Skoda Octavia Combi 1.6mpi auto - opinions... - roscoman

Hello All,

Im looking at a low mileage (30k miles) 2008 one of these with the old 8v engine mated to a 6 speed autobox. I know its very old school technology from the engine viewpoint, but maybe thats in its favour.

My main buying criteria is reliability, followed by economy. Anyone any views on this engine/gearbox combination? Also, does anyone have any actual fuel consumption figures for this type of car. Would 35/38mpg be realistic? - It will be mostly rural driving, with a smattering of urban and motorway driving.

Many Thanks..

Skoda Octavia Combi 1.6mpi auto - opinions... - balleballe

Is it the DSG autobox? If so - if so 35mpg with a 1.6 around town should be do-able as my mates 2.0 mated to a DSG does around 33mpg in town

no, its the normal 6 speeder one, im afraid..
Skoda Octavia Combi 1.6mpi auto - opinions... - Avant

If it's the ordinary torque-converter automatic, it won't be nearly as economical as the manual.

This isn't a very powerful engine and if you want lively performance, go for the 1.8; but a manual 1.6 driven gently could suit you well.

Skoda Octavia Combi 1.6mpi auto - opinions... - bazza

I 've just bought an 11 reg 1.6 mpi estate, 1500 miles. I couldn't resist it at 10.5K. I was attracted by the 8valve non- turbo simplicity and although I'm a diesel fan, too many of my relatives, friends and neighbours have had problems with DPFs, injectors etc, for me to go that route, And my mileage has dropped to 10000 a year, so the premium on diesel ( about about £3k) wasn't worth it.. Well, I'm averaging 42 mpg in mixed driving to date, compared to 52 mpg on my 2003 tdi. The motor is perfectly fine, nice and flexible, keeps up nicely with the flow and very refined. I was a bit concerned that it would be a snail to drive but my fears are unfounded. So far I'm well pleased.

hi Bazza, this is where im coming from. i currently have an 05 mondeo tdci with 110k miles that hasnt cost me any money - yet.

its the simplicity of the 8v engine that attracts me. Also cost plays a big factor. Here in Ireland everyone wants a diesel - result is that petrol models are less expensive by a very wide margin.

the actual car im contemplating is elegance spec, with upgraded alloys, xenons, and leather.
the nearest 08 low mileage 1.9 tdi (66k miles) in base spec is 4.5k euros more.

i had a fear that tne octavia auto could have been an alcoholic, good to hear of the experiences from a happy owner!
Skoda Octavia Combi 1.6mpi auto - opinions... - daveyjp

"the nearest 08 low mileage 1.9 tdi (66k miles) in base spec is 4.5k euros more."

There's your answer - even at today's prices €4,500 is a lot of petrol. A friend has one of these, 05 reg. He is over 80, so won't do starship mileages, but he's enver mentioned he's had a problem witth it.

Skoda Octavia Combi 1.6mpi auto - opinions... - bazza

I wouldn't hesitate to have the petrol to be honest. 4500 euro more!!!! - it's a no brainer! Sure, the mpi is old tech, but the 8v pulls nicely and it's a straightforward unit, no turbo, no direct injection, no piezo injectors et etc. it's all fixable off e bay - which matters to me as I will keep it 6 or 7 years. I did think about 3 year old diesel 1.9 tdi ( to avoid the DPF probs) but then there's no warranty cover and a single big bill will wipe any savings made. Also looked at the tsi options, possibly a bit more fuel economy but pay back still a couple of years for me, even on the 1.2. . And there are quite a few issues with them- not sure i would want to own one 4 years down the line until they're better proven. Good luck anyway.