Peugeot 3008 - Lost car key - LittleBird

I posted this in Technical but have had no replies so thought I'd try here.

I can't find my car key and having torn the house apart I can only conclude it fell out of my pocket whilst I was out and about sometime yesterday or the day before.

I know I need to contact the dealer if I want a replacement but what happens if someone finds it and wanders round the streets looking for the car? Can you 'cancel' a lost key?

Peugeot 3008 - Lost car key - tony g
Hi.
I don't think you can cancel the key ,it may be that when you order a replacement key ,the dealer can enter a different key code into the cars system ,having said that replacement keys are expensive without altering a code.over a £100 for a key.
You need to take your v5 reg doc and proof of Id to a dealer to order one.

If you still have a key for the car and can manage with one key ,why not buy a steering wheel lock from halfords ,they cost about £25,that would provide extra security.don't buy the ones that cover all the steering wheel .They are heavy and difficult to fit.also they need a lot of room in the footwell of the car to store them.

Finally I wouldn't worry to much about someone finding your key ,then finding your car .it's an unlikely event.

Tony g
Peugeot 3008 - Lost car key - LittleBird

Tony thank you so much for your sensible advice, you really calmed me down!

I have bought the steering lock as you suggested. That's given me a bit more peace of mind. I know it's unlikely the key would fall into the wronghands but you just never know, do you?

It's £170 for a new key so I'll need save up. Luckily I have a spare.

Peugeot 3008 - Lost car key - brum

Check the washing machine and the favourite down the side of the sitee cushions.

Often mine turns up in jacket or trouser pockets, usually the jacket/trousers left in the garage that I use for washing, or the good ones duly hung up by the wife in the bedrrom cupboard.

Odds on it'll turn up sooner or later....

Edited by brum on 18/11/2011 at 17:54

Peugeot 3008 - Lost car key - Armitage Shanks {p}

These people may help. www.carkeyhelp.co.uk/.. They will do a coded spare key for under £10 - T*mps*ns wanted £200. It will be more for a remote one obviously but see what they come up with!

Peugeot 3008 - Lost car key - tony g
Hi a s.
I've just had a look at the site .it seems to good to be true .
Have you used them ?
If they can do what they say they could be a godsend.
Missing or faulty car keys have been a problem for me for the last 20 years

I'll certainly try them,thank you.

Tony g
Peugeot 3008 - Lost car key - Armitage Shanks {p}

No I haven't but, as someone pointed out, there can't be more than a few £s worth of technology in a transponder chipped key. I came across them as part of thinking about getting an extra non-remote key for my car.

Peugeot 3008 - Lost car key - bintang
My insurance via broker "insure" includes two tags to attach to the car keys. If some kind person finds a lost key and drops it in the post, it will find its way back to me via insure. I don't know why all insurers don't do this.

(Sorry for the blank posting. Sometimes HJ doesn't "process" me.)

My application for insurance was recently turned down by Allianz because the parking sensors , dealer-fitted on my new Hyundai, using factory approved parts under a factory approved scheme (as Hyundai don't themselves fit them) were not factory fitted. So I wonder if these retro keys couldn't be used as an excuse to reject a claim if the insurer had not been consulted about them.