Ford Puma - Passed MOT but 7 Advisory notes :-/ - Puma_Girl

I have had the car 4 yrs, since having the car i've only had one bad MOT which was the breaks, but i'm worried that i've been done, because my MOT today has come up with the following Advisory Items.

001 Nearside front Break pipe slightly corroded

002 Offside front Break pipe slightly corroded

003 Nearside rear Break pipe slightly corroded

004 Offside rear Break pipe slightly corroded

005 Nearside front Break hose slightly corroded

006 Offside rear suspension component mounting presribed area is corroded but not consideded excessive

007 Nearside rear suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive

I do not understand which is serious and not so serious, **slightly** i very vivid description which to me worries me, at the same time The MOT guy will say ohh you'll be fine for the next 2 yrs ???? - Which doesnt bring great thoughts to my mind.

Should i get these parts done way before my Next MOT or is it BYE BYE Puma :-(

Puma_Girl x

Ford Puma - Passed MOT but 7 Advisory notes :-/ - Chris M

I've had advisories in the past that I have ignored and they haven't even been mentioned the following year.

Who services your car? If it's someone other than the MOT place, get a second opinion. The MOTer may just have been thorough to cover his backside. If you intend to keep the car for a few years then maybe bite the bullet. Having all the brake pipes/hoses done in one go will be cheaper than bit by bit. The 006 & 007 may just need cleaning up and some underseal applied. As I said, get a second opinion from someone you can trust.

Ford Puma - Passed MOT but 7 Advisory notes :-/ - Paul G1pdc

good advice from Chris. ,.

another thought would be....run the car for 11months then part-ex it with 1 months MOT, most garges give a minimum £500 trade in. Or even scrap value would be £100-£150. (Aylesbury scrappy prices as of 2 weeks ago)

so my thought would be to run it for almost a year, don't bother getting it serviced and trade in or scrap....

looking on autotrader, the pumas are worth 500-1000 and some greedy dealers asking up to £2000 for a car they stopped making in 2001....

great cars though...i used to own a year 2000. puma before family came along...there was a great owners club called pumapeople. great for help and advice...common issues back then included steamed up head/tail lights, parcel shelves falling out, electric window switches,,,and stone chips behind the doors (thrown up from the front wheels..) and of course as they got older,,,rusty rear wheel arches etc.....I used to put an old sock over the gear knob in the winter....boy did that ally thing get cold hahahaha

Paul.

(Had a panther black puma 1.7 LUX.) not a "puma black"(special edition with black leather)

Ford Puma - Passed MOT but 7 Advisory notes :-/ - Peter.N.

Squirt some oil on the 'slightly corroded' parts and the chances are they will not get any worse.

Ford Puma - Passed MOT but 7 Advisory notes :-/ - Railroad.

MOT advisories are exactly that, advisories. They are intended as items not bad enough to fail but in the opinion of the tester ought to be brought to your attention. They don't necessarily have to be testable items either. Any defect on the car testable or not can be recorded as an advisory. You are under no obligation to take the testers advice, and certainly not to have any repairs carried out by the station that conducted your test.

The MOT test is a set of laid down procedures and methods of testing. Anything that fails must be below the minimum required standard as defined by VOSA. Anything that is defective but not below the minimum standard can be recorded as an advisory.

Ford Puma - Passed MOT but 7 Advisory notes :-/ - Puma_Girl

Thanks guys!! Those comments have been a great help! :-) x

Ford Puma - Passed MOT but 7 Advisory notes :-/ - gordonbennet

Waxoyl, preferably before such advisories, think of it as part of normal car care.