Will I be allowed to retake my driving test? - Maxxine

I'm not very confident driving (even though I have a full licence) and would like to retake my driving test to see if I could pass and hopefully get better. Would I be allowed to do this, as it's surely a sensible thing to do if I'm feeling low on confidence, and I definitely want to do more than just having some refresher lessons and a mock test.

Not sure what I would do if I didn't pass, I'd possibly ask to go back to having a provisional licence... although maybe that would happen anyway if I had failed.

Would I be allowed to re-do the test, and how do I go about it? Do I need to contact DVLA?

Will I be allowed to retake my driving test? - Falkirk Bairn

Ring up a local driving school and get some lessons.

Will I be allowed to retake my driving test? - daveyjp

Look up your local group of the IAM - free tuition and you will learn a lot more than simply redoing what you did when you first learnt.

Will I be allowed to retake my driving test? - Chris M

A driving test is there to prove you can control a car safely and know the rules of the road. I guess you can already do that bit as you have passed the test. If you lack confidence then you need help to boost it in whatever area is required e.g. driving in traffic, on motorways, at night, reversing, whatever. Perhaps going on a skip control course will help for winter driving.

Edited by Chris M on 26/09/2011 at 13:24

Will I be allowed to retake my driving test? - NARU

I'd suggest signing up for pass plus

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers...6

Will I be allowed to retake my driving test? - Ethan Edwards

Whaen I did my first motorbike test I was only interested in riding a automatic scooter- even if it was 400cc. Few years later I fancied riding a 'proper' (well manual motorbike of unfeasibly large CC's).

So I did another test - steep learning curve to get rid of all those bad habits you pick up.

So in answer to the OP - yes it certainly is possible just pick another group. Try for your HGV or tracked vehicles etc.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 26/09/2011 at 14:58

Will I be allowed to retake my driving test? - Bobbin Threadbare

I'm with Marlot on this; try for Pass Plus. It'll just give you a bit of practise and guidance on the bits that worry a lot of people, such as motorways (they can be scary when you first start driving). The only way to overcome this is to keep driving though, as you will become more confident as you experience different road situations and cope with them.

Will I be allowed to retake my driving test? - jamie745

Take some refresher lessons, dont bother with the IAM they just teach the same stuff you've already learned but with different words. Or go out driving with a friend or someone you feel comfortable with. You mustve been a confident driver at some point to be able to pass the test.

Good luck.

Will I be allowed to retake my driving test? - Icey

I'm sorry, I have to disagree with your first comment Jamie. Learning with the IAM will teach you so much more than what you have already learnt to pass the standard driving test.

I know, I've done it, and passed, eventually.

The IAM can teach you so much more about positioning, anticipation, braking, gear changes, in fact everything that is required to become an advanced driver.

If you are going to simply go out with a friend, beware of picking up their bad habits. There are plenty of confident, yet poor drivers. With the IAM you know you're being taught the correct way.

The other thing to remember is that the more experience you get, the more confident you will become, whether its driving a car or anything else in life.

Will I be allowed to retake my driving test? - piggy

I`m with Icey on this one. Join the IAM and get some expert tuition. They are there to help raise driving standards and mentor drivers towards safe driving. However,I do not think they are free,I seem to remember paying something like £60 when I joined about five years ago-plus there is an annual subscription.

Will I be allowed to retake my driving test? - nortones2

The IAM, the police advanced driving course and others of that ilk, also train drivers to observe and plan ahead, in low and high speed conditions. Try learning how to make a running commentary on the developing road scene. Quite salutary. Not, repeat not, covered by the very basic driving test.

Edited by nortones2 on 26/09/2011 at 20:59

Will I be allowed to retake my driving test? - jamie745

also train drivers to observe and plan ahead

That is most certainly covered by driving instructors and every driving lesson book you'll encounter. My instructor focused heavily on observing and planning.

Join the IAM and get some expert tuition

As opposed to the amateur tuition driving instructors give you? What sort of qualifications do IAM instructors have exactly? Driving instructors have to jump through hoops for years for their little green badge, it seems the IAM just declare themselves 'advanced' and people blindly believe them.

Try learning how to make a running commentary on the developing road scene.

My instructor had me doing that as well so as he knew exactly what i was thinking when approaching any hazards or junctions or anything like that.

Im still yet to see anything the IAM offer which a driving instructor doesnt.

The point is the OP is too afraid to drive at all, so surely getting confidence to just drive the car at all has to be the first point? As in 'Basic' rather than...'Advanced'

Edited by jamie745 on 27/09/2011 at 00:01

Will I be allowed to retake my driving test? - bathtub tom

Jamie. You seem to have a downer on IAM. What's your experience?

Will I be allowed to retake my driving test? - Avant

Jamie, please stop bashing the IAM: you have done this already in a previous thread and it was over the top then and now.

Any body seeking to improve driving standards should have our support on a forum like this: but for Maxxine I agree with others that Pass Plus is the one to go for first as it will cover the basic techniques and give her confidence in these.

The other thing to do is to get as much practice of actual driving as possible. Maxxine, because you clearly care about it, you could welll be a better driver than you think you are.