Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - NP4sons

I have repeated problems with a flat battery on our 2006 Chrysler Grand Voyager 2,8 Turbo Diesel, usually after the car hasn't been used for a few days. Battery has been tested and always charges quickly after a jump start from another car. We have a Dynamic Jump Start, which I subsequently discovered was designed for cars up to 2.0, that doesn't even turn the engine over. Has anyone experienced similar problems with this car and been able to cure the issue ? Can anyone recommend a suitable Jump Starter and a solar powered trickle charger ? Many thanks for any help.

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - Peter.N.

You can check if anything is draining the battery by removing one terminal and connecting an amp meter between the lead and the battery with everything turned off. If it reads more than a few hundred m/a remove each fuse in turn until the current drops and then check what that fuse supplys. It could just be that the battery capacity is low if its the original one and needs replacing.

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - NP4sons

Many thanks for your reply. Battery is fine, it's a drain somewhere. I'll try what you've suggested re identifying the source.

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - PTBENNY

Many thanks for your reply. Battery is fine, it's a drain somewhere. I'll try what you've suggested re identifying the source. Hi, just wondering if you managed to solve this problem. I have a 2006 Grand Voyager ltd xs and have suffered flat batteries for almost 2 years. We have had a replacement battery, we keep the interior lights off and only use the radio if the engine is off. The local RAC man has become my best friend! I have taken it to the dealership who keep checking it and telling me it is fine. When i have asked them if this is a known fault they say no but there are loads of queries on the web about it - so I am not going mad!! Has anyone got a practical solution???

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - EenyBean

Hi All - My wifes 55 plate Grand Voyager Limited Excess is driving me stark raving mad !! The battery seems to continually flatten only for the auto-electrical guys to say that everything "seems fine" and checks out OK. In any event I had a new battery ( a good one ) just over a year ago but it seems that slowly but surely the power eeks out of it - especially during the colder times. Eventually, the tell tale sign ( for me anyway ) is that when the ignition is turned on, instead of the usual dasboard lights coming on, they stay off and the clock needles flip right over and back again. I know then that the battery is getting low. Anyway, I dont know if this helps anybody but I think that there may be some contributory issues that might not be on your radars yet but what I can say is that although short journeys are a problem and kids that use the powered everythings doesnt help but my vehicle runs very cool which I think may be a thermostat issue ( £130 ! ). Because it runs cool, the pesky cabin heater stays on for much longer than it should do and I understand that this could be a big drain on the battery + everything is compounded by short journey's, cold weather, power everything etc. So check to see how long your cabin heater light symbol stays on. The only other thing that might contribute to this continual issue is that on occasion and even with the key out of the ignition, I sometimes get an electrical clicking sound that seems to be coming from behind the CD player. If this were to do this for any length of time, that would possibly contribute to the problems too. Anybody else had that ??

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - Peter.N.

Modern cars have all sorts of electronics running in the background that will discharge the battery when stationary and as the battery ages and looses capacity the problem becomes more obvious.

You can check the 'stand by' consumption by removing one battery terminal and connecting an amp meter between the terminal and battery post with everything turned off, the current should not read more than about 100 m/a if it does pull out one fuse at a time until it drops and then note what that fuse supplies.

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - SuzySue

Ha ha - i've had all the above and more since i bought my Chrylser six and a half years ago. Chrylser seem to have made a big design flaw with the old car and put far too small a battery in the car for the amount of electrics in there. I had the RAC out to mine just this morning as i had (yet another) flat battery. The best advice i've had was from the RAC today who said to get a solar trickle charger which would continually top-up the battery level. Great idea but most of them seem to connect through the cigarette lighter which needs to work when the engine is switched off and the model i have doesn't. Typical!! Has anyone else invested in a solar trickle charger for their Chrysler and if so which model/price and did you buy a solar charge controller too? My other question is how have you had it fitted- directly into the battery (if so, how) or through the onboard diagnostics board (which i believe is the other way to do it)??

To preserve the battery I've been told - don't do short journeys in it -- put it on trickle charge whenever you can, and do a long journey in it whenever you can (so that's great for the environment then!!) I wouldn't have bought one but we've got 4 kids and the space inside is so useful. My other top tip is remember the RAC sell batteries (Bosch spec) for around £200-00 (with 3 year warranty) so if you do breakdown make sure you have a good breakdown service to come and rescue you!!

I look forward to your advice re- trickle chargers.....

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - Fernando P

I use a "smart" CTEK MX3600 charger , which is very useful as it can be clipped to the battery terminals to charge it in situ. I understand that other variations may be cheaper eg from Aldi at certain times. (ctekchargers.co.uk/

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - Chrysler Mike

There are two other similar threads relating to "Replacement Battery" for Chrysler Grand Voyager. I have posted about my happy experience with an alternative 096R spec battery on one of them.

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - bettymiller

Flat battery is a serious case. So if I wear you I would like you to consult tyour car professionals for this. Better yet, see your dealership adviser for this. On the other hand, Chrysler Group LLC is looking for an in-house financing arm. The flexibility should lead to increased sales, industry experts theorize. Source for this article: Chrysler seeking new in-house financing arrangement. I think this is in a move that should bring it consistent with majority owner Fiat SpA

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - pendelfin

Hi Chrysler Mike. Yet another victim of the voyager gel battery here (I have a 2007 2.8CRD). I was wondering if your new battery was still going strong? Have you had any issues with the reduced cranking amps? I'm considering a trickle charger, but would much rather have a reliable battery!!!

Thanks

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - Zappos

Boshe Battery 74ah is about £67 delivered with 4 year warranty.

My theory is that this is the ignition, the key removal is not easy and can leave it sucking energy even if you turn everything off.

Did you find trickle charger?

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - myflatbatterylol

hi i have had the same problem for about six months now im just about to be sectioned lol the wife called into a car shop for a fan belt and the guy asked her if she was having any problems with the car and when she told him about the flat battery he laughed and told her to turn the key off properly if you look at the side of the ignition you will see a mark line your key up with the mark that will shut all the electrics off and it wont drain your battery try it hope it helps.

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - js42uk
Having had a Voyager before with no problems we decided to get another one with all the extras like dvd player and power everything.

Now i am finding out via the internet just what i have done!

Stories abound about non starting - flat but OK batteries....and now i have the same problem.

After a couple of days it just wont start. Jumps ok, charges ok - AA man says the battery is good!! Second AA man suggested it IS an ok battery but not the one for the vehicle. It seems it just can't cope.

Had it checked for a drain and after about 3-4 mins it does shut down correctly with very little drain.

RAC man advises a solar trickle charger?? wtf?? But do i really need all this hassle?? And where is Chrysler in all of this??

So, what i want to know is if i purchase this battery (Optima Red Top RT C 4.2) will it solve my problem?

Your answer may depend on whether i sell the b***** thing before I've really used it!!

Regards

Jon
Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - Voyagerman99

I'm now on my second grand voyager. I bought a 2007 XS Executive with all the trimmings earlier this year. The car had a brand new Chrysler battery (which is just a rebranded Optima Red top) when I bought the car. Twice in the last month the battery has been flat.

The previous 2003 model had a similar problem in that a battery would last a few months. I would then put the trickle charge on for 2 to 3 days. The car would then be fine for 2 to 3 months.

After reading various forums on the problem, I've splashed out on a new non-Chrysler battery. I've just fitted the battery and all seems well.
The battery is the 086/096R Lucas Car Battery from Alpha batteries.
http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/086-096r-lucas-car-battery/

£80 delivered.

The battery claims to be 750CCA and 75AH, the Chrysler one is 800CCA and 50Ah. So the battery should hold a longer charge but may be slightly light on the cold starting amps.

To fit the battery I had to hack saw off a bit of the plastic clip on the battery. This would almost certainly invalidate the battery warranty, but doesn't interfere with the battery itself. Took me about 2 minutes to make the adjustment to the battery.

Just to be clear, I've had a voyager now for 7 years and unless you use a alternative battery, you will have numerous flat battery problems.

I'm pretty sure this will now solve the problem, if not I'll simply put the old battery back in.

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - madf

"The battery claims to be 750CCA and 75AH, the Chrysler one is 800CCA and 50Ah"

50AH ? My Yaris 1.4 diesel's battery is 75AH

Cheapskate Chrysler.

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - pendelfin

Hi. How is your new battery doing? I'm having similar flat battery problems and would rather buy a more suitable battery than a trickle charger. Any issues with the reduced cranking amps?

Thanks

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - natddc

I bought my Voyager at the end of July 2012. Flat Battery problems started at the end ofAugust. I tried a trickle charger - that didn't work. I think the problem is now solved.

A sound system amplifier in the rear of the car drains the battery. I have had it replaced 10 days ago for £280 and no problems since.

The factory-fitted amplifier was replaced with an Alpine PMX-T320 2 Channel Power Amplifier.

Sound systems works OK as well

:) :)

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - Voyagerman99

Just to provide an update on my replacement battery.

I've had no problems with the 086/096R Lucas Car Battery battery since I installed it in September (it's now mid Feb). It's worked perfectly during the freezing weather. We also did a trip skiing in the Alps with no problems where is was well below freezing each morning.

Problem Solved!

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - BINOOB

Yet another victim of the voyager gel battery here (I have a 2007 2.8CRD). I was wondering if your new battery was still going strong? Have you had any issues with the reduced cranking amps? I'm considering a trickle charger, but would much rather have a reliable battery!!!

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - Swedeman

Solved same problem on Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.4 year mod 2003. Could meassure 0,7A over IOD-fuse connection which resulted in drained battery within a day or two. Found out that the stereo was the problem and solved it by cutting the DK BLU/PNK cable on the stereo connector and putting a micro switch on the panel beside the stereo.

Swedeman

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - mark12

i am experiencing the same problems with my 07 grand voyager, its been checked by the so called chrysler experts who said there was nothing wrong, it charges at 14 amps however the drop on it is 1.1 volts so starting in the cold weather doesnt happen unless jump started, today i found by removing the iod fuse the drain drops to 0.30 mili amps roughly where it should be, i have yet to find what the drain is caused by but at least my battery can stay charged and do what its designed to do START THE CAR, by removing the iod fuse it has disabled radio central locking and dvd player next week after hopefully having no further starting issues i can discover which of these is causing the drain.

will let you know peeps wish me luck

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - Firecrest187

I have had the same problems with my 06 Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD. Battery going flat within days, and the sound cutting out intermittently (while the radio control panel continued to light up). Had the battery replaced which solved the problems for a few days, then problem returned, but worse. Started getting all sorts of strange electrical effects - rev counter and speedo flipping to maximum; burning smells in the car; clicks and thuds from audio system. And even fully charged the car was reluctant to start. Had the battery replaced under warranty. Same problem. Spent over £1,000 with mechanic who replaced almost everything in the fuel feed, injectors, starter motor, alternator regulator etc etc.

Eventually went to the Chrysler dealer, who quickly advised that I had the wrong battery! Although new battery was 80Ah versus 50Ah for the factory original, it had insufficient "cranking power". Apparently the ECU detected this which explained some of the odd electrical symptoms. New factory spec battery cost £150. Starting problem now fixed, (but see below). I suspect wrong battery spec is the cause of most of the problems people are reporting on this thread.

Secondly, dealer advised that the battery was draining through the radio amplifier. I'd tried measuring the drain, but its hard to do as connecting the tester across the terminals kicks in the ecu, but it seems to be about 1amp. Dealer said they could replace the amplifier but it would cost £500. I declined, and since then have resorted to taking the fuse out when leaving the car for more than 2-3 days (fuse is one of the pink ones in the fuse box under the bonnet on the nearside).

My question is, is there a DiY solution to the amp problem? Is there just one amplifier, or are there 4 as is suggested on some forums. Do I have to replace them all, or just the faulty one? (I think its the rear nearside speaker, as that is where the clicks and thuds come from). How do I get it out? Where do I get a replacement amp? Anyone know?

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - SimonH73

I too am having the very same problems.

I have a 56 plate Voyager LX CRD and this winter have been plagued by battery issues.

If i drive the car to and from work ( about 20 miles ) and use it every day we have no issues. However when the wife has the car and is using it for short trips for a few days or in fact we dont use the car for 1 day then the issues start.

The current battery in the car seems to be a standard 72Ah ( not sure baout the Cold cranking rating ). When we bought the car 18 months ago, it had just had a new battery.

I have read up on all the issues with the Gel type batteries, so i thought i would invest in a new battery..........Halfords.........enter registration.........easy...........BOSCH 100Ah........900CCA.........much better. HOwever when i go to halfords and look at the battery its size is massive.........353mm long...........which is about 5cm too long for the compartement in which i can out a battery ( even with some chopping about ).

The terminals are also reversed and on the wrong side !

Looking on the internet for batteries is also proving to be frustrating, every battery thats recommended is similar to the one that halfords recommended. The only one i found that fiited was a varta 50Ah !

Frustrated.

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - Anderby

Dunno if this is any good to anyone but we had all the problems described with the battery being flat if you didnt use the car after for about 48 hours.Very frustrating it was as we bought a new battery but it still drained.An auto electrician friend of ours had a look but couldn't find any power shorts but he did notice that there is a spring loaded button just adjacent to the ignition.What he found was that if you held this spring loaded button in while you turned the key backwards and pulled it out then we didnt have any further problems with flat batteries.Apparantly it is not in the owners manual.There is a knack to it but you will know if you havent done it right if when you open your drivers door after taking the key the alarm will beep a couple of times.If you have done it right then you will hear nothing.This issue may be just local to our Grand Voyager but it is worth a try.

All the best

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - Collos25

Dunno if this is any good to anyone but we had all the problems described with the battery being flat if you didnt use the car after for about 48 hours.Very frustrating it was as we bought a new battery but it still drained.An auto electrician friend of ours had a look but couldn't find any power shorts but he did notice that there is a spring loaded button just adjacent to the ignition.What he found was that if you held this spring loaded button in while you turned the key backwards and pulled it out then we didnt have any further problems with flat batteries.Apparantly it is not in the owners manual.There is a knack to it but you will know if you havent done it right if when you open your drivers door after taking the key the alarm will beep a couple of times.If you have done it right then you will hear nothing.This issue may be just local to our Grand Voyager but it is worth a try.

All the best

You could have hit upon the problem so many Chrysler users have with battery drain,I used to run AmIs and they all had the key release button and I used a PT cruiser for a few days recently this had the same if you did not press the button you could not remove the key but I will wager people have pulled the key so as to make the switch inoperable this would leave a multitude of electrical parts still live.

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - SiH

All the best

You could have hit upon the problem so many Chrysler users have with battery drain,I used to run AmIs and they all had the key release button and I used a PT cruiser for a few days recently this had the same if you did not press the button you could not remove the key but I will wager people have pulled the key so as to make the switch inoperable this would leave a multitude of electrical parts still live

Without sounding stupid, can someone post a pic or describe the process to do this and where this "spring loaded button is" please. its driving me (or not as the case may be) crazy!

It would be great if you would post a pic on IMGUR and paste the link to it here so we can see what butten you are talking about

Cheers

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - batbat

All the best

i think this could be the problem solved after reading your advice, this morning i have pushed the button on the ignition and behold the bing bing bing and the dash led milage has now stopped (thank F###) hoping this has cured the problem as I disconnect my battery everytime i leave it for more than 24 hrs

All the best

i think this could be the problem solved after reading your advice, this morning i have pushed the button on the ignition and behold the bing bing bing and the dash led milage has now stopped (thank F###) hoping this has cured the problem as I disconnect my battery everytime i leave it for more than 24 hrs

IT WORKS ONE MONTH DOWN THE LINE EVERYTHING STILL TICKETY BOO

I WOULD BUY YOU A PINT IF I KNEW YOU

WELL DONE SAVED ME A FURTUNE

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - SiH

Batbat, how did you do it, please help!

have you got a picture of this spring button?

sorry took so long i didnt get a notification

there is a button near the ignition that you press and turnthe key to the correct position and hey presto no more bing bing bing or drained battery mines now been 8 months or more, you will know if its in the right position as the milage display goes out and no bing, good luck let me know

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - kamkam

hi batbat,

the only button closest to the ignition is the one that folds the mirrors in - is that the one your are talking about.

can you provide a picture or a sktech for us mere mortals that are not that car savy? My car is a 2006 grand voyager 2.8 CRD, only had it for about 4 weeks - and this proved an unpleasant surprise.

Thanks

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - DiscoD50
Hi, appreciate this a very old post now, but I have a 2.8 voyager (not grand) CRD. And after having this car 4 years I have had this problem for the last 6 months getting progressively worse. After 2 days of a couple of short hops or no use I need at least a jump start to start the car,
I cannot find the switch that is referred too, I’ve got to ask is this switch unique to the grand voyager ?

Has anyone else got a solution to the issues mentioned through this thread?
While extremely frustrating, I’m quite reliyto find that I’m not alone.

Many thanks in advance

Here is a pic of my ignition, the only buttons I see are the wing mirrors and the traction control.

i.imgur.com/zexV6Wp.png

Am I missing something because I can't see any buttons as described

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - Grumpy grandpa

I had similar problems with poor starting with my 2.8 CRD Grand Voyager but noted that the heavy duty batteries from the likes of Halfords just wouldn't fit.

Fortunately, I spotted a comment on another site which suggested that owners like me 'bite the bullet' and purchase the sort of battery fitted in the states - the Odyssey 1500. This is exactly the same size as a normal battery but is an AGM (absorbed glass mat) type which generates a fantastic 1500 amps of cold cranking current whilst having a deep cycle capability - like 2 different batteries in one AND WITH AN 8 TO 10 YEAR DESIGN LIFE!

These are damned expensive - I got mine at a very good price from Devon 4 x 4 - only £218.40 delivered, compared to £250-300 elsewhere. Turned out to be money very well spent, it completely transformed the car and I would recommend it to anyone.

The car starts 1st tIme EVERY TIME even after standing idle for a week or so in sub-zero temperatures.

Read the data on the net chose the one you want (there are more powerful versions) then buy one. They are worth it just for the peace of mind knowing your vehicle will start even at -40°C and are guaranteed for 4 years in road vehicles.

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - Dan_C

I had similar problems with poor starting with my 2.8 CRD Grand Voyager but noted that the heavy duty batteries from the likes of Halfords just wouldn't fit.

Fortunately, I spotted a comment on another site which suggested that owners like me 'bite the bullet' and purchase the sort of battery fitted in the states - the Odyssey 1500. This is exactly the same size as a normal battery but is an AGM (absorbed glass mat) type which generates a fantastic 1500 amps of cold cranking current whilst having a deep cycle capability - like 2 different batteries in one AND WITH AN 8 TO 10 YEAR DESIGN LIFE!

These are damned expensive - I got mine at a very good price from Devon 4 x 4 - only £218.40 delivered, compared to £250-300 elsewhere. Turned out to be money very well spent, it completely transformed the car and I would recommend it to anyone.

The car starts 1st tIme EVERY TIME even after standing idle for a week or so in sub-zero temperatures.

Read the data on the net chose the one you want (there are more powerful versions) then buy one. They are worth it just for the peace of mind knowing your vehicle will start even at -40°C and are guaranteed for 4 years in road vehicles.

Grumpy Grandpa, having also sufferred with this issue for the last 4 years (3 Chrysler replacements and one other after market commercial vehicle spec battery) I read your thread and I have just ordered the same from Devon 4x4 (you should ask for commission). I know it is bearly a month since your post but can I ask if you are still trouble free? As you say this battery is a lot more expensive than others but our recent cold spell should have been a good test. I am close to changing vehicles which is a shame as it is a fantastic, practical family vehicle and our only issue has been the battery.

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - SDMB

I'm having the exact sale problem on my 60 registered Chrysler Grand Voyager. The first time the RAC was able to jump start it. The second time they had to haul it onto the back of a lorry and take it to the dealers as their jump start charger was being drained to flat the minute it was connected. Since everything is electronic the car was stuck in park, the hand brake was stuck on, the window was stuck open, and the stear lock was stuck on! Gues what - the garage say there is nothing wrong with the car and itwas just a flat battery (implication being that I am an idiot woman, left the lights on or something, and it was my fault). So sick of the long list of intermittent problems with this car none of which Chysler seem willing or able to do anything about.

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - Grumpy grandpa

I know I am replying to an old post but after 2 1/2 years of use the Odyssey battery still starts my Grand Voyager 1ST TIME - EVERY TIME. As the beast is expensive to run on short journeys, it doesn't get used regularly and in fact today I ran it for the first time since the New Year - no problem!

I would recommend this battery to any one with a 2.8CRD

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - BINOOB

Yet another victim of the voyager gel battery here (I have a 2007 2.8CRD). I was wondering if your new battery was still going strong? Have you had any issues with the reduced cranking amps? I'm considering a trickle charger, but would much rather have a reliable battery!!!

I was excited to review your comments. I want to buy the one you suggested..There are 2 types of 1500 Odyssey batteries. One is reverse terminal battery.Which one you recommend?

Odyssey PC1500-34/78 Battery

Odyssey PC1500-34 Reverse Terminals Batteryy Pmany C1500-34 Reverse Terminals Battery

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - RubyRubyRubyRuby

Hi mark Interested to read your review, I have a 56 plate Ltd XS bought from new and its currently had 3 batteries, last winter had to jump it nearly every day and top it up with a battery charger every weekend! I didnt dare call green flag again as they visited possibly 12 times in a year! I was recommended to get a trickle charge and stop doing short runs...hmmm thats why I have a big car to go on the school run....Today was going to buy another battery but it was due an MOT so had another garage look at it and guess what he found the same drain as you report, it drops 2 amps when turned off when it should be around 0.20. So to recitiy I now need to take out ta fuse overnight to stop the drain, the fuse is as you say for the Alarm/media system.My local agarge cant fix it, he recommeded going to chrysler to resolve. How have you got on are you stil taking out your fuse every night or has someone found a cure?

I am yet another Chrysler Grand Voyager owner with flat battery issues.

I am getting a replacement and not able to spend silly money but wondering if one is better to buy a replacement battery with a higher CCA or AH to address this problem?

For example

Varta Blue 096 E11 [Ah:74 CCA: 680] (£64)

Varta SILVER E44 [Ah:77 CCA: 780] (£73.50)

I heard that sometimes buying a more powerful battery ends up worse for the car, but with this drain issue something needs to be done.

Edited by Zappos on 25/02/2013 at 10:59

Chrysler Grand Voyager - flat battery - jon brydon
Having had my voyager since new, sept 2005, and had exactly these problems with four batteries.

Back in 2009 I bought an opimate 4 battery charger,

www.thegreenreaper.co.uk/Battery_Chargers/Battery_...l

This can plug straight into the cig light next to the rear nearside sliding door and tickle charges the battery when not in use. You need to make sure the fuses are in the right position, as there needs to be a constant feed to this, otherwise it only becomes 'live' when the ignition is on and that is no good! It simply a case of swapping the fuses over.

So when I know the car is not going to be used for more than 3 days I stick it on charge.

I know it's a pain, but it works, and the car starts when I need it

Hope it helps.