KIA Sedona 2.9CRDi 2004 - My MPV has started overheating and juddering - andrewfox365

It has nearly 90000 on the clock and hasn't really been too much trouble over the years. Apart from a steering rack and a starter motor. More recently the turbo went 'pop' which after the repair we thought would mean that we'd be OK again for a few more thousand miles.

But on a local journey yesterday it started juddering and I noticed that the temperature needle was up to the 3/4 mark. I pulled over immediately, lifted the bonnet to cool it down. The temperature seemed to go down pretty quickly so I started off again. But it happened again shortly after, so I stopped again etc. Basically I 'nursed' it to the nearest petrol station where I checked the coolant level which appeared to be low, so I topped it up. But it still needed to be nursed (stop/start) home.

I left it unused overnight to let it really cool down. I have used it again on a very short journey this morning and although it doesn't overheat and judder, because it doesn't have time too, I can tell that it is getting warmer much quicker than it ever used too. So the coolant top up hasn't resolved it.

What could it be?

KIA Sedona 2.9CRDi 2004 - My MPV has started overheating and juddering - madf

Well it could be:

failed thermostat (cheap).

Cylinder head gasket going - (oil in water, water in il,, is oil level rising?, pressurisation of cooling system - feel hoses)..

Blocked cooling pipe Unusual but has it had its coolant change on schedule with new antifreeze?

Radiator furred up... feel top (care) and bottom of radiator when engine hot. If bottom cold, radiator is furred up.

Engine timing wrong. (if it runs ok, unlikely)..

No doubts others will add more..

I'd check radiator first - easy, then oil/water levels/mix and then thermostat...

KIA Sedona 2.9CRDi 2004 - My MPV has started overheating and juddering - Peter.N.

Quite likely the thermoststat.