Jaguar XJS Soft-top - Mark
A few years I gave my Father one of these for his birthday.

He is now thinking about selling it, mostly because my mother has decided she wants a Cherokee or similar.

Its an M Reg, I think, but I can't remember what year that is. 95 maybe. Its the 3.? engine. Lovely condition, loads of cream coloured leather and stuff. Jag history from new.

Given that I'm several thousand miles away I can't help much more than giving him remote advice and its been 10 years since I did anything with the car market in the UK.

Any comments on Private Sale vs. Part Exchange ? Hassle avoidance is an advantage, even if entails losing some money.

I guess he wants to spend around 15k - 20k on a Cherokee which is obviously relevant to the P.Ex value of the Jag. I am sure that doesn't get him a new Cherokee.

Any and all comments would help. Even a pointer to a site giving second-hand car values would be useful.

Mark.

p.s. He doesn't want a Citroen.
Re: Jaguar XJS Soft-top - honest john
An M reg will be a 4.0 litre: possibly the best XJS convertible. It'w worth about £15k - £17k. Check what others are asking at www.autotrader.co.uk then advertise there for £7.50 a fortnight. There's a groovy new Cherokee on the way with V6 instead of antiquated straight six engines. Unless he's up for a Grand Cherokee, he should wait for the new Cherokee.

HJ