Ford Mondeo - Mondeo Titanium Estate - 2.0 tdci Econetic - roscoman

Hi All,

Currently had a rushed test drive in a 2010 Mondeo Titanium estate today, so I didnt get a chance to explore the car fully. Its fitted with the econetic 115bhp engine. Anyone any views on the performance of this car with a detuned engine? How well does it overtake, and is there a need for a lot of gear-stirring?

I found my old '05 mondeo 130bhp very sprightly, and I dont want to upgrade to a car with a significant performance downgrade.

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo Titanium Estate - 2.0 tdci Econetic - Avant

If you're buying a year-old car, I doubt that the more powerful TDCI would be much more expensive.

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo Titanium Estate - 2.0 tdci Econetic - jamie745

The econetic's official mpg figures are somewhat overstated and Ford's starting price on the econetic range brand new are too much. The Fiesta Econetic starts at 3k more than the standard models, this is a very expensive way of saving money.

You could probably get a much better deal on a 2 year old 2.0TDCi model.

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo Titanium Estate - 2.0 tdci Econetic - RT

The econetic's official mpg figures are somewhat overstated

Official mpg tests are carried out in accordance with the official test regime.

Most drivers don't get the Official Combined Mpg out of their car, on an overall basis.

The Econetic range is geared up for low tax, low emissions and high fuel economy, thats the whole point of it so the cars are geared up in a certain way for the EU tests and they pass the tests very well but on the road they're not that big an advance over their standard diesels.

Take the Fiesta Econetic, supposed 76mpg, now everybody knows thats highly ambitious but most owners report their mpg is only slightly better compared to their standard TDCi's.

If the OP's interested the Econetics are standard TDCi Ford's which have been lowered slightly, slightly re-done front end for greater aerodynamics, slightly adjusted engine and the gear ratio's have been changed.

Edited by Avant on 18/11/2011 at 22:40

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo Titanium Estate - 2.0 tdci Econetic - thunderbird

The official figures on all cars are well off the truth and get worse with every new model that comes out. All manufacturers know how to get the tests to give figures that are unachievable on planet Earth, you just have to accept that fact.

Stop Start (or whatever they call it) is the biggest con of the lot, how on earth can it help. On the motorway it has no effect whatsoever since you never stop, in town after the first 5 or 6 sets of lights the system senses the battery voltage is down and until you have been on a decent run it does not work again. It probably works nicely in a test cell during the official test but not where I live.

I simply accept that if I buy a 1.6 TDi in a family hatch I will likely get 45 - 50 mpg and not the magic 62.8 mpg that most manufacturers claim (it directly related to 119 CO's and £30 a year RFL).

The misrepresentation is worse with 'eco' cars as thats what their selling point is. On cars which advertise 27mpg the likelyhood is you'll actually realistically get that. My S-Type is returning more than the official figures, but on a car like that they're not going to bother blagging a test are they?

Old Jeeps and Range Rovers which advertise 18mpg actually will do 18mpg. My old 406 HDi actually did do near enough what the figures claimed it would but over representation of economy has become a disease since the Prius came out, it'll do 50-55mpg realistically but thats way short of Toyota's claims, still impressive mind.

Take the so called 88mpg Kia Rio, if anybody gets 88mpg out of that i will give them some money.

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo Titanium Estate - 2.0 tdci Econetic - Collos25

I cannot comment on the Mondeo but the Fiesta econetic used by one our engineers achieves better figures than the official Ford figures.We receive figures of all our lease vehicles every month and all the vehicles apart from a couple reach or are better than the official figure provided by the manufacturer.With over 120 vehicles on our fleet which cover a good cross section of models my Mercedes CLC does far better than the official figures as does my sons BMW 330, I must say employees and partners are on a bonus if they achieve certain conditions mpg is one of the metrics so to drive in an economical manner is to our advantage.

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo Titanium Estate - 2.0 tdci Econetic - daveyjp
in town after the first 5 or 6 sets of lights the system senses the battery voltage is down and until you have been on a decent run it does not work again

Mine doesnt. Just done 6 miles and it stop started more than a dozen times, but only started again when I wanted it to.
Ford Mondeo - Mondeo Titanium Estate - 2.0 tdci Econetic - craig-pd130

I had a Mondeo IV 2.0 TDCI Zetec 140bhp manual for 3.5 years and 38K miles. I averaged a genuine 42.5mpg across all types of driving in that time (probably 30% motorway / open road driving and 70% commuting & urban driving in 30 / 40 limits).

That went pretty well, the engine was well matched to the car. Personally I think the 115bhp might struggle a bit.

I'd imagine the Econetic motor will be OK if you're doing mostly motorway cruising, and you may well see the economy difference in those circumstances.

However, if you're not mostly cruising, the longer gearing of the Econetic may well count against it. Edited to add that the Econetic's lower CO2 emissions would benefit you if you're a company car driver; if you're not, then I'd be tempted to go for a non-Eco model.

Overall, the Mondeo is a very good car.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 18/11/2011 at 17:20

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo Titanium Estate - 2.0 tdci Econetic - roscoman
hi Craig, thanks for your input.

I agree, i think the 115ps output and combined gearing would be tiresome on non-motorway driving. Im going to hold out for the 140ps version.

The other alternative im looking at is a Mazda6 with the newer 2.2d engine...