Mondeo Cat Baffle - mark
My mondeo 2.0 1995 recently passed its mot. However with the warm weather and the window open I noticed a rattle a low revs. Apparently its the Baffles in my catalytic converter.Ive been told I can leave it as it could be expensive but I cannot put up the racket.Is about £200 a good price? and what are the consequences of leaving it a few months while I save up??
Mondeo Cat Baffle - David Lacey
We have experienced many rattling cats in our workshop and MOT bay.
Most will still pass an emission test, but not many customers will put up with the noise they make!
It is only (usually) caused by the honeycomb coming loose and rattling within the stainless steel catalyst shell at certain temperatures
£200 fitted for a Mondeo cat seems fairly reasonable to me although we have seen the wire O ring that seals the manifold to the front pipe becoming 'worn' and causing metal to metal contact, thus causing a hellish rattle. New seal (about £3) and all is well.
Re: Mondeo Cat Baffle - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
£200 is about right. I would recommend early replacement as the monolith inside the cat will begin to break up and deposit the bits further down the system possibly blocking it and resulting in a breakdown. Are you sure it is the cat and not simply a loose heat shield?
Re: Mondeo Cat Baffle -thank you - mark
Thanks to both of you for the advice
Re: Mondeo Cat Baffle - dominic clegg
make sure that it is not just the heat shield on the cat that is rattling.
many garages inform people it is the baffles inside the cat when it is only the heat shield.you shouldn't do too much damage if the "baffles" have broken away,although there is a possibility that the loose debris could block up your exhaust causing the vehicle to stall and a possibility of engine damage.