Average Speed Cameras - Balthazar

I have been driving through specs controlled road works on the M1 M25 etc for a couple of years now and as I travel at 50 by my satnav; I am constantly passed by cars lorries vans and bikes who all seem to be unconcerned about these camera. Do they actually work? has anyone been done using them as evidence?

Another worrying development is the habit of HGV;s to travel in the middle lane of these road works, often undertaking traffic in the third lane.

They are effectively blocking in other traffic with nowhere to go if in trouble; this is not just to overtake

Average Speed Cameras - Ethan Edwards

Yes good point. I frequently wonder if the 'dumbasses' know the meaning of the word AVERAGE. Hurtling past then slamming on and trundling through the last one at the required 50 is not going to give you an average of 50 is it.

Either there are an awful lot of unregistered vehicles out there or a lot of people are going to find a unpleasant letter on ther doorstep or as you say they are fake camera's.

I don't want to chance it myself. I set the cruise at the 50 limit (plus a couple of mph) and trundle.

A127 between Bazz and Sarfend - permanent set of Av Speed Camera's ...anyone been done there? Or are they fake?

Actually as regards Bikes they really don't care as the camera's are front facing and bikes don't have front plates. Oh I remember that freedom...bliss. Wish I hadn't sold me bike now.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 07/11/2011 at 13:29

Average Speed Cameras - Bobbin Threadbare

The accuracy of those cameras is quite poor. I used to travel through a set of roadworks on the M6 for several months, with the 50mph 'average speed' cameras. I occasionally went through at 60mph if I forgot to slow down and never got into any trouble. I think a lot of them are fake as well.

Average Speed Cameras - cockle {P}
A127 between Bazz and Sarfend - permanent set of Av Speed Camera's ...anyone been done there? Or are they fake?

There have been some prosecutions there.

I have it on very good authority that they have guideline for prosecution of only those in excess of 58 mph average. Mind you when I go through there I'd be glad to do in excess of 40!

Average Speed Cameras - Reentrant

Motorbikes don't have front numberplates so can't be caught by SPECS.

Average Speed Cameras - bathtub tom

They don't all get away with it. Here's a link to a newspaper local to the M1 J13 - 10: tinyurl.com/67ycb55" target="_blank">tinyurl.com/67ycb55