Proposed 80 mph limit only for electric cars - 475TBJ

The proposed motorway speed limit increase to 80mph should only apply to electric vehicles, according to energy secretary Chris Huhne.

Sounds to me like another ill thought out idea. Does this apply to hybrids like the Toyota Auris? You can only tell a hybrid Auris from the badge on the boot lid.

Proposed 80 mph limit only for electric cars - Ethan Edwards

I agree with this. It'll exhaust their range really quickly and leave the road free for proper cars.

Proposed 80 mph limit only for electric cars - madf

That's the same guy whose ex wife alleges he was speeding and asked her to take the rap.

Hmmm...a certain lack of credibility perhaps.

(Note: I am trying to be civil about the above.....:-)

Proposed 80 mph limit only for electric cars - AlastairM

The Lib Dems don'treally do themselves any favours on the credibility front do they! Every time I even llok at them with a favourable eye one of them pops up and suggests a somewhat questionable policy - AFAIAC!

Proposed 80 mph limit only for electric cars - TeeCee

He must be as thick as two short ones.

Maybe he'd like to explain how, if everyone were to obey the speed limits, how an electric car doing 80 is supposed to progress smoothly through heavy traffic doing 70 or less?

Teleportation? Something like the Federation phased cloaking device from Star Trek next gen?

Unfortunately for him and his plans, I do not believe that the Laws of Physics are subject to legislative change........

Proposed 80 mph limit only for electric cars - Bobbin Threadbare

Unfortunately for him and his plans, I do not believe that the Laws of Physics are subject to legislative change........

It'd help a lot if the government actually employed some physicists and engineers to unbungle some of the 'facts' that are floating around about traffic flow. Huhne is very misguided if he thinks that having varying speeds will be safe and encourage flow. Also, how do you specify exactly what is allowed to do 80mph? Hybrids? Those eco-drive things (like a Yaris has)? KERS? Where is the cut off? I bet it'll end up being the one person in the UK who has a Tesla that can do it. He'll conk out after about 10 miles anyway.

It's quite simple. MPs can drive at 80 mph . Or 90 . Or 100. And not get nicked.

The plebs can stick to 70.

Proposed 80 mph limit only for electric cars - jamie745

Huhne is rivalling Prescott for the 'biggest idiot involved in transport policy' award.

Prescott never claimed to be clever...Huhne is just a hypocrite and a rather nasty man who tells stories about people behind their backs and then denies it

. In other words, a typical Lib Dem. :-)

With apologies to any honest LDs who may exist and read this...

Edited by madf on 11/10/2011 at 17:51

Prescott was a vile oafish individual with some quite underhand policies, see my other thread where i mentioned PPG13. Huhne is a nasty piece of work in general.

The chances of Lib Dems piping up now are slim mind, most Lib Dems tell people they're homosexual drug dealing drag queens to save the embarassment.

Proposed 80 mph limit only for electric cars - TeeCee

Prescott never claimed to be clever...

So, when he was offered a Ministerial portfolio, why didn't he turn it down saying: "Sorry, I'm way too thick to do that job." then?

Prescott never claimed to be clever...

So, when he was offered a Ministerial portfolio, why didn't he turn it down saying: "Sorry, I'm way too thick to do that job." then?

And turn down a car plus chauffeur, fat salary, Chequers and a pension and security guards? Not to mention free bonking? And free trips abroad VIP all the way?

He never claimed to be clever - but he was not that stupid... He did pretty well for himself. (Pity about the country but I suspect he was not interested in that)

The stupid one was the man who gave him the job so he could screw up.

Edited by madf on 12/10/2011 at 14:23

Proposed 80 mph limit only for electric cars - daveyK_UK

everyone can go 80 (with the exception of hgv) or no one goes 80.another lib dem populist idea to try and seem credible on the green front, when we all know its just talk.

The Lib Dems really are a joke, i have a fiver on them disbanding before the 2015 election. I feel the speed restriction for non car-derived-vans should be abolished, these limits were set in the mid 80s and your average Transit or Sprinter van is much more 'car like' now so i dont see why they should be restricted to 60 on a dual carraigeway.

And while we're at it, the speed limit categories throw up another bizarre question. Goods vehicles over 7.5tonnes are restricted to 60 for the motorway, but a Bus or a Coach (providing its no longer than 12 meters) can do 70. A standard single decker bus under 12 meters long is heavier than 7.5 tonnes when fully laden, over 10 i'd say but its not affected.

Why?

Edited by jamie745 on 13/10/2011 at 00:21