Buying a used 4 x 4 - Stuck in Snow

I am looking to purchase a used 4 x 4 as a second car mainly due to the fact i live up a very steep half mile lane and thanks to the snow we have had for the last two winters was impossible to get up and down it. Looked at a Freelander but put off by bad reports and the Suzuki Grand Vitara which also can be switched to permanent 4 wheel drive. Not sure about Crossovers like the Rav 4 and Ford Kuga how good they actually are in these sort of conditions. Any suggestions ??? Thanks.

Buying a used 4 x 4 - oldtoffee

Have you discounted fitting winter tyres to your current car? Only ask because a 4x4 with summer tyres will eventually get stuck where a fwd or possibly rwd fitted with winter tyres will likely succeed. Of course a 4x4 with winter tyres will be the best option but an expensive one if it is just for a few weeks of the year you might need it.

Crossovers, some more than others will be less effective in some circumstances than a permanent 4wd vehicle or one with 4wd lock as an option for example getting rolling especially on a slope. The Suzuki would be a decent choice IMO or maybe Kia, Hyundai. Depends a fair bit on your budget as what to recommend.

Buying a used 4 x 4 - NARU

How much are you looking to spend?

You could look at the Nissan Terrano/Ford maverick or Toyota Hilux Surf - both are highly capable but not terribly expensive. I'd recommend a Mk2 Shogun/Pajero, but they're quite thirsty and good ones are getting hard to find

How much are you looking to spend?

You could look at the Nissan Terrano/Ford maverick or Toyota Hilux Surf - both are highly capable but not terribly expensive. I'd recommend a Mk2 Shogun/Pajero, but they're quite thirsty and good ones are getting hard to find

I would be looking to spend around £5000 or so... not sure if i should sell my 07 Golf with 28k and buy a year old 4 x 4...the thought of tax / insurance two cars is a pain !!!

Have you discounted fitting winter tyres to your current car? Only ask because a 4x4 with summer tyres will eventually get stuck where a fwd or possibly rwd fitted with winter tyres will likely succeed. Of course a 4x4 with winter tyres will be the best option but an expensive one if it is just for a few weeks of the year you might need it.

Crossovers, some more than others will be less effective in some circumstances than a permanent 4wd vehicle or one with 4wd lock as an option for example getting rolling especially on a slope. The Suzuki would be a decent choice IMO or maybe Kia, Hyundai. Depends a fair bit on your budget as what to recommend.

I'm driving a Golf GT 140 and it's rubbish in the snow, would winter tyres be any good and do you have to inform your insurance company ?

I'm driving a Golf GT 140 and it's rubbish in the snow, would winter tyres be any good and do you have to inform your insurance company ?

My budget is around £5000 or so.....