2001 Golf 1.9 TDI 115. - 'STOP check coolant' but level is ok - LewisVWGolf

Hi there, I am hoping someone may be able to help me.
I am getting a 'STOP check coolant' light coming on (usually during start up in the morning). The first time I checked my coolant it was low so topped it up.
When it came on again I checked and the level in the water header tank was on the max level. I topped it up some more and it cleared it for another 2 days then the warning light came on again. I top it up above the max and each time and it clears the warning light. The tank is pressurised and I can't find any sign of a leak. This morning it came on and there were some traces of throf in the water tank and someone mentioned Head Gasket...I checked the main oil cap and there were no signs of any mayo/throf and no sign of white smoke from the exhaust. No signs of loss of power or my temp gague increasing at all.
Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be the sensor is knackered or stuck?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Lewis

2001 Golf 1.9 TDI 115. - 'STOP check coolant' but level is ok - richiek

I had this on a 115 tdi about 5 years ago and the obvious thing is the head gasket especially if you're getting froth in the expansion tank. I had an exhaust gas test done on mine which was fine so it only left 1 thing it could be and that was a hairline crack in the cylinder head. If that's the case you either need a new head or try what I did and put some K Seal in the coolant. That worked a treat for me and I didn't have any problems with it after that.