Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - balleballe

Just weighing up the pro's and cons of petrol vs diesel

Based on travelling 100k over the next 4 years in a new shape mazda 6 (2.2d vs 2.0 petrol)

petrol @ 38mpg and diesel @ 50mpg = £3185 saving over the 100k (petrol and diesel at current prices)

If this is the case i'm wondering why people are still going with diesel considering the potential problems.

This is unless i'm underestimating the potential MPG from the diesel. So just curious what others get on the motorway with their diesels - speeds of 70-80mph. If possible brim-to-brim figures.

If you could include the car and engine - that would be great. Thanks

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - oldroverboy

Epica ls 2.0 diesel. manufacturer claims 47.3, best is 46.1 at tolerated speeds ahem! M4 carmarthen to watford. 2 adults 2 suitcases. best fully loaded, belgium and france, 4 adults, boot full, french motorway speeds, ahem! 42.5 mpg..................Car has performed perfectly since purchased for peanuts in aug 2010. but next will be 1.4.or 1.6 petrol. kia ceed/hyundaii30 or cruze 1.6 ls. (5 or 7 year warranties)

so far regeneration happenng almost unnoticed, occasionally whiff of "heat", light only came on once, so kept driving till light went out, but doing precautionary 5000 mile oil changes to avoid diesel contamination in sump!

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - Buster Cambelt

The Legacies always did 45-46 mpg at m/way speeds - about what they did overall too. To be honest I was never aware of any regeneration going on.

The Yeti (VAG 2.0 CRD engine) did about 38 on the m/way. Regeneration happened every 1500 miles or so and, frankly, you couldn't miss it. The temperature gauge rose to near the red zone and it ran even rougher than usual. The instant mpg chnaged to c 15mpg for 5 minutes or so. All totally normal according to three dealers and Skoda UK.

The Yeti also burned oil at an alarming rate, about half a litre for every tankful of fuel.

When I had a Civic 2.2 it turned in 50mpg even when driven with a lead foot. It never burned a drop of oil either and is the most refined diesel I've ever driven, even shading the Legacy.

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - colinh

My last three cars are exactly in line with your consumption figures - 2.0 diesel manual and 2.0l diesel auto (dsg) gave 49 & 50 mph respectively, whilst petrol 2.0l auto gives 38mpg. Bulk of motoring is on motorways with cruise control set at 68mph. These are brim-to-brim figures

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - madf

Yaris d4d 64mpg.

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - daveyjp

Mid to high 40s in various auto and manual diesels from 1400 to 2200 capacity.

My current petrol manual also does mid 40s on a motorway run, but doesn't have all the expensive components now fitted to diesels.

Edited by daveyjp on 24/10/2011 at 11:22

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - Bobbin Threadbare

but doesn't have all the expensive components now fitted to diesels.

Therein lies the extra expense with the Mazda 6 diesel in the OP's post....They're not renowned for their DPF reliability. I've done huge mileage in my petrol one with no probs at all.

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - Big John

Skoda Superb 1.9 pd 100 on UK motorway (legal) run = 50mpg

Skoda Octavia 1.4 16v petrol on UK motorway (legal) run = 46mpg (my father in-law got 52 out of it but he drives a bit slower)

Skoda Superb 1.9 pd 100 on European motorway (130km/h ish) run = 48mpg

Skoda Octavia 1.4 16v petrol on European motorway (130km/h ish) run = 43mpg

Approx but measured tank-tank not from the display.

I have a similar issue - I do about 18k miles/year. Am considering a Skoda Octavia 1.2tsi petrol or 1.6cr diesel. Diesel is over £2k more new and will require cam belt changes (before some one passes comment on the 110k mile interval that is what was stated for the 1.416v when new but was revised to 4years 40k!) but the 1.2tsi petrol has a cam chain. The other possibility is the Hyundai i30 range with the 5year warranty and all engines cam chain.

A friend of mine has a newish Octavia 1.4tsi and usually averages 40+ including town driving but managed 50+ on a trip to Germany this year with reasonably gentle motorway driving.

Edited by Big John on 24/10/2011 at 14:16

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - Bromptonaut

My HDi Xantia is a bit old for valid comparison. Electronically controlled high pressure injection but no DPF. Mid to high forties on a ru

Car can be a pita occasionaly but apart from a valve failing in the injection circuit (ran rough but not grounded) and a lift pump fail (flatback to dealer) the fuelling system has been trouble free over 11yrs/140k.

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - gordonbennet

C2 VTS 1.6HDi, keep it to 70 and it'll return over 60mpg, run it at 80 and it drops to about 50mpg, averages 53mpg local and town, it gets driven quickly but not high speed if that makes sense.

Toyota Hilux 3.0 Auto, now sold, motorway cruising about 30mpg, the manual is better say 32/33, but when people start claiming 37/38 mpg normal for a 2 ton brick and it's robust transmission?

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - Andy P

My 335d does around 50mpg at 70 on the motorway. I don't have brim-to-brim figures as I use other roads as well. Overall mpg is just under 40,

Edited by Andy P on 24/10/2011 at 16:44

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - craig-pd130

2003 Passat B5.5 PD130 manual (no DPF) = averaged 46.5mpg over 60,000 miles measured brim-to-brim. A tankful with lots of motorway driving would typically be 48+ mpg, again actual fuel vs mileage, not computer.

2008 Mondeo IV 2.0TDCI estate, manual with DPF = averaged 42.5mpg over 38,000 miles. A tankful with mostly motorway miles would be around 45mpg.

2011 Volvo V60 2.0 D3 manual = has averaged 46.5mpg over 5,500 miles. Best tankful so far, 49mpg.

These are all company cars, the tax rules introduced in 2002 / 3 heavily favour diesels unless you want to pay high benefit-in-kind tax. The economy to me is a bonus. However, if I was buying privately, I'd still choose a diesel because I like the way they go: the punch and practicality is a good combination.

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - WellKnownSid

2001 C220 CDI auto - 2.2 143cv - used to get 55+ between London and Manchester. High 40's the rest of the time i.e. around town. Best mpg was obtained when the car was run in i.e. > 100,000 miles.

2002 FIAT Marea estate - 1.9 105cv - still getting 5.4l/100km = 52mpg in old money. Just run in - 350,000km on the clock.

The benefit of a diesel is that they'll do well regardless of how they are driven - in town or with a heavy right foot, a petrol's mpg will drop rapidly, whereas most diesels are consistent day-in-day-out IF they get chance to warm up i.e. reasonable runs. Resale will be higher too.

Potential problems... there shouldn't really be any at such a low mileage.

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - Big John

The above was true on older diesels. Later ones are now a nightmare if just driven in town due to Euro V emmisions. Diesel Particulate Filters and associated controls cause all sorts of issues not least lunching engines with diesel contanimation of sump oil due to aborted regen cycles, expensive DPF replacements and future nightmare MOT tests.

2001 C220 CDI auto - 2.2 143cv - used to get 55+ between London and Manchester. High 40's the rest of the time i.e. around town. Best mpg was obtained when the car was run in i.e. > 100,000 miles.

2002 FIAT Marea estate - 1.9 105cv - still getting 5.4l/100km = 52mpg in old money. Just run in - 350,000km on the clock.

The benefit of a diesel is that they'll do well regardless of how they are driven - in town or with a heavy right foot, a petrol's mpg will drop rapidly, whereas most diesels are consistent day-in-day-out IF they get chance to warm up i.e. reasonable runs. Resale will be higher too.

My daily commute is 18 miles each way so I doubt a diesel will get up to optimal temp. I do have 100-200 miles drives a couple times a month though. My mate also has c220 (6 speed manual) and returns 50-55 mpg easily on motorway. He's had so many problems with it though that i'd never consider one. Resale value doesn't matter to me - i'm running it till it dies on me

Might have been true once but I find even that debatable, certainly not the case now with all the paraphenalia that has to be attached to remove the pollutanst and smog.

My preference is for a low pressure turbo petrol, seemless power throughout the whole rev range not the all or nothing delivery that blights most diesels.

Edited by Buster Cambelt on 25/10/2011 at 20:08

so something like the VAG 1.8t engine?

Without doubt, Mrs BC had an Audi A6 with one of those engines and it was great for the time. She ran it for about 10 years and about 120k. The only money I spent on it was for tyres and a battery.

On the rare occasions I drove it I was always really impressed by the serene progress it made and the oodles of power from zero revs right up to the red line.

SAAB used to be good at LPT petrols and I think Volvo did a few when they were a real car company and not the 'me too' clone they became.

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - V4 Heaven

Toyota Carina, 5dr, 1.8 petrol, manual. Never less than 40mpg at 80mph in 8 years of ownership.

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - oldtoffee

Most diesels have different gear ratios to their petrol equivalents so they're turning over at markedly lower rpm at a given speed which makes a big difference on motorways. I've had 65mpg from a 2000 5 speed Passat TDi driven lightly and at 65mph on the motorway during a fuel "crisis" and I now get 32 mpg from my 2011 Santa Fe 2.2 diesel auto at 75-80 mph. Some petrols like Toyota Avenis have high final gear ratios and are good at motorway speeds. I'd check what the Mazdas are set at and if the petrol is close go for that. If its a company car its got to be diesel.

Most diesels have different gear ratios to their petrol equivalents so they're turning over at markedly lower rpm at a given speed which makes a big difference on motorways. I've had 65mpg from a 2000 5 speed Passat TDi driven lightly and at 65mph on the motorway during a fuel "crisis" and I now get 32 mpg from my 2011 Santa Fe 2.2 diesel auto at 75-80 mph. Some petrols like Toyota Avenis have high final gear ratios and are good at motorway speeds. I'd check what the Mazdas are set at and if the petrol is close go for that. If its a company car its got to be diesel.

the sixth gear in the new mazda 6 is pretty high gearing - I test drove one and it wasn't happy being in 6th @60mph - had to go to at least 70 for 6th to feel 'normal' It will be a private purchase - I intend on buying a car with sub 60k miles and essentially running it into the ground over 4-5 years so sell on price for me is irrelevant

The new avensis 1.8 'valvematic' has been looked on favourably for it's economy but the new avensis is just so so ugly to me. Problem is I know nobody with the new 2 litre petrol in the mazda 6 to ask them their mpg. I have the first generation mazda 6 with the 2.0 but the new one is direct injection now, which i'm assuming would make it more frugal?
Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - jamie745

I used to have a Peugeot 406 HDi Automatic which on mostly motorway driving would get around 46mpg which i thought was pretty good but plenty of HDi owners with manual gearboxes report 50+ without much effort even in general day to day driving.

This isnt a point about diesels in particular but i can report my S-Type 3.0 Auto petrol returned a genuine 34mpg on my recent trip to Portsmouth and back which i felt was impressive as its not like i was especially on an 'eco drive' with it.

Edited by jamie745 on 25/10/2011 at 00:24

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - Sparrow

My BMW 318D touring (143 BHP version, 08 reg) easily does 50 on a run. Average over the last few tankfuls in general driving (a bit oftown, A+B roads, some dual carriageways) is 49mpg. Its coming up to 50k miles. It is worse in the winter tho' - drops to 46-47 average. It does seem slightly better than when new.

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - idle_chatterer

My 330d Touring (245PS) 09 would regularly better 50mpg on a motorway run at or around the legal limit with 46 or 47mpg being easily obtainable, close to its overall average in my care. I don't recall the DPF ever regenerating and it used practically no oil in 23K miles.

My 07 A4 Avant 170PD struggled to better 40mpg, even driven like a mimser (below the legal limit) on the motorway it would only scrape 44mpg, it drank expensive oil (1/2l per 5k miles) and regenerated the smelly DPF often.

I think BMW make rather better engines than VAG....

My wife's 2.2 iCTDi Civic could easily manage more than 50mpg on a motorway run and used little oil, it didn't have a DPF but still managed Euro IV, a great example of a 4 cylinder diesel.

My conclusion is that manufacturers figues should be taken with a pinch of salt, cars vary but in fairness both my BMW and our Honda got very close to the manufacturers' claims, I'll refrain from commenting on the Audi.

Edited by idle_chatterer on 25/10/2011 at 15:32

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - injection doc

Passat 2.0 TDi 140BHP DSG 58MPG on motorways crusing and 65-70 It was just brill on fuel and used to get just short of 900 miles brim to brim ! & used to do 45k a year+

Passatt 2.0 170 bhp used to return 47 constant & guzzeled liquid gold !!

Jaguar 2.2d manual used to average 53mpg on long steady runs, best MPG was at 83MPH for some reason so i guess the gearing/tourque was best at this speed

Fiesta 1.6tdci 60+MPG crusing on motorway and if you cruise at 60 it will average 72 !its been brilliant car.

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - BenG

Focus 1.8TDCI (Mk 1, 2003 model):

At indicated 70mph (actual 66mph), all motorway: 55mpg

At indicated 75mph (actual 71mph), mostly motorway: 52.5mpg

Mixed driving, including short-distance commutes and motorway: 48-50mpg

Now got a Seat Leon 1.9TDI but not figured it yet...

I was looking into the honda CDTI's but the reports of clutch/DMF failures put me right off! Great to drive though

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - blindspot

205 diesel

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - getafix

With my Peugeot 806, 2000 , 100K miles, I return 40 mpg (7l per 100km) at french legal speed limits on motormays or 80mph.

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - blindspot
205 diesel corsa b 1.7 yaris 1.4 d4d would all do 60+ if you went at 56 mph on motorways
Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - Roly93

Audi A4 2.0TDI 143 -- mway @ 75 gives 47-48Mpg

Cruising below this in traffic on the motorway can be 50+

Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - Carole4X4
Current diesel Megane ( only 3000 on clock 11 plate ) is only averaging mid to low 40's mpg on motorway trips and that's at below 70mph ( car won't take 6th gear below 74mph )

10 plate Grand Scenic diesel would average high 60's and occasionally just over 70 if on cruise control at 60mph

55 plate Passat 140 diesel mid 60's mpg at 68-75 mph

53 plate cmax 138bhp diesel high 40's and occasionally 50/52 at 70 mph

04 plate Mitsubishi Carisma 1.9 did low 60's at 65-70 occasionally hitting 75-80 mph

53 focus 1.8 tdci mid 50's

X Reg focus 1.8 tddi low 50's

Also currently running a LR discovery 300tdi auto which is giving me mid 30's mpg on a run ( 72,000 on clock )

Advice - DON'T buy a Renault diesel if it has an eco2 diesel engine.
Any - MPG with your diesel - motorway driving - Dovile

aloha. economy results from this motorway mistress are as follows:

* peugeot 1.8d (non-turbo one) = 58mpg average in around 4,000 miles of driving, despite it being my first car and i was not so well practiced with eco-driving techniques with this

*corsa c 1.3cdti = 66mpg average in around 11,000 miles of driving

*fiat 500 1.3 multijet = 65mpg average in just over 140,000 miles of driving

*fiat grande punto 1.9 multijet = had this for a month, done about 2,500miles in it so far.....and about 52mpg. not atall impressed with this car if i'm honest, and i'm looking to change it again.

saying that, i am one of those who is a common fixture of the left-most lane....

(edited- because a few of my words ended up being blanked, and it made my message look weird).......

Edited by Dovile on 26/10/2011 at 21:35