Ford Focus - Swapping left and right front tyres - Focus_Driver

Is it possible to swap the front left and right tyres on a mk1 focus? The left one is more worn so I want to even out the wear. They are medium range marshall tyres. I would have thought you can change back and front but not on the same axle because of the tread direction.

Ford Focus - Swapping left and right front tyres - bathtub tom

Have they got a direction of rotation on the sidewall? If not then I see no problem.

Ford Focus - Swapping left and right front tyres - Roly93

Have they got a direction of rotation on the sidewall? If not then I see no problem.

It is a problem even if the tyres are not directional. You should never change the direction of rotation of a tyre because you can change the way the belting has lain down, and cause possible premature breakdown of the structure of the tyre. Front to back yes, side to side no.

Roly93.

Oh dear, I've been getting it wrong for the last forty years. How have I managed to survive?

I'll swap my fronts a couple of times during their life, side to side, to balance uneven wear caused by road camber.

Ford Focus - Swapping left and right front tyres - Carole4X4
I agree with Tom, I've always had tyres swapped depending on wear and that includes side to side and front to back.
I also recall bus and wagon companies used to take the wheels/tyres off when they were wearing down and recut the tread into the tyre then replace the wheel on a completely different vehicle never mind opposite axle. I remember watching in amazement at the tyre cutters who worked for the bus company my dad drove for when I was a kid in the early to mid 70's.

Well I'm confused now. Here's my tyre:

www.marshaltyre.co.uk/matracxmkh35.php

They cost £43 each and I've done 8000 miles on them. They're very average tyres. I don't want to change front to back because one of the rear ones has a slow puncture.

Edited by Focus_Driver on 03/10/2011 at 23:26

Looks to me like they're asymmetric, but not directional, so they can go on either side. Take it to a professional place if you're not sure.

You don't have a slow puncture, you've got a puncture! Probably a nail or screw in the tyre that's partially sealing the hole. Just imagine what that's doing to the structure of the tyre every time it goes round and flexes. Although it could be a valve that's got a small leak, or a tyre bead not sealing on the rim.

Take it to a tyre place and get it sorted. Your tyres are less than half the cost of mine and I'm sure your life's worth more than forty three quid!

OK I think I will change them around. I think they are asymmetric, the next tyre down in the link is stated as directional. Might get some Vredestein Sportac 2 next as recommended in another thread.

The rear tyre must have a leaking valve as there are no objects in it. It goes down by 2psi a week before I pump it back up to 30 psi. Its been like that for nearly 2 years, but i agree it needs to be checked.