cars, Prius i'm not too sure about, don't recall having problems with grounding out but then i haven't seen your access.

From the description of your garage access i can see why you don't want an automanual of any name, would be hell.

Without going as far as a soft roader type, unless you want one of course, one of the best designs for approach angles is BMW 1 and especially 3 series, wheels right at the front just like the Mini, auto's are proper too and the cars are fairly narrow and being RWD have excellent turning circles.

I know people love to hate them but the X3 would be quite a good car for you to consider, especially considering your garage approach in winter time, 2.0 litre Diesel full auto, nice combination, you could hit your ramp at 40 and still not ground it.

Being 6ft i know how much of a pain it is to get in the back of cars, very few cars are made now with the thought that anybody will get in the back of them.

Out of those four i'd go for the Prius, they're all quite dreary cars to be honest but the Prius makes the most financial sense. Modern diesels' DPF problems are well documented and if you want a diesel its worth looking at something like a 57 plate. Have you considered the Ford Fusion? Was it in your original 20? They dont do a diesel auto but some relatives of mine had one and although its essentially a jacked up Fiesta its added height makes it easy to get in the back, many are automatic and you can get a 58 plate for half of your budget.

We have Prius' as pool cars where i work and its numbers make a compelling argument. Its a Toyota first off so reliability is assured, the hybrid system is proven to work and run for starship mileages, insurance is low, 50+mpg achievable without much effort, its large, 5 doors, even i can sit in the back with no problems, its got no conventional starter motor or alternator to go wrong, its got no DPF or anything which damages diesels reliability, it gets diesel-ish fuel economy on cheaper fuel (petrol is 130.9 and diesel 142.9 today where i am), very low tax only £10 a year (would be £20 but technically its classed as an alternative fuel vehicle) and for under £10,000 you can get a 58 plate, T Spirit with very low miles (50k is hardly woken up on these), full leather, CD changer, Sat Nav, heated screens, one-tap electric windows, Air Con, Bluetooth for mobile phone. Pretty much everything you need i wouldve thought.

However if i had to give it minus points then in my opinion its not as comfortable at speed as other cars, im not sure i'd want to drive it up and down the motorway all day (i drive a Jag S-Type so maybe im being unfair) and the seats are a bit marmite. I liked them but the seats are a common complaint in the US but its a car made to ferry fat Californians round Los Angeles so it cant be that bad. I'd recommend getting some premium chunky tyres on it though as the eco friendly skinny ones which come as standard really are tiresome on the motorway.

Help Required with New Car Options Please - Alby Back

Mildly used Qashqai? Go for a "Tekna" trimmed one and you'll not be disappointed on the toy front. Easy to get in and out of too. I've just put 80 odd thousand miles on a 2.0d auto 4x4 one without any remarkable drama. My wife has also had a 1.6 petrol manual one for a year and likewise it has been fine. She loves hers.

Help Required with New Car Options Please - TeeCee

>the seats are a bit marmite.

A common complaint on priuschat that. The big gripes are lever, rather than wheel, adjustment and no adjustable lumbar support. Many people moan about back problems, as I did when I got mine.

I did find the solution. They work perfectly well if you sit upright and forward, rather than reclined and back, as if the car were an MPV. Nice and comfy then and more room for the rear passengers as a bonus. I did smack myself on the head when I twigged this, as the fact that the steering wheel lacks reach adjustment should have been a massive clue here....

Help Required with New Car Options Please - retgwte

have a look at the hyundai i20 auto, and the suzuki swift auto, you maybe surprised

Always rather fancied the Qashqai but it is too juicy and probably too wide for the garage! I've looked at the Suzuki but I don't think it's big enough. The more I read about Honda and reliability the more I feel I will have to go for the tried and trusted for the duration. This will probably end up being the only car in the family in a year or less so it will have to be relatively roomy.

Sigh...

Help Required with New Car Options Please - Avant

It looks as if the garage issue is the most difficult one to overcome - aren't some builders crass!

Why not have a longer test run in a Jazz, which seems to come nearest to your ideal: make sure you get the new CVT and not the previous semi-automatic gearbox which was a mistake by Honda. There are a lot of satisfied Jazz owners who presumably find no problem with the steering.

A Mini Countryman (which has 5 doors) would be ideal, but they probably won't come into your budget till they've been around a bit longer.

Ah Countryman! Yes, this would be top of my list if Ihad the budget but sadly I don't. I think the futrther Jazz test drive is probably the best option. I just wish the local Honda garage did not insist in accompanying me in the back - makes me feel like I am a novice who needs watching rather than a 58-year old woman with almost 40 years experience. Mercedes seems to be the only local garage which treats one like an adult. Hey-ho.

Help Required with New Car Options Please - Falkirk Bairn

Down at my local indie for some car TLC. Car fixed and found out the boss had bought a new car....................a petrol Volvo estate!

The Indie's backgound was based in a large lorry company, now gone, where he was chief mechanic. He spends most of the garage hours looking after his small fleet of diesel mini buses (Handicapped School & old folk transport) + a good mix of Joe Blogg's cars/vans.

Why a petrol car? Quote "New diesels are horrendous when things go wrong"

He has lost patience with complicated diesels and even re-engined a 4 year old minibus with an 8 year old "old style diesel engine & gearbox" in the newer body - no electronics and if there is a problem there is a straight forward solution.

Buying the car he was told the diesel Volvo EU5 car will give 45-50 mpg rather than 30-35 but he was not swayed.

We have all been told now by a "diesel expert" that petrol is the way forward.

Help Required with New Car Options Please - RT

All cars are expensive when they go wrong - they get ever more complicated with each new model revision - but it's also true that the rate of component failure continues to go down, even for electronics.

It's not just true of the engines, but of all the other systems in a car.

Just seen the BMW suggestion. Would love a BMW but husband would never speak to me again - more to the point petrol consumption on X3 too heavy and room in rear of series 1 insufficient - had one as a courtesy car for a few days and adored it - realised then why people like BMW.

I've looked again at Prius availability and maybe this IS the way to go - so long as front does not disagree with drive. Will arrange a test drive.

Thanks all for help and advice.

Make sure you check back in with us to give us some updates! Its always a shame when people vanish and you never know what they bought.

Will do!