BMW 3 Series Coupe - tyre issues - misty2011

I have a 1998 bmw 316i coupe. Currently fitted with Falken tyres all round 205 60 R 15. All rated 91 V. Going to be shortly replacing the fronts with 2 part worn winter tyres. Same size except one is michelin (H rating) and the other a budget tyre (T rating). My car manual seems to say that H and T ratings for winter tyres are ok. I cant find anything online to say that fitting these tyres would be illegal...just need some input...

BMW 3 Series Coupe - tyre issues - gordonbennet

I assume that's a typo and you'll be fitting the winter tyres to your driven wheels, the rears.

I won't get into the argument of fitting 2 only or indeed the much lower in the case of T speed ratings, i wouldn't be doing what you are, but the best of luck with it.

BMW 3 Series Coupe - tyre issues - daveyjp

I wouldn't mix speed and load ratings either. I would only have winters on the driven wheels if my car spent all day on low speed roads.

BMW 3 Series Coupe - tyre issues - ianhad2

NEVER mix tyres on the same axle.

BMW 3 Series Coupe - tyre issues - misty2011

Just an update. Am getting 2 matching winter dunlop tyres for the rear wheels. Going to try and source matching for the front. The lower speed rating does worry me a bit

BMW 3 Series Coupe - tyre issues - jamie745

Both H and T rated tyres are good for over 100mph, you wouldnt be doing those kinds of speeds (especially in winter) so the car is perfectly safe. Check your insurance before you get them done mind as some insurance firms are picky and will invalidate the insurance if lower speed rated tyres are used.