4 tail lights on new cars? - Galad

Is my (albeit sad) observation correct that most new cars are now fitted with 4 tail lights presumably to ensure that should one bulb blow there will be at least 2 working bulbs to keep the vehicle legal after dark?

If this is the case, then I wish the same back-up could apply to headlights - FiL had to get the dealer to replace the headlights on his Scenic which involved removing the front bumper and £75 from his wallet! At least he had the good sense to have both headlights changed at once.

4 tail lights on new cars? - jc2

My 1975 Cortina estate had four rear lights-both sides had a combined stop/tail and a seperate taillight bulb-as did a number of other cars at that time-I wondered if it would pass an MOT with one out.For a pass,you need to show a red light to the rear on either side but you can fail if a light is not working.

Edited by jc2 on 23/10/2011 at 17:43

4 tail lights on new cars? - barney100

I likw some of the Renault designs and stle but its stories like the £75 headlamp bulb renewal that keeps me from buying one. Bulbs should be easily changeable by the owner but have to admit my swmbo's V70 is a real problem with some of the tailbulbs.