Winter Tyres - first impressions - Bobbin Threadbare

It'd be nice if people who had fitted winter tyres could give a sort of commentary on them over the winter.

I had Dunlop Winter Sport 4Ds fitted to my Mazda 6 last week. So far, the temperature hasn't dropped into the optimum range for winter tyres, which I believe is 7°C or less. Nevertheless, the tyres have been great in the very wet conditions I've been driving in up here. The grip is really good (I have been testing this out on some steep bends) and I think I paid a fair price for the tyres, fitting, balancing and tracking. There is increased noise from them but I was expecting something like that and it really isn't too bad. I feel safe as well, which is the main thing.

Winter Tyres - first impressions - corax

I had four Vredestein Quadrac's fitted to my Avensis two months ago, and they are lovely tyres. Admittedly they replaced cheapo's on the front, but I have much more grip when pulling away, especially on damp roads - more likely to bog the engine down rather than get wheelspin. They are quiet, smooth and reassuring, I'll let you know what they're like when it gets cold and icy.

I even think they're a good looking tyre - nice wavy pattern on the sidewall. Yep, no doubt about it, I love my Vreds :)

Winter Tyres - first impressions - Avant

Last week I swapped the original 18" low-profile tyres (225-40-18) on my Octavia vRS for 16" steel wheels (£52 each from my Skoda dealer) and 205-55-16 Kléber Quadraxer tyres (£72 each from National in Henley). This was a lot cheaper in total than the £173 per tyre I was quote for (Avon) winter tyres to fit the existing wheels.

Predictably, the ride is a bit softer (suits me fine) with only a very small adverse effect on cornering. Grip is good in the wet. I await their performance in snow and ice, while naturally hoping for a milder winter.

Edited by Avant on 02/11/2011 at 21:54

Winter Tyres - first impressions - jamie745

I put a new battery on the 406 the other week in anticipation of possible arctic weather (considering its still on its original i figured its bound to die soon) but i wont be changing the tyres or anything. My old one went through snow on its standard fit tyres absolutely fine and i was toodling past backward-rolling Audi's and waving at them.

I think the 406's impressive snow performance might be due to the fact its probably the last mass market big car which - even in its top spec guise - is fitted with smallish wheels and chunky tyres as standard.

Of course ive decided its not going to snow anyway so this discussion is futile. :)

Winter Tyres - first impressions - oldtoffee

Last week, I swapped the Kumho Solus KR21s on my Santa Fe for Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtremes. Because I had no choice, I've gone from a 103 load on the Kumhos to 107XL and the Vredesteins feel no firmer and are a bit quieter at speed. Had Wintrac Xtremes on a Subaru Legacy 2 years ago and they were much quieter than the Bridgestone Potenzas.

SWMBO swapped her Contis for Goodyear Ultra Grip 7s on her Fiat 500. She swears they are miles better in the wet especially standing water and she has gone from totally stressed out if caught out having to drive in snow and slush to "not a problem if I need to."

Winter Tyres - first impressions - jamie745

I had a brainwave this morning and now im tempted by the thought of snowy sleety roads as i might take the Jaguar out as a big thumping rear-drive drift car round the town centre.

*pencils that one in*

Winter Tyres - first impressions - Collos25

Here in Germany where we have to fit them by law and for many years most people have fitted them they do what they say on the box I have had Goodyear this year I have Dunlop under normal conditions they feel no different to any othe quality tyre in snow they are marvelous if they wern't I would take them back and get some that were fit for purpose.

But here in Germany we are used to driving in snowy conditions something that baffles most UK drivers what does help is HGV having to fit snow tyres or suffer substantial fines if they get stuck due to the lack of proper snow equipment.

I had a brainwave this morning and now im tempted by the thought of snowy sleety roads as i might take the Jaguar out as a big thumping rear-drive drift car round the town centre.

*pencils that one in*

No J! You'll cry if you scrape the Jag.

I await their performance in snow and ice, while naturally hoping for a milder winter.

I'm thinking along the same lines myself! I'd rather not see snow but I am curious as to how the tyres will act, as I drove the same car in the last lot of snow on regular tyres.

Winter Tyres - first impressions - pugswhdi

I've fitted a pair of Lassa winter tyres to our FRV and also a couple to my mother in laws Arosa. (Not going to enter into any debate about only fitting pairs in this topic)

The FRV seems a little quieter but actual grip levels compared to the goodyear tyres they replaced feel exactly the same to me - I'll wait to see what happens if we get any snow and report back.

The Arosa was on very poor tyres until I replaced them with the 2 Lassa winters up front and 2 regular Avons for the back. The new tyres have transformed the car and I've every confidence it will be great in the snow with the new skinny, aggresive looking tyres with snipes.

My Dad's been using winter tyres for years and has in the past couple of years been on Hankooks which he is happy with and seem to be a good value for larger wheel sizes (i think he has 17 inch wheels but they might be 18 inch).