Rover 75 1,8 petrol - Flat battery - Hungarian Dutchman

Hi,

A month ago I bought a 2000 Rover 75 in very good condition. Until last week I did not experience any problem. But after filling up the windscreen wiping fluid the battery is draining. When loaded in rest position it is onlaoding with more than 4 Amps. By excluding checking I found out that it stops unloading when I remove the BCU fuse.

Is it possible that it is caused by spilling wiping fluid on some cables or connectors? I heve no clue where to find the problem and how to cure it.

Hope somebody has a hint.

Regards,

Henk

Hungary

Rover 75 1,8 petrol - Flat battery - injection doc

If it has a sat nav, check boot for water ingress, behind lamps and in spare wheel holder.

check interior light, if it goes off after a few seconds the battery voltage is dropping fast, light should stay on for 18 sec.

Check plenum chamber to see if its filled with water casuing the wiring loom for the ECU to become wet.

Make sure Central locking is working correctley.

Check built in vanity lights in sunvisors are not stuck on.

If its an auto, early models had an electric cooling fan hidden under a wing for the auto cooler and the relay used to stick

Edited by injection doc on 28/10/2011 at 17:03

Rover 75 1,8 petrol - Flat battery - Hungarian Dutchman

Thanks for the reply. I already discovered, that the dropping Amps were from the 18 seconds stay on.

Actually I had to realize that I am a victim of the light bulb conspiracy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1825163/). The battery installation was dated on autumn 2009. The quarantee period is 2 years. Today it is autumn 2011. So it broke down - from one day to another. And this while the car hardly made kilometers since 2009 and was always stalled in a garage. After installation of a new battery everything is OK.

But it feels bad being cheated by planned obsolescence.

Regards,

Henk