N/A - C/H Boiler swap. - TeeCee

Here's an interesting one to ponder.

A relative has an '80s house with the original open flued C/H boiler. Attempting to get this changed has thrown up something of a conundrum.

Courtesy of Stalin and Beria (Blair and Brown), we appear to have a situation where any registered plumber catching sight of the thing is obliged to slap a sticker on it, leave the premises and advise the grid to turn the gas off immediately. Being without hot water and the ability to cook while new boiler is ordered and delivered is not an option in a family home and nobody will quote / order without inspecting first. Hello Catch-22! For added fun, the door into the boiler / tank cupboard is lined with asbestos, so we're also talking full hazmat gear in elf 'n safety lala land (it ain't the blue stuff lads.....).

All allegedly in the name of safety, although if someone can explain exactly why creating a massive disincentive to having an "unsafe", older boiler changed is a good idea please do so, as I am stumped.

Gosh, I managed to type that without using any expletives, my self-restraint bump is doing sterling service today!

Anyhow, anyone got any bright ideas for a workaround. So far I have:

Asbestos issue: Non-issue this. Unscrew panel, drop into bag, take to dump and ask for the asbestos bin. This one worked for a colleague in a similar position recently.

Boiler: I'm reckoning that finding a jobbing bloke who'll quietly remove the old one for folding cash, no VAT and no paper trail. Either that or a DIY removal is also on the cards. Any other bright ideas?

Edited by TeeCee on 21/09/2011 at 14:01

N/A - C/H Boiler swap. - Bobbin Threadbare

I'm not sure about the boiler but the asbestos is removable yourself. It's safe to bag up as long as it isn't broken; there are different types of it, of which some are worse than others. Could always wear one of those decorating facemasks from Wickes, and eye goggles if you're worried. I'd go for the eye goggles myself - asbestos breaks along one of two weak axes (it's a crystalline structure) and that's how the fibres come about, and they can get in your eyes which, in the short term, is worse than inhaling it.

N/A - C/H Boiler swap. - Duncan112

Unless the boiler is fitted in sleeping accommodation (bedroom or bed sit) then it is not illegal (although possibly not a terribly good idea)

http://www.nihe.gov.uk/index/yh-home/renting_privately/advice_for_landlords-2/safety-2/gas_safety-2.htm

The above regulations apply to rented property (more onerous than owned property)

It is not unusual for gas engineers to say that a device is illegal in the hope of generating work - your best bet is, as you suggest, to consult a local trusted independant engineer and get him to replace the boiler at your convenience. Installed in the mid 80s it is probably getting towards the end of its design life anyway and will according to sod's law fail at the most inconvenient time.

Prior to removing the asbestos I would wet it thoroughly ( use a garden sprayer ) and wear a face mask and disposable boiler suit. For belt and braces get a second hand vacuum cleaner from a car boot fair and clean up with that, then ditch it with the asbestos. Paint where the asbestos was with gloss paint to seal any remaining fibres in.

Finally tell no one!!

N/A - C/H Boiler swap. - Collos25

It its an 80's house then it will have no asbestos problem/

I replacement boiler will cost no than £600 to buy and could be cosiderably cheaper you then have to payto have it fitted,whatever you do do not use British Gas they charge thousands.I have just replaced a boiler total cost with fitting was under £800.

Thanks Collos, backs up what I thought.

Big flat sheet of heatproof something on the back of the airing cupboard / boiler area door. Looks asbestosy (is that a word?). Apparenty when next-door went down the same route, they resorted to removing the door, as everyone who saw it went "OH NOES IS ASBESTOS!!11!!" and ran for the hills.

I wonder what it really is?

I've already suggested sourcing a boiler directly and then having it fitted rather than allowing some bunch of thieves so pluck a four-figure sum out of thin air. They're thinking of going mains-pressure with a new pressure-capable HW tank. Better showers without the awful "power shower" pump noise and a load of attic space back into the bargain. My suggestion, I live in Europe and it's all done that way here.

Thanks to all who responded, it's all been most helpful.

N/A - C/H Boiler swap. - tmjs

AFAIK the only regulations about boilers is that if you fit a new one it has to a Condensing Boiler. Thin that was John Prescott's idea.

I had my old boiler replaced, took 3 days (had the hot water tank replaced and a couple of other bits at the same time). I've got an immersion heater so I still had hot water, and it was summer so the heating was off anyway.

My gas bill is a lot lower now, the old boiler had a pilot light that was constantly on and I think that used a fair amount of gas.

N/A - C/H Boiler swap. - jc2

Condensing boilers are not a legal requirement! What is the requirement is the efficiency rating and at one time,this rating could only be achieved by "condensing boilers".Boilers of the "old fashioned" type are now available that will meet the efficiency limits.eg.Ideal Mexico HE and others.

N/A - C/H Boiler swap. - Collos25

Would it true to say that this particular model is heat only and has no hot water facility.

N/A - C/H Boiler swap. - madf

We ahve a 1983 boiler and have in the past had the same comments.

The word "spehrical objects" and "prove it" tend to shut them up.

It's designed to frighten the elderly (oops that's me) and ignorant (not me).

Would it true to say that this particular model is heat only and has no hot water facility.

If you mean it lacks a seperate H/W flow as in a combi, then yes. It's yer "bog" setup with a copper tank sat next to it. Usual motorised valve to bias the circulation between H/W and C/H.