Best sounds for Electric/Hybrid cars? - jamie745

As you probably know, carmakers now are trying to make their hybrids or electric cars which are silent at slow speeds, produce some kind of audible warning. I bring this up because a colleague recently used the Prius at work and found nobody hears her coming and just wanders in front of the car aimlessly. Personally i think this is unneccessary as theres no reason for it. People should look both ways before stepping into the road so should see it coming, anybody who relies alone on hearing it should be run over as part of natural selection. It shouldnt affect blind people either because dogs can see them like any other car and can stop them at the side of the road, y'know, providing they dont turn it into a 'shared space' which is a great way of lowering the pensions bill.

But my question is this, if you had to design or invent a sound for these cars to make...what would it be?

I'd have it so as you creep along slowly and then the car shouts 'BOO!!' and frightens old dears to death, bring some comedy back to Britains roads.

Thoughts?

Best sounds for Electric/Hybrid cars? - mss1tw

One of these

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cNEi5Ml408

Hahahahahaha!

Ford, Vauxhall etc forget your eco boost engines and start fitting these as standard!

I know we're not supposed to laugh, but you cant help it.

Edited by jamie745 on 26/09/2011 at 18:47

Best sounds for Electric/Hybrid cars? - Andy P

The sound of clattering milk bottles?

Best sounds for Electric/Hybrid cars? - 1litregolfeater

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj-RiitzUpY

Best sounds for Electric/Hybrid cars? - oobuc5

430 cubic inch buick should do it ,blackjack headers /2" pipes and cherries ,ducked out the sides

Best sounds for Electric/Hybrid cars? - TeeCee

The sound of this should do the trick:

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2011/11/06/twin-pulsejet-motorcycle-for-sale/

Best sounds for Electric/Hybrid cars? - Ethan Edwards

Sounds to signify electric vehicles...hmmm laughter? The sound of Morris dancers bells?

Best sounds for Electric/Hybrid cars? - Bobbin Threadbare

The growl of a chihuahua

Best sounds for Electric/Hybrid cars? - richardcroft

"People should look both ways before stepping into the road so should see it coming, anybody who relies alone on hearing it should be run over as part of natural selection."

Here, here. I think a bell should ring much larger than the one cyclists use. Eco friendly, too.

By the way, where's unthrottled got to?

Best sounds for Electric/Hybrid cars? - Farm Hand

Electric/Hybrid cars should have fitted as standard a powerful amplifier and speaker system in to which you can plug in your IPOD to generate your own personal "engine" sound - something like ring tones on your phone.

Just think you could have sound track from whatever you want - a steam engine perhaps? Or what about the clippity clop of all those horses under your bonnet?

Best sounds for Electric/Hybrid cars? - Bobbin Threadbare

By the way, where's unthrottled got to?

He vanished some time in September. I miss his dry commentary. I'm hoping he'll come back.

Best sounds for Electric/Hybrid cars? - Avant

A good old-fashioned Klaxon is the answer (wonderful word, Klaxon).

Yes, we all miss Unthrottled, although he could have come back under another nom de plume.

Incidentally, occasionally Poster A calls for Poster B to be banned if B has annoyed A; the above is the reason why we don't do that.

Incidentally, occasionally Poster A calls for Poster B to be banned if B has annoyed A; the above is the reason why we don't do that.

What about when Poster B only ever bothers to post vile criticisms of Poster A and never posts anything else in the whole of human history? Whats the policy then?

Best sounds for Electric/Hybrid cars? - Kiwi Gary
I once had a discussion wih a

Seems as though unthrottled is back. :)

jamie, if you ban som eone they can always create another non de plume, as Avant has kind of pointed out.

Edited by richardcroft on 15/11/2011 at 08:15

Best sounds for Electric/Hybrid cars? - Ethan Edwards

Your all wrong. Leccy cars do not need additional sound. They should EACH be forced to employ a man with a red flag to walk in front of the vehicle wherever they go.

Should help unemployment right?

There...that fixed it.

They should EACH be forced to employ a man with a red flag to walk in front of the vehicle wherever they go.

I'd like to see him walking at 30mph or any other speed above walking speed.

Best sounds for Electric/Hybrid cars? - madf

You are all wrong.

When the car was invented, survival of the fittest acclerated. When safety features for pedestrians were introduced, it stopped. The electric car restores the status quo. When I buy one, I am going to hang the collected heads in our hall, just as once done with shot game....

I think OAPs are rather poor sport but I ecpect to win a prize for an MP or a Judge...

Needing a sound for an EV is as stupid as those massive trucks with reversing beeps or 'warning! this vehicle is reversing!'

Yeah i kind of saw the million tonne 159 yard long 60 foot high dust truck but just in case i didnt, they helpfully put two little orange lights on it.

Best sounds for Electric/Hybrid cars? - Farm Hand

gotta agree with you madf - OAPs - low tarrif - its just not cricket dear boy.

Now what about twerps concentrating on IPOD/Mobile phone blindly crossing road oblivious to any vehicle? Too easy? Maybe not high tarriff also then.

No. What we need is a category of person which we would be proud to mount on the wall and would raise our esteem amongst our peers - something which takes a bit of skill yes?

How about the increasing number of people who seem to think its acceptable to swing their door open just at the time you are passing them? I mean, it takes accuracy and timing that can only be learned through years of motoring experience with the added kudos of being there at the right place and the right time.

Best sounds for Electric/Hybrid cars? - Avant

This is all down to carelessness, and pedestrians, like any other road user, need to look where they're going. A Rolls-Royce isn't all that much louder than an EV, and we haven't been suggesting that Rollses should carry an extra klaxon or whatever.

Many of the said pedestrians are listening to iPods etc. and wouldn't hear anything less than a 1950s Commer lorry coming up behind them. As Thomas Gray didn't quite write:

The rush-hour tolls the knell of parting day;

The cars wind slowly homeward o'er the lea;

The pedestrian plods his absent-minded way,

And leaves the world.....most unexpectedly.

Best sounds for Electric/Hybrid cars? - Sulphur Man

Maybe a loop recording of the sound a power station makes converting fossil fuels and uranium 237 into electricity?

Or maybe the sound of the oil industry muttering dark conspiracies.

Yes, it's cynical hour. Jump in.