VW Eos tdi - Tyre "feathering" - mustangman

SWIMBO's Eos passes it's mot today :-) , but on the advisory was a note saying that all the tyres were "feathered" on the inside edge.

Had this last mot time. I had the wheel alingment checked, & found it within limits, with very minor adjustments required.

The fault does not look bad, little difficult to describe, but basically the tread blocks on the inside are cheese wegde shaped, ie: the remaining tread is not the same height around each block.

I guess this is not an mot failure parameter, but something strange is going on. If the tracking is out, most tyres wear evenly on inside or outside. This looks like the teradblocks are somehow shuffling & creating this wear pattern.

Could a manufacturing problem cause this. Ie: camber or castor angles wrong. ? I'm not sure if it is worth having the wheels alinged again.

Anyone help with a cause for this ??

VW Eos tdi - Tyre "feathering" - daveyjp
I had this problem with Pirelli Assimetrico tyres fitted to my X type. Inner blocks wearing and once at 3mm the front end was all over the place. Changed to Goodyear F1 and the problem went, so it could be a tyre issue rather than tracking.
VW Eos tdi - Tyre "feathering" - mustangman

Could be, but original Continentals & current Falkens look the same.

Looking on the net, it seems to be common ish with Eoses ( Eai ? ) !

VW Eos tdi - Tyre "feathering" - Peter.N.

The cause of inner edge tyre wear is excessive toe out, maybe these tyres are more affected by it for some reason.

VW Eos tdi - Tyre "feathering" - bathtub tom

Could this be 'rubber' suspension mounts that have softened with age and are allowing the alignment to be pulled out whilst power's applied under normal cruise conditions?

VW Eos tdi - Tyre "feathering" - gordonbennet

Could this be 'rubber' suspension mounts that have softened with age and are allowing the alignment to be pulled out whilst power's applied under normal cruise conditions?

Fair point Tom, many cars suffer quite quick suspension wear, hardly surprising the state of the third world urban roads, road calming assault courses etc.

OP you can get a fair feel for suspension wear without jacking the car up, gripping the wheels well try to move the car forwards and backwards by attempting to rotate the wheels, surprising the amount of movement you can get if things are worn.

Obviously you'll try the more usual wheel movements in other plane's as if testing for worn ball joints too.

It's not surprising that the front wheels feather, even my perfectly aligned RWD MB wears all 4 shoulders down too soon but evenly, though my driving is more than partly responsible, not sure why your rears should be the same mind.

edit, ah it's a SWMBO's car...is she a secret girl racer once out of sight..:-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 29/09/2011 at 13:01